Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default The Mission: The Invincible Power of Iron Man & the Image Worth Five Issues

With the first arc of Marvel's "Invincible Iron Man" by Brian Michael Bendis & David Marquez completed, Joseph reveals why he's a fan of the book.

Full article here.

Veteran Member

Hmm...I like a lot of Joseph's columns, but he might be giving that panel a little too much credit. While it's nice to see, it's hardly profound.

Might be profound to a casual/new reader

It's moments like that that should be more common place in comics to where it's now normal and something you cut out and frame

Actually, it stood out to me when I first read that issue. There's substance in that scene.

Veteran Member

But I see that scene in my real life. Not quite everyday, but it's not uncommon. It's cute, but is it a grand statement about the possibilities of a better America?

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    But I see that scene in my real life. Not quite everyday, but it's not uncommon. It's cute, but is it a grand statement about the possibilities of a better America?
    More about the broad appeal of superhero merchandise. I'm 90% sure I've seen exactly this a bunch of times. It even makes more sense in this example than having a white kid be Cap, because Cap is currently black. Seems obvious. Slow week for material, I guess?

I love how this generation is obsessed with race and gender politics and acts like we live under some kind of totalitarian oppression and pretends that anything even the tiniest bit progressive is like some grand statement against said oppression. Like fudge people. There are some things I hope to see improve here n there, but for the most part, like 99% of the time, you can be and do whatever you want with your life. It was never illegall, let alone frowned upon, for a black kid to where a Captain America shirt or an Asian child to where a Spidey mask. Do whatchu want.

Veteran Member

I mean, there's nothing wrong with the scene and I'm not hating. I just thought he went a little overboard with the praise.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Some Guy View Post
    I love how this generation is obsessed with race and gender politics and acts like we live under some kind of totalitarian oppression and pretends that anything even the tiniest bit progressive is like some grand statement against said oppression. Like fudge people. There are some things I hope to see improve here n there, but for the most part, like 99% of the time, you can be and do whatever you want with your life. It was never illegall, let alone frowned upon, for a black kid to where a Captain America shirt or an Asian child to where a Spidey mask. Do whatchu want.
    Well...America's never not been obsessed with race and gender. This generation is no different. Now you can make the case that what is or is not acceptable within gender roles or how races deal with each other may shift or change, but controversies have always existed. It's not something that's just happened in the last ten years. And just to defend Joe a little bit, he didn't suggest that people oppressing anyone, he just found the image very moving and inspirational. My thing was I found it cute but not as grand as he was making it
    Last edited by ed2962; 01-11-2016 at 07:56 PM.

Newbie Member

Wow. Love how everyone on here feels like it isn't such a big deal. Well, it isn't. But still acting like this isn't a good thing, and that it has always been this way is straight up lying. Everything doesn't happen around your hometown, or view point. Let's all remember that.

I've always found it weird how people in the Marvel and DC universes brand themselves with the iconography of vigilantes who recklessly gamble the fate of the Earth and the whole of humanity with zero supervision, sanction or authorization by any government or the people who elect those governments. It is one thing for Iron Man to stop a bank robber, quite another for him to battle Kang the Conqueror when the fate of the time-stream is at stake.

In a lot of ways, Superheroes, in their universes, are kind of like Dog the Bounty Hunter in that they are not really accountable to anyone and do what they need to do to get the job done. I don't see many 5 year olds running around with Dog shirts because most parents would object to the hero worship of a vigilante. Yet in the Marvel Universe parents fling branded clothing at their children.

As I was approaching the final pages of the fifth and final issue of its first story arc, I found the scene with Tony Stark trying to convince a woman who's club he helped destroy to work for him was a humorous epilogue.
    Did Joseph somehow not know that the woman was MJ?
    "I can talk to spiders"
    - Kaine Parker

Newbie Member

I agree with the posters who say he's making too much out of this panel, especially when you compare it to the many other high-profile Marvel books right now that have people of color in iconic or key roles. I did appreciate, though, that when Tony wanted to show off that he knew Thor, the gag was done with Jane rather than Odinson, with no remark.

DKRIII is looking at you with it's 5.99 price point

Quote Originally Posted by Highland Chicken View Post
    Did Joseph somehow not know that the woman was MJ?
    It was just his phrasing to demonstrate how for Tony, she was a minor acquaintance at most or a celebrity he didn't previously know personally. But how that didn't stop him from making her the offer.

It was kind of hilarious to see the kid dressed as the Avenger chase the kid with the Spider-Man mask in the same panel where an Avenger is wooing a long-standing and popular Spider-Man character to join the cast of his own book.