Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 162223242526

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    How about Betty Brant as a potential love interest for Peter Parker?
    What an odd thing to say in the MJ Appreciation thread.

Newbie Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    What makes you think that?
    Just a hunch. ASM3 probably would've included MJ. However, with all of the talk of a reboot within Sony, I just don't see ASM3 happening.

Both Marvel and Sony have allegedly talked about using far less romance in future Spider-Man films. MJ is largely seen as "the love interest" so chances are her role will be minimal in future films (if she's present at all).

Marvel has especially been pushing for a younger single Spider-man. Just look at MJ's role in the Ultimate show. Yes, I know that film and animation are completely seperate divisions, but it still fits their current agenda. I can't see them promoting a character and a relationship that they've been trying to move away from (with the exception of Renew Your Vows, but of course, how that plays out remains to be seen).

My gut tells me that they'll approach MJ with the same mentality of "her story has already been told".

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    That's a pretty healthy way to look at it. After the last few years, I really am ready for MJ to get her time under the spotlight again. (But it unfortunately seems we'll have to wait a bit longer on that front.)
    Oh, she'll be back in the spotlight. It might not happen as soon we'd like, but it'll most definitely happen.

Lively and Optimistic lone_wolf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    How about Betty Brant as a potential love interest for Peter Parker?
    Why on earth would you bring this up in an MJ Appreciation Thread?

--Wolfie
    Visual Development Portfolio
    http://www.wolfies-den.com/?page_id=464
    www.wolfies-den.com

"Animators are actors with pencils"
    --Glen Keane

Lively and Optimistic lone_wolf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Tiger View Post
    Hi everyone! I’m a longtime lurker who finally decided to join. My first introduction into Spider-man lore and Mary Jane was the 90’s animated show and I’ve really dug her ever since. I didn’t start reading the comics until around 2003 or so when JMS was on the books. She and the marriage were fantastic during his run. After digging further into Spider-man’s history (and reading TONS of stories from Stan- Ditko SM to Romita, Conway, Stern, Dematteis, Michelinie, etc) I realized what a complex history she had and how much she had developed over the course of the series, and I appreciated her even more for it. The ways in which MJ learns to overcome her personal struggles, learns the importance of responsibility, and grows as a character all fits so well into the Spider-Man mythology and complements Peter’s story very nicely.

OMD was a real tragedy, not only regressing the title’s principal characters to shadows of their former selves, but also tarnishing the mythology’s rich history. I understand that the marriage wasn’t everyone’s cup of tea, but surely there could have been a better way to end it.

I want to be optimistic about Renew Your Vows, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it ends up being a thinly-veiled criticism of MJ and the marriage (which basically most of the Peter/MJ stuff in the main title has been since OMD).

Mid 60’s Ann-Margret looks especially MJ-like.

Heck, just change that first line in the video below from “Hey, Swinger” to “Hey, Tiger” and you’ve basically got a live action 60’s MJ.

Attachment 16464Attachment 16465

Attachment 16463

Always loved the fact that Romita Sr. based it on one of my favorite cinematic versions of Ann Margaret. It's where MJ gets her sass! So glad JRSr took on the reigns at the time because as much as I love Ditko, I think his rendition of MJ wouldn't have struck such a chord.

Always loved that early Beatnik-Go Goish look on Watson.

--Wolfie
    Visual Development Portfolio
    http://www.wolfies-den.com/?page_id=464
    www.wolfies-den.com

"Animators are actors with pencils"
    --Glen Keane

Quote Originally Posted by lone_wolf View Post
    Why on earth would you bring this up in an MJ Appreciation Thread?

--Wolfie
    Because it's Darth Fury. 99% of his posts are a list of potential love interests for Spider-Man.

I'd love to see the characters coexist, but as far as the next reboot goes, they probably won't be using Gwen again.
    Yah maybe. While the characters did coexist in the comics, they never really competed directly for Peter. MJ was with Harry and Gwen was with Peter. A love triangle is really an artificial construct that was hinted at but not explored other than a few catty remarks here and there. As much as I have disdain for the recent ASM movies, I did appreciate that they stuck with Gwen as the sole love interest and didn't try to do the triangle thing. Works better, and is more consistent with the lore.

Just a hunch. ASM3 probably would've included MJ. However, with all of the talk of a reboot within Sony, I just don't see ASM3 happening.

Both Marvel and Sony have allegedly talked about using far less romance in future Spider-Man films. MJ is largely seen as "the love interest" so chances are her role will be minimal in future films (if she's present at all).

Marvel has especially been pushing for a younger single Spider-man. Just look at MJ's role in the Ultimate show. Yes, I know that film and animation are completely seperate divisions, but it still fits their current agenda. I can't see them promoting a character and a relationship that they've been trying to move away from (with the exception of Renew Your Vows, but of course, how that plays out remains to be seen).

My gut tells me that they'll approach MJ with the same mentality of "her story has already been told".
    I guess I'm not as pessimistic about MJ possibly not appearing in whatever the next Spider-Man movie is, whether it's ASM 3 or not. MJ has been around for a long time and has fulfilled a lot of roles in a lot of different stories. So even if they tone down on romance, I still think she can appear within the narrative and it'd be just fine.

There were people at Sony who suggested Kraven's Last Hunt as a potential story for adaptation, and they name dropped MJ quite heavily.

http://screenrant.com/sony-hacker-le...ens-last-hunt/

I might suggest looking at what is widely thought to be the most beloved Spider-Man storyline of all time – “Kraven’s Last Hunt” – which ran across ‘Amazing Spider-Man’ #293-294, ‘Spectacular Spider-Man’ #131-132, and ‘Web of Spider-Man’ #31-32. (In fact, Comic Book Resources polled their readers in 2012, and this storyline was voted as the single greatest Spider-Man storyline of all time.)

In it, Kraven the Hunter tracks down Spider-Man, shoots him repeatedly, and leaves him for dead, buried underground. He then dons a Spider-Man costume and savagely starts attacking criminals.

What makes this story resonate with fans is that it proves it takes more than just the costume to become “Spider-Man.” No matter what he’s wearing, or what predicament he’s facing, Peter Parker is sensitive, passionate, and connected to those he’s interacting with in a very powerful way. It’s not Peter’s powers that make him special – Kraven, and every other superhuman in the Marvel Universe, all have powers. Peter is special because of his values, because of what drives him, because of the lessons he’s learned from Uncle Ben’s death, and because of his love for Mary Jane. I’ve pasted a few pivotal pages from this book so you can see just how intense this storyline is.

We also get to see how Mary Jane deals with Peter’s disappearance, and how she would react if Peter ever died in action.
    Now, what happens if Marvel gets their hands on the Spider-Man film rights? An interesting question. They still invoke her quite frequently, and the movies do put a focus on the older characters and relationships. And after the ASM films, I doubt that we'll see Gwen again anytime soon in a film. (Outside of a cameo if that animated film from the directors of The Lego Movie happens.) Her story has been told. (As has Richard Parker's, thankfully. I hate that Richard Parker stuff.)

Oh, she'll be back in the spotlight. It might not happen as soon we'd like, but it'll most definitely happen.
    Marvel certainly got some attention with "Renew Your Vows" even if I don't think much of it beyond an AU story.

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post
    Because it's Darth Fury. 99% of his posts are a list of potential love interests for Spider-Man.
    Specifically, anyone except Mary Jane, all in some attempt to bemoan the "wasted potential" that comes from writers daring to not make Peter's sex life the center of the multiverse.