Page 43 of 43 FirstFirst ... 333940414243

Why would a fashion model have an iconic outfit?

Seems her style should always evolve with the times. And it's not like she's ever worn a Spider-Man shirt in a book.

Carlie, on the other hand, has a Spider-Man tattoo.
    Last edited by Tuck; 04-28-2015 at 08:55 AM.

I have to agree about the Campbell picture. People go with that enough times that people just associate Mary Jane as an accessory for Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Roxas View Post
    I have to agree about the Campbell picture. People go with that enough times that people just associate Mary Jane as an accessory for Peter.
    I assume that was always the case in some fashion.

Newbie Member

I always thought her "iconic" outfit was her first "official" appearance outfit. The black tank top, tan/purple pants, and white boots. She never wore a Spider-man t-shirt in the comic...mainly because that would be really awkward (lookin' at you Carlie... ya' damn freeeak). I think it's just to label her as Spider-man's main "girl". But she doesn't need an iconic outfit, she's got an iconic look. She's got her dimples and red hair. If she's got those two things, it's fairly easy to identify her.

Agreed. The dimples and the red hair (usually with a 60's style fringe) is enough to differentiate MJ just as the headband and blonde hair is enough to differentiate Gwen. She's a civilian so there's not much more you could do in terms of design. Just look at Lois Lane. Without a doubt the most iconic female supporting character/love interest in comics and as far as design goes she's just a brunette in some variation of a business suit.

Hopefully it will be less mature and dark than before.

Lively and Optimistic lone_wolf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    And it's not like she's ever worn a Spider-Man shirt in a book.
    There was at least one instance where she sported the Spidey shirt and that was when she was at a club where she ran into Glory and her date. Can't remember what issue. But I remember seeing that and saying to myself that no self-respecting model would ever wear the outfit that the artist chose for those few panels.

But then again most comic artists are not fashion mongers so they automatically go with K-Mart Hoochie attire. As an incredibly vain woman it grates on my nerves but nothing I can do about it at the moment LOL.

Carlie, on the other hand, has a Spider-Man tattoo.

More like "had" a tattoo. Apparently it faded away when they were healed during the conclusion of Spider Island and she seemed rather disappointed too. Although I'm pretty sure she's happy about it now LOL.

--Wolfie
    Last edited by lone_wolf; 04-28-2015 at 11:53 AM.
    Visual Development Portfolio
    http://www.wolfies-den.com/?page_id=464
    www.wolfies-den.com

"Animators are actors with pencils"
    --Glen Keane

To me, its that long straight dark red hair and green eyes. Classic redhead look, but in a Spidey comic the look has come to be associated with one character.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    To me, its that long straight dark red hair and green eyes. Classic redhead look, but in a Spidey comic the look has come to be associated with one character.
    True. Though her design has sometimes strayed away from the original Ann Margret facial features that Romita Sr. utilized as a reference. It saddens me lol.

Her 60's Mod hair tresses will always be in though there will be slight variations of it.

--Wolfie
    Last edited by lone_wolf; 04-28-2015 at 12:33 PM. Reason: mispelling
    www.wolfies-den.com

--Glen Keane

Quote Originally Posted by lone_wolf View Post
    True. Though her design has sometimes strayed away from the original Ann Margret facial features that Romita Sr. utilized as a reference. It saddens me lol.

Her 60's Mod hair tresses will always be in though there will be slight variations of it.

--Wolfie
    Which pretty much stuck around until McFarlane. I blame the entire 90s MJ look on him.

Big part of why I'm not a big MacFarlane fan.

Ann Margaret look, thats right! I don't mind the hairstyle being modernized a little, but McFarlane really went too far.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    Which pretty much stuck around until McFarlane. I blame the entire 90s MJ look on him.

Big part of why I'm not a big MacFarlane fan.

Yeah gotta go on record to say I wasn't a big fan of his either and his rendition of MJ was just awful in my opinion. McFarlane seemed to be greatly inspired by shows from the late 80s/early 90s like Dynasty, Colby's, and Dallas which featured leading women with HUGE hair. It was such a prime-time and evening daytime soap hairstyle. Always made me cringe LOL.
    The big hair either leaned TOO New Jersey back then or TOO Texan and surrounding areas during that period.

--Wolfie
    www.wolfies-den.com

--Glen Keane

More eldritch than thou Venomous Mask's Avatar

McFarlane might have taken MJ's look a bit too far, but I loved how she looked during the mid to late nineties, with more subdued wavy hair:

In the darkest hole you'd be well advised not to plan my funeral before the body dies...

I have to agree with the idea that MJ doesn't really need an "iconic costume," since she's a fashion model and a civilian who probably wears a lot of different outfits on a daily basis. Granted, she should look good in what she wears and have good fashion sense, though that's more dependent on the artists than anything else. Keeping her general look consistent is far more important part of the character, of course.

The closest you can get are her wedding dress and her first outfit, both intrinsically linked to iconic moments in her history as well. It's part of the reason Gwen's "The Night Gwen Stacy Died" look is her iconic look.

Heck, The Wasp was one of Marvel's first female Superheroes and a founding Avenger and she's gone through tons of costumes. Which makes perfect sense considering Jan's a fashion designer. The closest she has to iconic ones in my experience are her classic and original look, her Mighty Avengers costume (since she seems to go back to that one a lot), and maybe her Earth's Mightiest Heroes costume.
    Last edited by Frontier; Yesterday at 03:41 PM.