Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 270
  1. #46

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RobertMacQuarrie1 View Post
    I guess I kind of like the star crossed lovers aspect of the relationship. We kind of got some of this during the early part of JMS' run, so that's probably why I like the idea of it so much.
    The way JMS played about with that aspect was one of the highlights of his whole run. He made Peter and MJ work harder than ever to come to an even greater understanding of their relationship and had to face some pretty painful issues in regards to mild paranoia and self-confidence, they experianced new hurdles and realized just how much they cared for one another as they leapt over them. The resolution to the seperation is just about the peak of his entire run (I still think he should have left with Romita Jr following Book of Ezekiel). It's a shame the last seven years have eroded all the hard work Peter and MJ put into sustaining that relationship, but then, it's easy to blame all of that negative stuff on chaos magic and Mephisto's influence (at least in my headcanon anyway)


    No matter how much good he does JJJ will always hate Spider-man.
    You might want to read the last few days worth of the daily strip. Spidey and Jameson have buried the hatchet
    Last edited by Cameron Samurai; 05-07-2014 at 10:19 AM.

  2. #47
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,438

    Default

    Also, Ultimate JJJ came to respect Spider-Man as well, even like him.

  3. #48

  4. #49
    Senior Member John Venus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    575

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Samurai View Post
    You might want to read the last few days worth of the daily strip. Spidey and Jameson have buried the hatchet
    Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    Also, Ultimate JJJ came to respect Spider-Man as well, even like him.
    I think his point still stands. Sure JJJ may grow even moreso in alternate continuities like the newspaper strips and Ultimate Universe but in the main continuity he is always going to circle back to being the jerk who hates Spider-man. He may get more layers to his personality and he may grow but he will always come back to that popular characterization. The next time there is a Spider-man movie or cartoon, he is going to be that guy who hates Spider-man and tries to slander him with his newspaper. Even the main continuity and AU's if they run long enough will always come back to it.


  5. #50
    BANNED
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    670

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Darkspellmaster View Post
    I'm a little worried about ASM 3 just because if they bring her in will we have a case of people slut shaming her because Gwen died and Peter's moving on with someone else.
    Unfortunately, I've seen that happening quite a bit, even before the ASM films were announced.

  6. #51
    BANNED
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    670

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Samurai View Post
    The way JMS played about with that aspect was one of the highlights of his whole run. He made Peter and MJ work harder than ever to come to an even greater understanding of their relationship and had to face some pretty painful issues in regards to mild paranoia and self-confidence, they experianced new hurdles and realized just how much they cared for one another as they leapt over them. The resolution to the seperation is just about the peak of his entire run (I still think he should have left with Romita Jr following Book of Ezekiel). It's a shame the last seven years have eroded all the hard work Peter and MJ put into sustaining that relationship, but then, it's easy to blame all of that negative stuff on chaos magic and Mephisto's influence (at least in my headcanon anyway)
    But on the positive side, the fact that such great lengths have to be taken to separate the two, to the point where people are knowledgeable of the contrivances used to keep the couple apart shows just how pervasive and long lasting the relationship is.

  7. #52

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RobertMacQuarrie1 View Post
    Didn't she already have a reality TV type of show prior to her buying the bar?

    Personally speaking, and I know that this is probably controversial, but I actually like MJ as a superstar on a certain level of fame. I know it might not work well in a story context, but I like the idea of MJ being this superfamous superstar, who is still hopelessly in love with Peter. She'd have everything anyone would ever want, but the only thing she truly desires is Peter. Meanwhile, I like the idea of Peter being in love with her, but feeling that he's not good enough for her.

    I guess I kind of like the star crossed lovers aspect of the relationship. We kind of got some of this during the early part of JMS' run, so that's probably why I like the idea of it so much.

    Options:
    She could be the host of a "Top Model" or "Top Fashion Designer" show
    She could be the judge on a talent competition (just like Heidi Klum!)

  8. #53
    BANNED
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    670

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    Options:
    She could be the host of a "Top Model" or "Top Fashion Designer" show
    She could be the judge on a talent competition (just like Heidi Klum!)
    I personally think she's just OK with being an actress.

    With comics being the way they are now, with less and less being accomplished in a single issue and less time being spent focusing on side plots and characters, I don't think that MJ needs to be reimagined in order to fit the narrative. I feel she works well as an actress, as that is something that she stated in her first appearance. Since Peter is the focus of the story, while I like MJ and she is my favorite love interest for Spidey (and they are perhaps my favorite couple in all of narrative fiction), I don't think she needs to be part of a story that follows an arc of her trying to find work or a different job or type of work.

  9. #54
    Changing the Future Kevinroc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    California
    Posts
    471

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RobertMacQuarrie1 View Post
    I personally think she's just OK with being an actress.

    With comics being the way they are now, with less and less being accomplished in a single issue and less time being spent focusing on side plots and characters, I don't think that MJ needs to be reimagined in order to fit the narrative. I feel she works well as an actress, as that is something that she stated in her first appearance. Since Peter is the focus of the story, while I like MJ and she is my favorite love interest for Spidey (and they are perhaps my favorite couple in all of narrative fiction), I don't think she needs to be part of a story that follows an arc of her trying to find work or a different job or type of work.
    Plus the idea of an actress and a photographer (Peter's classic profession) does actually make sense within the context of a narrative.

    This is something that Sam Raimi understood better than most actual Spider-Man comic writers.

  10. #55
    BANNED
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    670

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Plus the idea of an actress and a photographer (Peter's classic profession) does actually make sense within the context of a narrative.

    This is something that Sam Raimi understood better than most actual Spider-Man comic writers.
    Personally, I think the fact that they were introduced because their respective Aunts knew each other is a pretty good justification for why they know each other.

    Normally they wouldn't interact since they don't travel in the same social circles. But their relatives knew each other, and decided to hook them up.

    It's simple, realistic and down to earth. It's how a lot of people meet and start relationships. It's why I don't find MJ being a supermodel or an actress or a big name star all that unrealistic or that detrimental to Peter's status as an everyman. Because the very start of their relationship, before either party went onto further careers or success, was a very simple pairing initiated by their aunts.

  11. #56
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    658

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RobertMacQuarrie1 View Post
    It's simple, realistic and down to earth. It's how a lot of people meet and start relationships. It's why I don't find MJ being a supermodel or an actress or a big name star all that unrealistic or that detrimental to Peter's status as an everyman. Because the very start of their relationship, before either party went onto further careers or success, was a very simple pairing initiated by their aunts.
    I just don't like the idea when MJ is super successful and Peter isn't. Just like when Harry runs Oscorp and Peter needs a job or strapped for cash. It might show a good difference between the two characters and their lives, but it also makes it really easy for the writer to remove those characters. I like MJ being an actress, but when she's successful enough that she can constantly leave New York cause of a job really doesn't affect Peter at all. Its convenient so the writer doesn't have to focus on MJ, but it's also really lazy.

  12. #57
    BANNED
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    670

    Default

    Another thing I like about MJ is the thing people seem to use to describe her the most- she's not perfect. She's not a character that has no flaws, always makes the right decision and never makes any mistakes. She gets angry, she gets upset, she makes the wrong decisions, and she isn't always right. But that's OK. Often creators forget that when creating a character, you not only have to give them qualities that one admires, but also qualities that you dislike. That's how you develop a well rounded character. MJ may be physically attractive, but she's also a bundle of nerves and insecurities, with a massive inferiority complex.

  13. #58

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RobertMacQuarrie1 View Post
    I personally think she's just OK with being an actress.
    Something backed up in the daily strips back in 2010 when she took photos of Peter battling Sabretooth, Peter wanted her to share the credit on the photo but she turned it down because she felt her acting stint was enough

  14. #59
    Post Editing OCD Confuzzled's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Swingin' Above Ya
    Posts
    300

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Plus the idea of an actress and a photographer (Peter's classic profession) does actually make sense within the context of a narrative.

    This is something that Sam Raimi understood better than most actual Spider-Man comic writers.
    Even the writers of the 90's Spider-Man animated show, where she says a line that I'm obsessed with now, "I finally understood that Physics and Drama are not that different from each other. They are both just trying to make sense of life", while explaining how she managed to do well in a college physics test even though Peter was too busy to help her. The 90's show was the first time I came across the theme of MJ being in a live play and Peter not being able to attend it despite promising to do so. And then the motif of the empty seat. Wouldn't be surprised if Raimi was inspired for SM2 by the show.

    I think that's why Peter and MJ's compatibility is so fascinating even when you don't take their respective personalities into consideration: it's the perfect marriage (no pun intended) of science and the arts, two different interpretations of life, as Animated MJ aptly described them.

  15. #60
    Post Editing OCD Confuzzled's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Swingin' Above Ya
    Posts
    300

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RobertMacQuarrie1 View Post
    Personally, I think the fact that they were introduced because their respective Aunts knew each other is a pretty good justification for why they know each other.

    Normally they wouldn't interact since they don't travel in the same social circles. But their relatives knew each other, and decided to hook them up.

    It's simple, realistic and down to earth. It's how a lot of people meet and start relationships. It's why I don't find MJ being a supermodel or an actress or a big name star all that unrealistic or that detrimental to Peter's status as an everyman. Because the very start of their relationship, before either party went onto further careers or success, was a very simple pairing initiated by their aunts.
    Yes, this whole post. May and Anna knew their nephew and niece inside out and wanted the best for them pretty early on. That's why MJ's coupling with Peter is so resonant in a way the mathes with his other significant girlfriends fail to be. This was Aunt May arranged. What more do you want to prove it's reliability and validity?

    In a way, that fact makes the destruction of the relationship and marriage to save May's life in OMD much more poignant. There is a great story to be told if May ever finds out about the Mephisto deal and its terms and conditions.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •