Super Moderator

Default CBR SUNDAY CONVERSATION: Mark Waid on the Business of Comics

Writer and comic shop owner Mark Waid muses on superheroes & subscribers and his increasing appreciation for every angle of the comics business.

Full article here.

I tried Pulled-subscriptions..its something about commitment that makes it a disaster. I am more loyal keeping up with a comic Wednesday to Wednesday.

Hmm I remember when new comic day was Friday. And some very smart comic store owners would get them from UPS centers and put the books out on weds. and clean up. Now every store does Weds. If a store owner could get the books on Monday they would get a jump on the competition.

But anyway..I like these Sunday Conversations. Keep em coming.
    “Humans see what they want to see.”
    My webcomic Updated Weekly
    Twitter
    Blog

If you like that opening sequence, you should check out Ray Fawke's "One Soul" published by Oni back in 2011. The whole GN is done that way. It's amazing.

Wow...excellent interview! Mark Waid is one of (if not my favorite) comic book writer. I love to discover that he was sort of Brainiac with his early comics, "bottling" and cataloging all of those stories.

I will not cease to make the following claims until they happen or I cease:

*Mark Waid should be in charge of DC Comics, or, at the very least, the Superman titles

*Mark Waid should be writing Captain America again

*Mark Waid should've been given the reigns to ASM after Superior

*Hobo of Steel would have been A) an actual Superman movie and B) the ultimate Superman movie if it had actually been truly based on Birthright

*Birthright was/is better than "Secret Origin" and Morrison's New 52 origin combined, even though I love the work of both Morrison and Johns

*Mark Waid (along with Grant Morrison, Bruce Timm, and Paul Dini) should be the "braintrust" of DC cinematic ventures

*Mark Waid should be cloned/given super-speed/Kryptonian powers so he can do all the things I mention here (and more, of course)

man i got into comics heavily around 1998, but what I cataloged like Mark in my HS years (1990-94) was the old TSR magazines for Dungeons and Dragons, Dungeon and Dragon.

would write the article title, which game world, whether it was an article on weapons, or world building, etc

I also took all the new spells created for the game in these mags and typed them out into one spellbook. NERD

Mind you, I rarely played the game. I just read this stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Miller View Post
    man i got into comics heavily around 1998, but what I cataloged like Mark in my HS years (1990-94) was the old TSR magazines for Dungeons and Dragons, Dungeon and Dragon.

would write the article title, which game world, whether it was an article on weapons, or world building, etc

I also took all the new spells created for the game in these mags and typed them out into one spellbook. NERD

Mind you, I rarely played the game. I just read this stuff
    You're no more "nerdy" than those kids that do the same thing with baseball cards and player stats. I wish I'd cataloged the stuff I read when I was reading just about everything Marvel and DC put out in the late 80s/early 90s.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Cosmic View Post
    You're no more "nerdy" than those kids that do the same thing with baseball cards and player stats. I wish I'd cataloged the stuff I read when I was reading just about everything Marvel and DC put out in the late 80s/early 90s.
    I used to do that type of cataloging for past seasons of the NFL, way back when I was in elementary school. I would copy each team's schedule and results on one page
    per team, and then do charts for select offensive stats for the league. I remember checking out the yearbooks where I got the info from the school library, and I was just
    fascinated by the stats. It wasn't enough to read them; I had to list them my way. I filled up I don't know how many notebooks with useless stats like that, yet I have no
    idea what I did with any of them. I remember doing them, but nothing after I finished. I tried keeping up with MLB stats for a while too, but I never got into it like I did for
    the NFL.

Waid is one of my favorite writers out there today. I'm going to miss him on Hulk.

Hugely entertaining interview, and I would love to see Mark editing a Superman Family book, and writing Supergirl for it.

Housekeeping-wise, Paul Montgomery's credit is here, but really hard to spot - could CBR tweak things to give him some prominence? Even just putting Paul's name on the first question, rather than CBR News?
    How ironic (choke)