Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Kevin Feige: (MCU) Spider-Man will not be an origin story

http://www.craveonline.com/film/articles/845723

In this interview, Marvel's Kevin Feige reveals certain aspects about the upcoming MCU set Spider-Man film. They are not doing an origin story.

“In Spider-Man’s very specific case, where there have been two retellings of that origin in the last whatever it’s been – [thirteen] years – for us we are going to take it for granted that people know that, and the specifics".

“There is a young kid [already] running around New York City in a homemade version of the Spider-Man costume in the MCU, you just don’t know it yet,“ he said, laughing.

There are other quotes at the link. The Ultimate Spider-Man comics are distinctly mentioned as doing things they want to explore in the new film. (Nick Fury cameo?)

Feige also mentioned that they've already designed Peter's costume. And it will be different from what has come before. (Webpits?)

But the most interesting thing was that Marvel was working on this deal when they made their announcements about Phase 3.

“Spider-Man we knew about when we were doing that announcement in October. It could have gone either way, and Marvel as you well know doesn’t announce announce anything officially until it’s set in stone. So we went forward with that Plan A in October, with the Plan B being, if it were to happen with Sony, how it would all shift,“ Feige told us, adding, “We’ve been thinking about it as long as we’ve been thinking about Phase Three.”

I'm cool with webpits.

AngelGroveRadioPodcast powerpackers90's Avatar

I think it's still going be told just it's not going to be the whole movie. I see his solo movie being post Civil War, and his first solo movie being him vs Doc Ock. and it was Otto's lab that he got bitten by the spider in. and the events of the movie will have him flashback to the spider biting him, him showing off, letting a crook get away, Uncle Ben being shot, and finally getting the the guy and find out it the same man he let go.
    Angel Grove Radio
    The "ALL NEW" Spider-Man's Tangled Web-Show ON YOUTUBE!!!!

I think the origin will be covered in flashbacks. but in 5 mins or so.

The costume I suspect will be a home-made version of the classic, but done right(unlike the Amazing Spider-Man costume in the first movie).

Quote Originally Posted by cyberhubbs View Post
    I'm cool with webpits.
    The webpits are just me speculating.

It's going to be a tough needle to thread.

Viewers will know the gist of Spider-Man's origin (bitten by an odd spider, Uncle Ben died, With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility) but there are some complications based on the previous films.

Were his parents tied to his origin?
    What's his relationship with Mary Jane?
    What's his relationship with Gwen Stacy?
    What made the spider that bit him so unusual? In the comics, we're used to the radioactive spider (although Ultimate has the Oz-modified spider.) The Raimi films had a genetically modified spider. The Webb films had something else entirely.
    Has he met Harry Osborn before?
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post

Viewers will know the gist of Spider-Man's origin (bitten by an odd spider, Uncle Ben died, With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility) but there are some complications based on the previous films.

What made the spider that bit him so unusual? In the comics, we're used to the radioactive spider (although Ultimate has the Oz-modified spider.) The Raimi films had a genetically modified spider. The Webb films had something else entirely.
    These are not important to the general Spider-Man basis IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by jimishim12 View Post
    To the casual fan mostly familiar with Spider-Man through movies and television it is. It was already confusing to some viewers to switch from Mary Jane to Gwen in the reboot.

Quote Originally Posted by jimishim12 View Post
    These were characters who knew Peter before he was Spider-Man in different versions of the story. So it could easily confuse filmgoers.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

1) Probably not. They're going to go with the basics (like Raimi did, which is the Ultimate origin). Webb's was overcomplicated and poorly received.
    2) To be explored in Sony's solo movie post-Civil War.
    3) To be explored in Sony's solo movie post-Civil War.
    4) The Raimi/Ultimate version, most likely (i.e: genetically engineered spider as opposed to radiation, other than that, it's pretty much the same as the 616 origin). They won't include the "parents are scientist/conspiracy/secret destiny" thing from TASM, IMHO.
    5) To be explored in Sony's solo movie post-Civil War.

I'm curious about the new costume, though.

they'll likely opt for the cleanest way forward.

ignore.

trickier. they'll just need to pick one and run with her. which one will make little overall difference. i'd make it that they (gwen or mj) know each other but aren't together quite yet. or at least its very early days with their dating.

ignore specifics. flashback to montage: spider bite, powers developing, swinging through the city. audience is refreshed.

ignore harry. set up a new antagonist.

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    ignore specifics. flashback to montage: spider bite, powers developing, swinging through the city. audience is refreshed.
    A spider infused with Terrigenesis gives Peter his powers, thus completing Marvel's agenda of converting everyone into Inhumans!

By the sound of the interview it sounds like they are heavily influenced by Ultimate Spider-Man, which sucks. I mean, I read all the Ultimate Spidey comics, but to me it was a side story / alt reality, and not the true story of Spider-Man.

I'd love to see them start Peter off, and show him talk back to Flash, gain the affection of Liz Allen, and take on a classic such as Mysterio.

Then, next I'd love to see Peter/Gwen/MJ/Harry at the Silver Spoon in the college days. I want to see Gwen be smart, beautiful, and studious, and MJ be the hot, sexy, wild party girl turning heads and shocking guys. Thats what makes it so fun that Peter ends up with her. She's the last person you would expect he could handle, but it turns out there is more to her than meets the eye.

I don't want to see Ultimate MJ, that would be too much like Gwen form TASM2. Just with a different hair color and a worse family life.

They need to look at Spider-Man Blue to get it right for the earlier movies. Then move on to adapting later Spidey stories they never got to in the other movies. Seriously, they should do everything, the clone saga, alien costume, the marriage, clone saga 2, final chapter. I'm dead serious, this whole idea that some arcs would be bad for film is total BS. The clone saga wasn't a bad story, it just had poorly executed sub-arcs that could be completely left out, and focus on the good bits. Make Spidey go on and on. No more reboots. If one movie is lackluster, do better next time, but keep the story going and use 616 as your Bible.

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post
    By the sound of the interview it sounds like they are heavily influenced by Ultimate Spider-Man, which sucks.
    They're heavily influence by the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon, which is actually worse.
    I couldn't get myself to watch more than 2 episodes of that dumb thing.

If at any point during the movie, everything stops while Peter turns and talks directly to the camera, I'm leaving the theater and demanding a refund.

They've said that romance isn't going to be a focus this time, so it really doesn't matter who the girl will be, at least not to the countless shippers on this forum. Like the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon whoever the girl is in Peters life would probably be a platonic friend with some hint of a relationship for future movies to explore.

And I have a feeling that, with the heavy Ulimate comic influence, Peter will die to make way for Miles Morales eventually, so ultimately any romance that surface isn't going to matter either.
    Last edited by Probalus; 04-15-2015 at 03:41 PM.