View Poll Results: Who is your favorite LGBT character at DC Comics?

Voters
213. You may not vote on this poll
  • Batwoman

    48 22.54%
  • Catman

    6 2.82%
  • Harley Quinn

    7 3.29%
  • Catwoman

    9 4.23%
  • Pied Piper

    11 5.16%
  • Poison Ivy

    11 5.16%
  • Midnighter

    56 26.29%
  • Constantine

    17 7.98%
  • Scandal Savage

    1 0.47%
  • Shrinking Violet

    1 0.47%
  • Renee Montoya

    16 7.51%
  • Bunker

    8 3.76%
  • Obsidian

    9 4.23%
  • Alan Scott

    5 2.35%
  • Other (not listed)

    8 3.76%
Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 395
  1. #46
    BANNED
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,417

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spyderbytes View Post
    Me too!



    I disagree wholeheartedly. I'm not reading Secret Six atm, so I can't comment on Catman, but I don't see how Catwoman and Ivy are failed bi characters. Catwoman was just recently officially outed, so it's not like there's a whole lot of time for in depth analysis on her sexual orientation. She's bisexual no matter how many men vs women she's been with. Plus, Ivy and Harley are shown in bed together. I'm not sure what more is needed for them to be successful bi characters.
    They're bi sexual only if you want them to be,the writers have given you just enough to satisfy a fantasy but they're not committed to actually having them identified as such. Catwoman was a case of the writer merely testing the waters, she never followed through on it, we never got a story exploring that side of Catwoman not with Eiko or some other character.
    Same goes for Ivy,she's only bi to satisfy the fantasies of a shipper crowd and serve another characters story. When that side of her gets explored somewhere else and for herthen I'll personally consider her a successful bi. Right now it's just Harley and her fantasy and the fantasy of a vicious Harley fan club.

  2. #47
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    806

    Default

    The relative lack of votes for Obsidian makes me weep.
    Black Panther, Black Panther: World of Wakanda, Doctor Strange and the Sorcerers Supreme, Hulk, Iceman, Ms. Marvel, Nova, Spider-Gwen, Spider-Man, Totally Awesome Hulk
    Archie, Betty & Veronica, Jughead, Descender, Mezolith, Morning Glories, Saga, The Wicked + The Divine, The Woods,...
    Action Comics, Batman, Batman Beyond, Batwoman, Blue Beetle, Deathstroke, Detective Comics, Gotham Academy, Mother Panic, Nightwing, Shade, Superman, Super-Sons, Titans, Trinity, Wonder Woman

  3. #48
    Astonishing Member spyderbytes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    3,298

    Default

    Apparently there's more Ivy and Harley loveliness in today's issue of Harley Quinn.
    http://www.comicbookresources.com/ar...reaking_banner

  4. #49

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by twincast View Post
    The relative lack of votes for Obsidian makes me weep.
    Yeah, I liked him. And Damon too. But hard to get votes for a character DC erased from the current books.
    Last edited by Anduinel; 02-17-2016 at 11:23 AM.

    This Week's Comics: Dragon Age: Knight Errant #4, Kill the Minotaur #3, Rat Queens #5

  5. #50
    Veteran Member PretenderNX01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    2,952

    Default

    I posted this in the other thread:

    Batwoman Makes Her Surprisingly Gay (And Surprisingly Great) Animated Debut in “Batman: Bad Blood”

    And it presents her whole story against the casual, matter-of-fact backdrop of her sexuality. It is not a big deal to anyone inside the Bat-universe; in fact, to them, Kate being gay is the least interesting thing about her.

    In Bad Blood, Kate goes to a gay bar and flirts with Renee Montoya; she chats with her worried father about how he just wants her to find a good girl and settle down; she jokes with Dick about how it took her a long time to figure out women, too. And at the end of the film, she’s the only character whose happy ending includes a romantic interest.
    Quote Originally Posted by spyderbytes View Post
    Apparently there's more Ivy and Harley loveliness in today's issue of Harley Quinn.
    http://www.comicbookresources.com/ar...reaking_banner
    I thought they already confirmed it but I guess it's extra confirmed?

    I wonder where she'll go in the movies? Right now she's apparently with or after Joker but they haven't introduced Ivy yet to the movie universe.
    WB seems to want PG13 out of it but maybe after Deadpool they'll go for edgier and not care about China and Russia either.

    Quote Originally Posted by twincast View Post
    The relative lack of votes for Obsidian makes me weep.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    Yeah, I liked him. And Damon too. But hard to get votes for a character DC erased from the current books.
    Yeah he had an interesting life but got erased and then they turned his dad gay to make up for it. Meh.

  6. #51
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,901

    Default

    Had to go with John Constantine. Love that guy.
    Favorite Mythologies: Green Lantern, Batman (pre-Flashpoint), Spider-Man, The Fantastic Four, the Justice League/JLA (pre-Flashpoint)

    DC Pulls - Action Comics; Batman; Hal Jordan & the GLC; Superman; Wonder Woman

    Marvel Pulls - Captain America: Steve Rogers; The Mighty Thor

    Non-Big Two Pulls - Saga; Archie

  7. #52
    Astonishing Member spyderbytes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    3,298

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PretenderNX01 View Post
    I watched Bad Blood last night, and while I did have a few problems with some of the characters, Batwoman was not one of them. I thought she stole the show, and I was very surprised with how well they handled her sexuality. Her flirting with Montoya was very cute.

    I thought they already confirmed it but I guess it's extra confirmed?

    I wonder where she'll go in the movies? Right now she's apparently with or after Joker but they haven't introduced Ivy yet to the movie universe.
    WB seems to want PG13 out of it but maybe after Deadpool they'll go for edgier and not care about China and Russia either.
    One glance through this thread indicates that whatever confirmation they've had is apparently not good enough. I will say that I hope we might see at least a nod to Harley's sexuality if not in this movie then in another DCEU film. WB has already done a very good job at showing racial diversity with the casts of the League and the Squad. Here's to hoping they don't shy away from sexual diversity either. Given that they've cast an openly queer actor as the Flash (and possibly Mera in the Amber Heard rumors are true), I'm pretty happy with what they're doing so far.

  8. #53
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    409

    Default

    I won't have a favourite until theres a major trans superhero.....

  9. #54
    Astonishing Member spyderbytes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    3,298

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fairyprincess View Post
    I won't have a favourite until theres a major trans superhero.....
    It's a shame we still don't have one yet from either major publisher. I wish Gail could have stayed on Batgirl a little bit longer to develop Alysia some more. Supposedly she had wanted to give her a stint as Batgirl. It would have been cool to see her develop from Batgirl into a vigilante in her own right.

  10. #55
    Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Southampton, UK
    Posts
    2,159

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by twincast View Post
    The relative lack of votes for Obsidian makes me weep.
    He was a decent character that was always poorly used. When he wasnt being made wallpaper, he was being made in to a villain.

    Still, erasing him from history just to grab a headline was typical DC
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

  11. #56
    Ultimate Member t hedge coke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Weihai
    Posts
    7,634

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post
    Still, erasing him from history just to grab a headline was typical DC
    What headline was there in "The Earth 2 guys are young now"?

    Because that was DC's plan. Robinson has been very open that he made the Earth 2 Green Lantern gay because we were, fait accompli, losing Obsidian and Jade.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fairyprincess View Post
    I won't have a favourite until theres a major trans superhero.....
    Major how?

    DC's not going to have a flagship superhero who's trans. But, for sure, Coagula (and what was done with Cliff, in terms of his gender-as-performative-inclination) was huge for me at the time. Fanny was totally a superhero and The Invisibles was certainly niche big, with Lord Fanny as a big time hero.

    (And, god, for similar reasons, now I miss Milligan's Infinity Inc....)
    Last edited by t hedge coke; 03-16-2016 at 09:22 PM.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

  12. #57
    Ultimate Member Robotman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    California
    Posts
    5,361

    Default

    Tie between Midnighter, Batwoman, and Harley.

    I'm so sad the Midnighter book is ending. Orlando has done such an amazing job bringing him back to his ultra-violent glory.

  13. #58
    Incredible Member Adekis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    930

    Default

    Is Renee Montoya even alive right now? I thought she was killed off and unceremoniously replaced with Maggie Sawyer, wrenched from her rightful place in Superman's supporting cast. She probably would have gotten my vote if she'd been on the poll.

    Also: I have a habit of head-canoning characters as part of the QUILTBAG spectrum. For example: Bruce Wayne? Totally asexual and aromantic, and no amount of stories where he kisses a woman will actually convince me that he's not (mostly because I think they're boring- Batman being capable of romance doesn't factor in to my "Platonic form" of the character).

    Superman and Wonder Woman? Both bi, Diana because I like the idea of Themyscira being homonormative, and Kal because did you ever see the Legion of Super-Heroes cartoon? He and Brainy had it going on!

    Speaking of Brainiac Five, he should have been on the poll list- even if the romance with Superman was mostly implication, he has definitely kissed Invisible Kid on panel, and also Supergirl- so he's pretty clearly bi.

    I voted for Bunker. I just really like the kid. I hope he does end up as a Junior Justice Leaguer someday, like Arsenal predicted.

  14. #59
    Ultimate Member t hedge coke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Weihai
    Posts
    7,634

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    I have a habit of head-canoning characters as part of the QUILTBAG spectrum. For example: Bruce Wayne? Totally asexual and aromantic, and no amount of stories where he kisses a woman will actually convince me that he's not (mostly because I think they're boring- Batman being capable of romance doesn't factor in to my "Platonic form" of the character).
    I get the tendency, and I certainly do it myself, but I don't really get aromantic/asexual Bruce or, for that matter, the Joker. It's a popular enough deduction, it just doesn't jibe well with any stories I can think of.

    What I actually have very little tolerance (and no forgiveness) for, is the Bruce is just pretend dating and doesn't mean any of it trope. Because it's just a douche move. "Oh, they're just those-kind-of-girls and don't care as long as they get a date with" is such.... Aaaaah! No.

    Does anyone remember who did the story where some of his pretend-dates have just pinned him as gay and needing constant beards?
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

  15. #60
    Incredible Member Adekis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    930

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    I get the tendency, and I certainly do it myself, but I don't really get aromantic/asexual Bruce or, for that matter, the Joker. It's a popular enough deduction, it just doesn't jibe well with any stories I can think of.
    In Bruce's case, it's just that I am never less interested in him than when he's pining over a girl, and never more interested in him than when he loudly announces, while punching henchmen, his exclusive devotion to LADY JUSTICE! As for the Joker, I don't actually think he's asexual. I think he's uninterested in sex because for him, murder fulfills that need. Sex is just something he does occasionally because he's bored or because it'll make Harley happy or whatever. (And speaking of Harley, she should shoot the Joker in the face and spend the rest of her life with Ivy. Nobody deserves to kill him as much as her.)

    What I actually have very little tolerance (and no forgiveness) for, is the Bruce is just pretend dating and doesn't mean any of it trope. Because it's just a douche move. "Oh, they're just those-kind-of-girls and don't care as long as they get a date with" is such.... Aaaaah! No.
    Yeah, I hate that too. I prefer for him to just be constantly not-dating anyone- which would still make him "Gotham's most eligible" or whatever, yes?

    Does anyone remember who did the story where some of his pretend-dates have just pinned him as gay and needing constant beards?
    No, but that actually sounds pretty funny to me. Of course, it makes increasingly less sense these days; if Bruce was gay, I don't think he'd be closeted in today's world, he'd be out like, macking on Oliver Queen.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •