Default BC: How Utilizing DC Comics is Changing WB

ha! i was just gonna post this.

it is a very interesting article but it does show the lack of foresight the average exec has. thankfully Kevin Tsujihara could see the potential the DC Universe has on the small screen. it took Disney cashing in on Marvel for someone to finally realize that there are millions and potentially billions of dollars to be made here if they just changed their strategy a bit. glad it's leading to more cohesion between the media divisions. hopefully it'll mean we'll see more characters show up in the individual tv universes.
    though there are still some things that are off limits. the Suicide Squad probably won't be seen on Arrow any more and Waller has appeared very infrequently. I wouldn't be surprised if Maru Bennett's Deathstroke is officially retired as well. some of these limitations make sense. fans are already complaining about Ezra playing the Flash in the cinematic universe instead of Grant Gustin. so it's probably a good idea to avoid the people growing too attached to a certain version of a character if they're introducing a new version with a much bigger budget at stake. the Flash issue itself is unavoidable since the show is such a success. but that may the exception here.
    Last edited by Robotman; 11-24-2015 at 11:55 AM.

I also think that people can roll with different versions of the same character as long as there's some variance in tone, look, and execution. For example at one point we had Batman in Young Justice, Brave & The Bold, and the Dark Knight trilogy. No one was confused about why B'wanna Beast wasn't showing up on the movies, or why there were different Robins between the cartoons.

For Flash, I think there isnt much to worry about. The movies look like they're going to have a very different approach than the CW shows. Sure, some people online will bitch and moan, but that's not likely to reflect the audience as a whole.

As for WB itself....we'll see. They've been successfully integrating their DC properties in larger media since before most of us were born, so I can sort of see them not giving much thought or attention to the success of Marvel these last few years. After all, they've been playing this game much longer and could see the current popularity of the genre as a flash-in-the-pan pop trend. But still, we're fifteen years into the rise of the modern superhero film and for WB/DC to just now be getting their ducks in a row and recognizing the long-term potential is pretty disconcerting. And we've heard from at least a few execs that they've got "big plans" for DC which dont pan out. So....fingers crossed, but for the most part Im just waiting for the next major regime change at both WB and DC.
    Higher, Further, Faster...More.

Action Comics by Greg Pak! It's Action Pak'd!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I also think that people can roll with different versions of the same character as long as there's some variance in tone, look, and execution. For example at one point we had Batman in Young Justice, Brave & The Bold, and the Dark Knight trilogy. No one was confused about why B'wanna Beast wasn't showing up on the movies, or why there were different Robins between the cartoons.

For Flash, I think there isnt much to worry about. The movies look like they're going to have a very different approach than the CW shows. Sure, some people online will bitch and moan, but that's not likely to reflect the audience as a whole.

As for WB itself....we'll see. They've been successfully integrating their DC properties in larger media since before most of us were born, so I can sort of see them not giving much thought or attention to the success of Marvel these last few years. After all, they've been playing this game much longer and could see the current popularity of the genre as a flash-in-the-pan pop trend. But still, we're fifteen years into the rise of the modern superhero film and for WB/DC to just now be getting their ducks in a row and recognizing the long-term potential is pretty disconcerting. And we've heard from at least a few execs that they've got "big plans" for DC which dont pan out. So....fingers crossed, but for the most part Im just waiting for the next major regime change at both WB and DC.
    cartoons are a lot different than live action. artist interpretation is much easier to change than an actual actor. i think Marvel has gotten people so used to the interconnected cinematic and tv universe that it will be jarring at first for fans to see someone else play The Flash. but from what little we've heard about the movie it sounds like his costume will look quite different than the more traditional Flash costume worn by Gustin. i think it was pretty damn smart to introduce the multiverse on the show. that way fans can understand that there are many different versions of these characters out there and that it is actually a big part of the mythology.

Veteran Member

This article proved that DC do not need to follow marvel's strategy to be successful. In fact it's crucial that DC flesh out their characters without much restrictions.

At least the DC Extended Universe won't feel small. This is leading me to believe that Black Canary showing up in the Justice League is no rumor. Maybe we can see Green Arrow, Hawkman & Supergirl on the big screen now.
    "You don't have to like me. But you will respect me."

-Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    ha! i was just gonna post this.

it is a very interesting article but it does show the lack of foresight the average exec has. thankfully Kevin Tsujihara could see the potential the DC Universe has on the small screen. it took Disney cashing in on Marvel for someone to finally realize that there are millions and potentially billions of dollars to be made here if they just changed their strategy a bit. glad it's leading to more cohesion between the media divisions. hopefully it'll mean we'll see more characters show up in the individual tv universes.
    though there are still some things that are off limits. the Suicide Squad probably won't be seen on Arrow any more and Waller has appeared very infrequently. I wouldn't be surprised if Maru Bennett's Deathstroke is officially retired as well. some of these limitations make sense. fans are already complaining about Ezra playing the Flash in the cinematic universe instead of Grant Gustin. so it's probably a good idea to avoid the people growing too attached to a certain version of a character if they're introducing a new version with a much bigger budget at stake. the Flash issue itself is unavoidable since the show is such a success. but that may the exception here.
    yup, this is what Ben Affleck had to say about Kevin Tsujihara in the latest interview:

quote:
    In case it wasn’t clear that expectations for “Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice” are running extremely high at Warner Bros., star Ben Affleck put it in plain language.

“I think there is a ton of pressure on it,” Affleck said of the film, in which he plays Batman. “I mean I would be bulls—ting you to say there isn’t.”

Affleck was speaking about the March 25 film in connection with this week’s Variety cover story on Warners CEO Kevin Tsujihara. The actor-director spoke about how much he has enjoyed working with Tsujihara and how deeply involved the studio boss has been in the making of the superhero franchise picture and how he believes pushing the film into 2016 will pay off, big time.

Affleck said the press has had a lot to say about the struggles of many Warners’ films in 2015, but predicted that “Batman v Superman” will help launch a turnaround at the studio.

“You’ll see next year they are going to have a great year,” Affleck said. “They are now developing … probably the single greatest under-exploited IP asset in the entertainment business, the DC comic world. And now they have started to exploit that and you are going to see that blossom. And, when it does, it’s going to be massive.”

The Batman star praised Tsujihara for his deep involvement in “Batman v Superman,” which started with script meetings for the film.

“I was really impressed by that and by the intelligence of his notes, and the fact that he cared,” said Affleck. “It was not like some guys, especially at that level, where it would be, ‘We need a franchise movie … we just need a movie with the names ‘Batman’ and ‘Superman’ on it and it doesn’t matter what it is. For him, that wasn’t it. He was willing to take longer to make the movie to get it right to make it a movie of higher quality.”

Affleck’s commitment to the DC world is large. The star and WB rearranged the rest of his film schedule to make sure he had time for another DC spinoff, believed to be titled “The Batman,” and for his work on “Justice League,” which is expected to begin shooting next spring. Two other Affleck projects — the Gavin O’Connor-directed “The Accountant” and an adaptation of the Dennis Lehane novel “Live By Night” — moved to accommodate the DC-based projects.

The actor sounded both annoyed and accepting of the massive expectations that await the “Batman v Superman” debut.

“We are a very kind of instant gratification culture when it comes to analyzing the film business. And there is a lot of hyperbole involved,” Affleck said. “Nonetheless, there’s a lot of pressure on it. If it doesn’t do well, that will be extremely disappointing.”

But he said he isn’t sure what will be judged as success, concluding: “I leave that to the experts to decide.”
    I'm sure the DCEU will be bigger than MCU in terms of box office. MOS already made more money WW than most of Marvel's phase 1, for the exception of Avengers. BVS will follow suit.

Quote Originally Posted by golgi View Post
    I'm sure the DCEU will be bigger than MCU in terms of box office. MOS already made more money WW than most of Marvel's phase 1, for the exception of Avengers. BVS will follow suit.
    I wouldnt be at all surprised. Really, would anyone? Batman, Wonder Woman, Superman, even Flash and Aquaman, they're household names going back decades. Other than Spider-Man, Marvel doesnt have anyone with that kind of cultural clout.

Marvel has built up steam with each new film, using the shared universe concept to hype and built the individual films up. The problem DC will face will be the opposite; they're sure to start strong because of the name power of their IP's, but if the product doesnt catch on then each subsequent film will do worse.
    Higher, Further, Faster...More.

Action Comics by Greg Pak! It's Action Pak'd!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I wouldnt be at all surprised. Really, would anyone? Batman, Wonder Woman, Superman, even Flash and Aquaman, they're household names going back decades. Other than Spider-Man, Marvel doesnt have anyone with that kind of cultural clout.

Marvel has built up steam with each new film, using the shared universe concept to hype and built the individual films up. The problem DC will face will be the opposite; they're sure to start strong because of the name power of their IP's, but if the product doesnt catch on then each subsequent film will do worse.
    True, I hope WB's "Big Plan" is a good one.

One thing that has me more excited is their director lineups:

David Ayer
    Patty Jenkins
    James Wan
    and possibly Aharon Keshales and Navot Papushado

All diverse and solid directors.

The difference between now and then, is that Kevin T. is in charge and he finally sees the bigger picture.