Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Veteran Member

Default Meredith Interview

So theres a new interview with Meredith up at Newsarama:

http://www.newsarama.com/27129-mered...der-woman.html

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    So theres a new interview with Meredith up at Newsarama:

http://www.newsarama.com/27129-mered...der-woman.html
    Nice interview. I particularly liked the part about changing Ares' bloody footprints on the world to tears in Diana.

Thanks for posting the link, Outside.

Is anyone feeling this WW run is becoming a over complicated mess

Actually I've found the concepts to be pretty interesting. Its just the execution of them that's been lacking. (Except the Donna Troy murdering thing. That was just a bad idea).
    They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son. - Jor-El.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Actually I've found the concepts to be pretty interesting. Its just the execution of them that's been lacking. (Except the Donna Troy murdering thing. That was just a bad idea).
    Exactly. It's not like I think the foundation that Finch and Finch have built their run on is a total mess. It's once they fill the details in that the whole thing starts to fall apart.

Veteran Member

I kinda get the impression Meredith is struggling with coming up with original ideas of her own. I mean it's great she finds inspiration in previous writers work, and I think she could have done a whole lot worse than Azzarello as a point of inspiration... but it kinda seems like she can only build on ideas Azzarello came up with:

-Ares leaves bloody footprints=Diana cries tears of blood (I might add that crying regularly really isn't an trait I wanted to see in Diana, it's fine occassionally like finding Hippolyta being 'clayed', but not just at any given chance)
    -Gods are killable=comes up with a reason, and undoes it.
    -Note everything was explained=Generally seems to make Zeus/Zeke the one behind it all.

So who do we think this other 'old-timer' is going to be? Looking at what appears to be a cover; Veronica Cale?

Based on this cover, I'm thinking Baroness Paula Von Gunther or maybe Fausta? Meredith did say she watched the 70s TV show in which both Paula and Fausta appeared.
    Currently Reading: Aquaman, Batgirl & The Birds of Prey, Blue Beetle, DC Bombshells, Earth 2 Society, Green Arrow. Hal Jordan & The Green Lantern Corps, Justice League, Titans, The Legend of Wonder Woman, Wonder Woman, & Wonder Woman '77.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by blaster86 View Post
    Is anyone feeling this WW run is becoming a over complicated mess
    totally, seems like she is following the lobdell handbook...

I kinda get the impression Meredith is struggling with coming up with original ideas of her own. I mean it's great she finds inspiration in previous writers work, and I think she could have done a whole lot worse than Azzarello as a point of inspiration... but it kinda seems like she can only build on ideas Azzarello came up with:

-Ares leaves bloody footprints=Diana cries tears of blood (I might add that crying regularly really isn't an trait I wanted to see in Diana, it's fine occassionally like finding Hippolyta being 'clayed', but not just at any given chance)
    -Gods are killable=comes up with a reason, and undoes it.
    -Note everything was explained=Generally seems to make Zeus/Zeke the one behind it all.

So who do we think this other 'old-timer' is going to be? Looking at what appears to be a cover; Veronica Cale?
    almost like a big fanfic...she probably wasn't too familiar with wonder woman story and uses azzarello run like a bible
    Last edited by Tayswift; 12-11-2015 at 06:47 AM.

Veteran Member

I'm glad she says that even though Ares is back, Diana is still god of war; I think her way of fulfilling that role still needs a lot of exploration. It's interesting that Ares is going to want that role back; he seemed so eager to give it up.

The implication that she's been looking at Zeke through rose-colored glasses is a little ominous. I'd rather see Zeke have a real chance and being a different person rather than haivng him just be a sinister manipulator disguised as a baby, which is where I'm afraid this might be going. But if it does go there, I hope that at least we can get Zeke deposed.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tayswift View Post
    totally, seems like she is following the lobdell handbook...

almost like a big fanfic...she probably wasn't too familiar with wonder woman story and uses azzarello run like a bible
    That first bit is really worrying. But unfortunately it seems like they write in a similar manner, as in; they start somewhere and just goes on without any specific goal to achieve.

I am pretty sure that outside of some memories of the Carter show, Meredith really doesn't have any particularly deep knowledge of Wonder Woman or her world... and doesn't seem to care all that much. Which makes me wonder how much of what the book is now is David's writing and how much is hers?

BANNED

That first bit is really worrying. But unfortunately it seems like they write in a similar manner, as in; they start somewhere and just goes on without any specific goal to achieve.

I am pretty sure that outside of some memories of the Carter show, Meredith really doesn't have any particularly deep knowledge of Wonder Woman or her world... and doesn't seem to care all that much. Which makes me wonder how much of what the book is now is David's writing and how much is hers?
    both seems directionless, making up as they go, and many times leaving plot holes in the way;

Exactly, I think she rely too much on him, specially that she is new on writing and he already wrote and co-wrote comics before and know better the structure of a comic. she asking him to choose any villain that she didn't cared about it, was really awful. Maybe we could get better stories if David was a good writer

Nrama: I've been talking to a lot of people who are doing DC books about to reach #50, and being a particularly game-changing issue. Is that true of Wonder Woman as well?

Finch: It's the anniversary issue, so it is a very important issue. And we've got extra pages. It's a double-sized issue. So we're going to do something along the lines of the Annual, where we're going to have a little back-story at the end. I think people really enjoyed that when we did that in the Annual. And we have big plans for issue #50.
    so it seems like they won't be out on #50. reality check very few liked the annual...
    I really don't know why they will stay and why DC keep promotinh knowing sales won't rise (except for variant covers)

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post

Based on this cover, I'm thinking Baroness Paula Von Gunther or maybe Fausta? Meredith did say she watched the 70s TV show in which both Paula and Fausta appeared.
    Does this cover mean she is back to resembling Wonder Woman again? Is there a safe place to rest my eyes now?
    Are you sure that "by the grace of God" you survived? Maybe God was trying to get you, and missed.
    Twitter @RealWonderman

Here's the thing I don't get (and again, I remind you that I am old and my memory sucks )

I thought the entire point of killing a god was that only someone of the blood of Olympus could do it? Just as Zeus and his siblings killed/imprisoned the titans, that only someone with the blood of an Olympian god could kills another. Apollo is killed by the First Born, Ares is killed by Diana, etc.

I don't understand why that required additional and complicated explanation regarding the Fates and such. Am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    It reminds me of Barbara Minerva, but since the Cheetah story is a one-shot, I doubt it's her. It could be a set up for Doctor Cyber, with all the tubes and such.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    Here's the thing I don't get (and again, I remind you that I am old and my memory sucks )

I thought the entire point of killing a god was that only someone of the blood of Olympus could do it? Just as Zeus and his siblings killed/imprisoned the titans, that only someone with the blood of an Olympian god could kills another. Apollo is killed by the First Born, Ares is killed by Diana, etc.

I don't understand why that required additional and complicated explanation regarding the Fates and such. Am I missing something?
    I'm not sure--I know that Ares or Apollo says in issue 4 that Zeus could have been killed only by someone of his own blood, but I don't know if it's 100% certain that this applies to all the gods and isn't just an immunity of the king.

But I agree that gods dying didn't need an elaborate new explanation. There's alread an answer to Finch's question of what makes them gods if they can die: they do not die in the same way mortals do. Azz's issues 7 and 8, along with a few other scenes here and there, at least strongly imply (and probably more than imply) a difference between humans' deaths and gods' deaths. Mortals get to really lose themselves and stop being who they were, but gods don't; they just get banished to Hades and become shadows of their former selves (but recognizable and self-aware shadows) for eternity. That seems to be what has happened to Persephone after she killed herself to try to escape her "husband." connection to her, was needed.

Also, a couple of times now in interviews, Finch has seemed to assume that Azzarello invented (for Wonder Woman comics, at least) the idea that gods can be killed. But didn't Simone have Diana kill Ares (for a little while, at least)? Haven't other gods "died" in previous runs? Certainly, Eric Luke and other others have used the idea that Kronus and his generation were banished to Tartarus, which I think basically amounts to death for the gods. And, as I know other posters have pointed out, if the gods hadn't been able to be killed before (at lest by other gods, as you say), it would be inexplicable that there's a "you kill them, you become them" rule.
    Last edited by Silvanus; 12-11-2015 at 08:21 AM.