Page 214 of 214 FirstFirst ... 114164204210211212213214
Results 3,196 to 3,202 of 3202
    Astonishing Member

CBR continues their series of MJ articles

http://www.cbr.com/spider-man-mary-jane-phase-out/

Guys, who watches Riverdale here? The Season 2 premier was last night and I'm pretty sure the show re-enacted or was heavily inspired for a particular scene with Veronica and Archie with the ASM#122 epilogue with MJ and Peter, the one where a grieving Peter snaps at a supportive MJ and asks her to leave his apartment but she heads towards the door but then decides to stay with and for her friend. I'm pretty sure because Riverdale creator is Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa, who wrote one of my fave MJ centric issues in Sensational Spider-Man Vol. 2

In fact, now that I think of it, the show's take on Veronica is very similar to Gerry Conway's development of Mary Jane. A flighty girl who would previously run away from her problems resolving to be there for her friends and be there as a pillar of strength for more "heroic" characters like Archie/Peter, even if she doesn't fully know how to control the situation. Always knew there was a reason I really liked Riverdale's Veronica and her dynamics with Archie and Betty (who has some parallels to Gwen while her relationship with Jughead makes me think of an interesting "What If?" situation where Gwen hooked up with Harry if she had broken up with Peter and survived).

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Guys, who watches Riverdale here? The Season 2 premier was last night and I'm pretty sure the show re-enacted or was heavily inspired for a particular scene with Veronica and Archie with the ASM#122 epilogue with MJ and Peter, the one where a grieving Peter snaps at a supportive MJ and asks her to leave his apartment but she heads towards the door but then decides to stay with and for her friend. I'm pretty sure because Riverdale creator is Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa, who wrote one of my fave MJ centric issues in Sensational Spider-Man Vol. 2

In fact, now that I think of it, the show's take on Veronica is very similar to Gerry Conway's development of Mary Jane. A flighty girl who would previously run away from her problems resolving to be there for her friends and be there as a pillar of strength for more "heroic" characters like Archie/Peter, even if she doesn't fully know how to control the situation. Always knew there was a reason I really liked Riverdale's Veronica and her dynamics with Archie and Betty (who has some parallels to Gwen while her relationship with Jughead makes me think of an interesting "What If?" situation where Gwen hooked up with Harry if she had broken up with Peter and survived).
    That is pretty cool .

(Now if only we could get that kind of writing and characterization in Spider-Man again).

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

You watch Riverdale, too? Awesome. Very awesome. And didn't Gwen and Harry use to date in high school before either of them ever met Peter in the original comics?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    That is pretty cool .

(Now if only we could get that kind of writing and characterization in Spider-Man again).
    If only, yeah.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    You watch Riverdale, too? Awesome. Very awesome. And didn't Gwen and Harry use to date in high school before either of them ever met Peter in the original comics?
    Haha, I do. And it's so good that I don't even consider it as "guilty pleasure". It's really fun and smart. Not surprising as Aguirre-Sacasa has been one of the best things to happen to Archie. Last night I came across an interview he did for the second season where he talks about taking Archie through the "grieving process" of superhero development after losing a loved one, so now I'm even more sure that the MJ/Peter epilogue from Death of Gwen Stacy inspired that Veronica/Archie scene.

I think Gwen and Harry had briefly dated as they were considered "appropriate" for each other due to the high social statuses of both of her fathers. I'm not sure whether I'm remembering from canon or fan theories though.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    That is pretty cool .

Don't you wish? I've always been hoping to see the Epilogue scene adapted in live action. That Riverdale version with Veronica (a character who was one of the earlier inspirations for MJ's characterization interestingly) will probably be the closest I will ever get.

Don't you wish? I've always been hoping to see the Epilogue scene adapted in live action. That Riverdale version with Veronica (a character who was one of the earlier inspirations for MJ's characterization interestingly) will probably be the closest I will ever get.
    Yeah, somehow I don't expect we'll see MCU Peter go through something so emotionally breaking that he would need that kind of comfort.

Astonishing Member

https://www.facebook.com/SpiderManMa...91328997951635

Current status: 10,003 likes and 9,997 follows