Page 94 of 119 FirstFirst ... 4484909192939495969798104 ... LastLast
Results 1,396 to 1,410 of 1778
  1. #1396
    formerly edhopper Kirby101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    6,689

    Default

    Just one of those complexities of humans. While Cosby is a scumbag rapist, he also was one of the most generous and charitable people in comedy.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

  2. #1397
    Boisterously Confused
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,605

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Pryor was the king of stand-up albums, IMO.
    Trying to remember, did Cheech and Chong predate Pryor? They were pretty racy for their day; both in language and content.

  3. #1398
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    14,956

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Pryor was the king of stand-up albums, IMO.
    Pryor's "Mudbone" routine was an absolute riot. Yeah, he was the boss back in the day.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

  4. #1399
    DC Comics Forum Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    9,850

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Trying to remember, did Cheech and Chong predate Pryor? They were pretty racy for their day; both in language and content.
    I remember listening to them for the first time on my school bus not that long after Up in Smoke came out (I would have been in 7th grade then). Yeah, it was pretty daring, but it didn't have a tenth of the substance of a Pryor album, IMO.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

    Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

    Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

  5. #1400
    DC Comics Forum Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    9,850

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Just one of those complexities of humans. While Cosby is a scumbag rapist, he also was one of the most generous and charitable people in comedy.
    One of the funniest, too. In fact, I would rank his albums as almost as great as Pryor's, even though they seemed so innocuous in comparison. IIRC, I think I first saw him on The Flip Wilson Show circa 1970 (I believe reruns of I Spy came out a little later).

    Doesn't excuse his other stuff, of course.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

    Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

    Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

  6. #1401
    formerly edhopper Kirby101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    6,689

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    One of the funniest, too. In fact, I would rank his albums as almost as great as Pryor's, even though they seemed so innocuous in comparison. IIRC, I think I first saw him on The Flip Wilson Show circa 1970 (I believe reruns of I Spy came out a little later).

    Doesn't excuse his other stuff, of course.

    No, it doesn't. He was a favorite of mine in my childhood, I loved his albums, my brother and I listened to them over and over. Particularly "Wonderfulness" and "To My Brother Russell, Whom I Slept With".
    I Spy was also a favorite show.
    I doubt I could listen to him and laugh now.

    But that's the Art vs Artist thing, "Chinatown" is still a great film, even though Polanski is a rapist.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

  7. #1402
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    14,956

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    But that's the Art vs Artist thing, "Chinatown" is still a great film, even though Polanski is a rapist.
    Same with me when it comes to House of Cards. I still enjoy that show, even though Kevin Spacey is a predator scumbag.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

  8. #1403
    Death becomes you Osiris-Rex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Memphis
    Posts
    4,778

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    One of the funniest, too. In fact, I would rank his albums as almost as great as Pryor's, even though they seemed so innocuous in comparison. IIRC, I think I first saw him on The Flip Wilson Show circa 1970 (I believe reruns of I Spy came out a little later).

    Doesn't excuse his other stuff, of course.
    No, I Spy came out in 1965, The Flip Wilson Show wasn't until 1970. I Spy was rather daring for its time, casting a black actor as a lead in a serious drama and having him as the equal of the white lead,
    not just as a sidekick, chauffeur, butler or otherwise subservient. Before black men were mostly just supporting characters, usually servants.

  9. #1404
    DC Comics Forum Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    9,850

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    No, I Spy came out in 1965, The Flip Wilson Show wasn't until 1970.
    Right, but I remember watching the reruns of I Spy on WOR around 1970-71.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

    Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

    Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

  10. #1405
    DC Comics Forum Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    9,850

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    No, it doesn't. He was a favorite of mine in my childhood, I loved his albums, my brother and I listened to them over and over. Particularly "Wonderfulness" and "To My Brother Russell, Whom I Slept With".
    I Spy was also a favorite show.
    I doubt I could listen to him and laugh now.
    I also loved him on The Electric Company, The Bill Cosby Show (reruns), and Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids as a youngster.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

    Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

    Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

  11. #1406
    DC Comics Forum Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    9,850

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Same with me when it comes to House of Cards. I still enjoy that show, even though Kevin Spacey is a predator scumbag.
    It's not easy to differentiate between the two sometimes, though.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

    Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

    Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

  12. #1407
    FF purist/snob CaptCleghorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    3,729

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    It's not easy to differentiate between the two sometimes, though.
    Not for some.

    CBS cares.

    https://www.cbs.com/shows/michael-jacksons-halloween/

  13. #1408
    DC Comics Forum Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    9,850

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Heh. Yeah....
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

    Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

    Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

  14. #1409
    Ultimate Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    12,880

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Trying to remember, did Cheech and Chong predate Pryor? They were pretty racy for their day; both in language and content.
    Eh...career-wise Richard started sooner like the early mid 60's, but he started out as a more mainstream comic and slowly added more edgy material into his act.

  15. #1410
    Death becomes you Osiris-Rex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Memphis
    Posts
    4,778

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Trying to remember, did Cheech and Chong predate Pryor? They were pretty racy for their day; both in language and content.
    Cheech & Chong didn't really use all that much hard profanity. They were mostly controversial because they made it look like it was fun to be a stoner when everyone else was trying to claim how dangerous marijuana was.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •