Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default SENYC: Valiant Firsts

Details from Valiant's new launches including "Doctor Mirage" and the return of Priest and Bright's "Quantum & Woody" arrive.

Full article here.

Will check out Bloodshot#24 and Q2, that A&A, MJ cover is funny.
    SPIDERMAN 2099* CAP AMERICA & MIGHTY AVENGERS* UNITY* THE VALIANT* IVAR, TIMEWALKER* JOHN CARTER* STAR TREK/POTA

BANNED

I only buy valiant trades at conventions when they are on sale because I don't support kompanies that are on the verge of bankruptcy!

Quote Originally Posted by Deathlok2011 View Post
    I only buy valiant trades at conventions when they are on sale because I don't support kompanies that are on the verge of bankruptcy!
    Where did you hear that?
    SPIDERMAN 2099* CAP AMERICA & MIGHTY AVENGERS* UNITY* THE VALIANT* IVAR, TIMEWALKER* JOHN CARTER* STAR TREK/POTA

A bit disappointed that Rai series is already going on a short haitus, but I completely understand Clayton Crain is a rather unique artist who needs more time. All I can say is editors, do your jobs...plan accordingly so these abrupt delays don't happen in beginning of the series. I am looking forward to the new Doctor Mirage series.

Yes I like the goat, but he doesn't need his own book. Some characters are just meant to be supporting roles, and that's key aspect of who they are. The goat is nothing without Quantum & Woody involved, so really there's no reason to spin things off.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathlok2011 View Post
    1. You're going to have to prove your claims.

2. If you knew a company was in trouble, and you liked their product, why not buy their stuff new? You know, support them?
    Free your soul and let it fly....

I love what Valiant is doing, and I love these characters. Their sales have been suffering and are at a level where they cannot be making a ton of money. Having said that, this company can succeed if people stick with them instead of running for the exits at the first sign of trouble. The negative press they are getting around their sales figures is just accelerating the perception that they're on the verge of failure. Don't believe the hype. Support the comics you enjoy and they will survive.

Quote Originally Posted by midas73 View Post
    I love what Valiant is doing, and I love these characters. Their sales have been suffering and are at a level where they cannot be making a ton of money. Having said that, this company can succeed if people stick with them instead of running for the exits at the first sign of trouble. The negative press they are getting around their sales figures is just accelerating the perception that they're on the verge of failure. Don't believe the hype. Support the comics you enjoy and they will survive.
    We may have argued this point before but the cooling off period from the time Classic Valiant/Acclaim folded it's tent and Nu Valiant's post 2008 economic meltdown launch lost them over half their original fanbase judging from before and after sales figures which is unfortunate. Launching at the 3.99 price point hasn't helped either. Maybe launching the classic trade reprints first would have been the smarter move.People on other threads have mentioned they only bought 1 or 2 titles back in the day. There didn't appear to be widespread support for all the books at the companies peak. The best comics on the market are just sputtering along.

Ummm...VALIANT still averages over 8k per title...that's higher than Boom! and Dynamite and I don't hear anyone declaring them bankrupt.

They just announced a Bloodshot movie is in production. Sounds like desperate times to me.

They've brought in some of the top talent in the industry recently like Matt Kindt, CAFU and Clayton Crain. I know all the creators out there flock to failing companies who won't be able to pay them when they go bankrupt.

You know what other books have lost readership after the 1st arc lately? Every single one from Marvel and DC. That's why they relaunch or cancel them every 6-12 months.

VALIANT has published consistently for over 2 years. They've never shipped a title late. Their marketing strategies have been copied by Dynamite and Marvel. Yup...any day now...

Quote Originally Posted by BugsySig View Post
    Ummm...VALIANT still averages over 8k per title...that's higher than Boom! and Dynamite and I don't hear anyone declaring them bankrupt.

They just announced a Bloodshot movie is in production. Sounds like desperate times to me.

They've brought in some of the top talent in the industry recently like Matt Kindt, CAFU and Clayton Crain. I know all the creators out there flock to failing companies who won't be able to pay them when they go bankrupt.

You know what other books have lost readership after the 1st arc lately? Every single one from Marvel and DC. That's why they relaunch or cancel them every 6-12 months.

VALIANT has published consistently for over 2 years. They've never shipped a title late. Their marketing strategies have been copied by Dynamite and Marvel. Yup...any day now...
    Tell them Bugsy, Valiant forever!

Quote Originally Posted by BugsySig View Post

Valiant absolutely is killing it and yet they can only draw about 8,500 orders per title per month. And it's true that no book by any publisher is able to hold anything close to its initial audience. These things make me very sad about the state of the comics industry.

I really hope Valiant pulls off a Bloodshot movie and that it's good. I would love for some movie revenue to prop up the comics side of the business, because orders in the 8-9,000 range really don't leave a lot of room for profitability.

I'll be getting all the new floppies and even the Q&W Omni.

VALIANT shows no sign of being in financial trouble. As noted other smaller publishers have titles that sell fewere and no one is calling the death kneel for BOOM!
    Dynamite has constant delays and has titles under VEI's figures per book and yet, no talk of folding shop for them.

Not sure why some wish to perpetuate the end of VALIANT. Is it because of the prior fold ups, that's all I can figure. The managment team that is in place now is focused on the core business unlike Acclaim who bought VALIANT(cause Shooter wanted out/forced out and ready to cash-in) just to make video games basically off the properties.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by midas73 View Post
    Valiant absolutely is killing it and yet they can only draw about 8,500 orders per title per month. And it's true that no book by any publisher is able to hold anything close to its initial audience. These things make me very sad about the state of the comics industry.

I really hope Valiant pulls off a Bloodshot movie and that it's good. I would love for some movie revenue to prop up the comics side of the business, because orders in the 8-9,000 range really don't leave a lot of room for profitability.
    You're absolutely right that it's a reflection of the industry, but today a company can remain profitable selling 5k + per title as Dynamite, Boom and Dark Horse have done for years. It really comes down to Movies and TV. If they can make that happen, and just be successful with just one, it can make everything worthwhile.

There is also the big unknown: digital. I skip the floppies and buy on comiXology. I wonder if Valiant has higher percentage of their income from digital than the larger publishers? The relaunch was right at the same time that comiXology really picked up steam.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Don C View Post
    1. You're going to have to prove your claims.

2. If you knew a company was in trouble, and you liked their product, why not buy their stuff new? You know, support them?
    If sales are slow, then I get better deals at cons on the trades....works for me