Page 161 of 194 FirstFirst ... 61111151157158159160161162163164165171 ... LastLast
Results 2,401 to 2,415 of 2898
    Astonishing Member

J. Scott Campbell Avengers variant on the way

Heh, Mary Jane has her own logo now .

Astonishing Member

It's definitely not the only logo she's had over the years, but yeah, always good to have branding representation

Over in the newspapers, Peter had to duck out of MJ's interview to check on what was going on between an intruder and some security guards...and sure enough, it's Mole Man...probably stalking Aunt May again. He doesn't seem to recognize Peter, though I can't recall if he met him or not when he tried courting MJ seven years ago

It's likely MJ will be a bit steamed Peter left before her interview, she'd already admitted to him earlier she was more nervous than usual.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Her title has the same curved sans serif typeface as for Amazing Spider-Man, so anyone can instantly see where it's derived from. I would have preferred a different typeface.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 fanatic, Avatar-maker, SHSO player, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    Her title has the same curved sans serif typeface as for Amazing Spider-Man, so anyone can instantly see where it's derived from. I would have preferred a different typeface.
    What's the problem with symmetry with the ASM logo? MJ will always be fundamentally recognized as being a part of the core Spidey branding regardless of what they do to distance her from it in the core comics. Hell she's still his wife in some ongoing continuities.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

She-Hulk's had title fonts that both homage Hulk's own font and also has a cursive "She" that made it different. Here it's all the same font. Plus it being used for an Avengers variant cover doesn't automatically connect MJ to Spidey, so for my personal taste Marvel could have mixed it up a bit.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 fanatic, Avatar-maker, SHSO player, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。

Ultimate Member

She's had one since 2004, when she had her own book (an AU all-ages title):

Incredible Member

As fas as I see, there's only one Variant Cover for MJ's cosplay for revealing, the one of X-Men Blue. How much time they will take to reveal it?

Ultimate Member

That one was probably tricky to design - because she'll probably be wearing one of Jean Grey's costumes, so how do you stop it just looking like Jean? Maybe it needed to be redone, hence why it's not been revealed yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    That one was probably tricky to design - because she'll probably be wearing one of Jean Grey's costumes, so how do you stop it just looking like Jean?
    Give MJ her very distinct Romita facial features and hair?

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Give MJ her very distinct Romita facial features and hair?

Exactly. I think MJ has the most distinct and individual facial features of any comic book redhead
    DC, hurry up and make your own version of Marvel Unlimited!

I think it's a sign of a good artist if they can find ways to differentiate between characters with similar looks, as in having the same hair color and relative age/physicality.

Of course, I also think there are several artists who, if they drew a bevy of Marvel's female redheads in a line-up, you might need the characters' costumes or themed outfits to tell them part. MJ would probably stand out because she might not be wearing a costume...

Which reminds me of that illustration featuring the same image depicting every blond male in comics .

All-New Member

It's actually JSC's official logo now. Having read books with his covers for almost 20 years now, I know he loves drawing MJ more than any other female character.

I think it's a sign of a good artist if they can find ways to differentiate between characters with similar looks, as in having the same hair color and relative age/physicality.

Of course, I also think there are several artists who, if they drew a bevy of Marvel's female redheads in a line-up, you might need the characters' costumes or themed outfits to tell them part. MJ would probably stand out because she might not be wearing a costume...

Which reminds me of that illustration featuring the same image depicting every blond male in comics .
    Exactly. I think if you took every major Marvel and DC redhead and drew them in the exact same clothes, Mary Jane would be the only one you could easily point out. Well and Medusa cause of the hair and possibly Babs if she's wearing glasses
    DC, hurry up and make your own version of Marvel Unlimited!

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Well, the idea of Spider-Man and Mary Jane being an item, if not the only viable long-term scenario, is still arguably a major piece of the mythos as a whole. There's also the factor that Marvel may be willing to make something they think will sell/have an audience even if they don't believed in it themselves.

Also, there has been the idea pitched around that Marvel doesn't have a problem with the Spider-Man/Mary Jane relationship in and of itself -- just as long as it's not in the 616 comics. How good an idea that is (given that it makes the core comics pretty incongruent with the branding and hasn't done their PR any favors) is debatable, but the company wanting to utilize different aspects of the franchise in different projects with no overlap is one way to do things.

Frankly, I find interesting to note that, despite all the rebranding and new directions, Mary Jane still remains popular enough as the love interest character for a project like this to happen. I mean, Gwen Stacy had a huge popularity streak after the ASM movies, but it seems to have settled down a bit since (and as you pointed out, her covers did nothing with the idea of her being a former Spider-Man girlfriend).

I'm a fan of a 'good' relationship and Newspapers Earth MJ and Peter for me has the most enjoyable while 616 MJ and Peter had it's ups and downs but many writers in the past did a fine job on them. The longevity, association, and institutionalization, and overall handling of those two characters in 616 and different universes as a pairing for various medias and marketing such as past 616 comics, newspaper, movies, TV shows, and other things has made such a strong lasting set mental image for people who are use to seeing the relationship.
    Thus many artists who worked on these covers probably was born and grew up reading and knowing only these two as their set head image of MJ being the love interest to Peter/Spider-man in their heads even if it can't be or hard to pull off for different writers in the 616 currently.

This part of the quote worries me for 616 MJ's character even after 50 years in comics
    "Mary Jane still remains popular enough as the love interest character"
    Nothing against 'love interest' characters or those that simply start as such but I really wished after 50+ years 616 MJ has been around that you wrote
    "Mary Jane still remains popular enough as [S]the love interest[/S] a character"

I love these Gwens and MJs variant covers The fun and imagination/creativity is what I enjoy seeing in variants and I love Gwen and Mj so I had already pre bought all 22 covers and hope each one will be enjoyable and show my support for both characters and fun (and potentially more) ideas.
    Once all 22 has been shown for the different MJs I might post what is my top favorites and least as well from both themes.

Comparing the Gwen and MJ covers different multiverse made Gwens nowadays has one psychological advantage for being used as an individual character in herself outside of Peter and able to be a character without reliance of being a 'Love interest' only. Earth-65 Gwen Stacy might of had a past with her Peter and serves as a hero motivation for her but 65 Gwen must survive and move foward in the present and future relying on great storytelling and herself and her own cast interactions without a 'Peter' or even a love interest for a time being standing on her own two feet within her own world and characters. Relencies of going outside the norm and safe zones by the writers and needing quality storytelling and character interactions and developments to make all this possible. Tough but if pulled off in the long term successfully it can be very enriching and open further potentials.
    I do wished the artists during the Gwen Variant covers showed for a few covers these different Gwens character interactions and personality with them with different characters in what these artist making these AU Gwens might feel per Gwen character they drew up. That could of been fun. One thing about ALL multiverse characters that I have a 'anything goes' belief and no such thing as a set standard/relationship including for who is whom's love interest per Earth we see and made by writers. Currently made Gwen's have that freedom moreso then MJ due to what people might be use to or grew up and read 616 comics long after 616 Gwen died (though that didn't stop some people from hating a possible 1610/616 Miles and 65 Gwen as potential love interests and some people online demanded that 65 Gwen only dated 616 Peter even though while current 1610 Miles and 65 Gwen have only a two year age difference which some people blew out of proportion while forgetting that 616 Peter is currently in his thirties and has a 10+ years difference from 65 Gwen).

Meanwhile I very much enjoy seeing MJ and Peter in some covers. The Captain Marvel, I am Groot which I find so adorable and amusing, and Wolverine which was also fun and a pleasure to see (plus served as great balance/playoff of between this MJ version as a happy city outgoing Wolverine & Gwen version as a aggressive Nature loner Wolverine thus i can see a fun partnership/friendship/conflict between these two in my head).
    But I also wish like some alternate Gwens covers she too had other characters she could play off of in these variants for the fun and ideas (what I can recall on X-Men Gold had that version MJ next to a Storm while being a composite MJ Storm herself). I want MJ from the 616 or ANY universe made versions to be able to be used well and shown to play off of other characters and be a strong independent character not needing a Peter/Spider-man to help give value or usefulness plus branch out and show versatility among others away from Peter during this time.
    That was something I was hoping the Iron Man series would help her to do and be able to grow as a versatile character being able to play off and just be amoung other characters when I first heard 616 MJ was going to be apart of that series and hoped she would be used well. However thus far I don't feel that has happened so far in the series and I'm disappointed in that.
    Looking over the covers it also seems like there was a lack of alternate supervillain MJs outside of the Venom one (the Gwens theme had about 2-3 I think such as MODOK, Venom, Magneto (he's been linked to both hero and villain) which for the sake of variety fun I hoped she would had 1/5 covers be villains.
    Last edited by AngelJD; 05-21-2017 at 02:16 PM.