Page 49 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3945464748495051 LastLast
Results 721 to 735 of 752
  1. #721
    Spectacular Member ERON's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    171

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Because we see too much CHERRY PICKING.

    It's like because Marvel put out a few black lead book-I am suppose to buy them because I am black. Well according to some folks YES and if I don't I am the reason comic book stores closed. Or my blackness gets questioned.

    Yet where is this for hey straight white males you are suppose to only buy books with straight white males as the leads. If that was the case-wouldn't Antman still have a book and NOT moon Girl?

    Hal's book is not selling well and John Stewart fans were the ONLY ones chastised for not buying the book. We were not REAL fans of the franchise. Lead mainly by ONE certain fanbase. Kyle nor Guy fans were chastised.


    I think the point jbmasta was making was for YEARS all we heard was "WE WANT RICH" and saw trolling in any thread about Sam Alexander. So Marvel gave Rich fans what they wanted and guess who did not show up.

    Same with Hal fans-you got what you wanted-don't get mad because it's not the way YOU wanted it.
    So if I beg Marvel for a new Thunderstrike book for years, and they give me a Thunderstrike/NFL Superpro team up book by Chuck Austen and Rob Liefeld, I should just shut up and take it?

  2. #722
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    2,087

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ERON View Post
    So if I beg Marvel for a new Thunderstrike book for years, and they give me a Thunderstrike/NFL Superpro team up book by Chuck Austen and Rob Liefeld, I should just shut up and take it?
    I think if you're really invested in the character you'll try the first issue or two, make an informed decision on whether or not to drop the book.

  3. #723
    Better than YOU! Alan2099's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,473

    Default

    I've always been more of the mindset that a creative team has ONE issue to grab my attention. Just one. I'm not going to stick around to wait and see if it get better. You should present your A-Game from the start.

  4. #724
    Boisterously Confused
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,329

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    I've always been more of the mindset that a creative team has ONE issue to grab my attention. Just one. I'm not going to stick around to wait and see if it get better. You should present your A-Game from the start.
    Harsh! I leave room for at least a stumble.

  5. #725
    Extraordinary Member Trey Strain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,817

    Default

    When something hasn't worked, and you suggest that it be changed. Then some guy in his 40s or older, who should be playing with his grandchildren, acts like you've slapped his mother's face.

    News flash -- it's a business, and like most businesses, it's not about its oldest customers.

  6. #726
    Incredible Member LordMikel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    932

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    I've always been more of the mindset that a creative team has ONE issue to grab my attention. Just one. I'm not going to stick around to wait and see if it get better. You should present your A-Game from the start.
    Initially I thought, man harsh, but then I realized, no pretty accurate. I've dropped a lot of titles when they swerved me in a direction I didn't like. In the "long game" perhaps things changed got better, but I have better things to do with my time than read subpar stories waiting for that exciting payoff.
    A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
    ― Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless


    "That's the problem with our opposition they keep thinking nobody could possibly be as stupid as we are. Fools 'em every time."
    ―Lando Calrissian[src]

  7. #727
    Astonishing Member dancj's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,157

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    When something hasn't worked, and you suggest that it be changed. Then some guy in his 40s or older, who should be playing with his grandchildren, acts like you've slapped his mother's face.

    News flash -- it's a business, and like most businesses, it's not about its oldest customers.
    Is that really how you see the many threads you start where suggest something and pretty much every points out why it won't work?

  8. #728

  9. #729
    Astonishing Member dancj's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,157

    Default

    They do? Have those things actually happened?

    And that "$3.99 for floppies on fancy paper, or $1.99 for floppies on newsprint?" is a classic example of what I'm talking about. Of course people set yes in the vote, just like they'd say yes if you offered them free money, but no-one other than you in the thread actually seemed to think it was possible.

  10. #730
    Extraordinary Member Trey Strain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,817

    Default

    Someone who if you say the sky is up, he'll say, no, it's down -- because DC has always depicted it as down, or because you said it was up before he did.

    Older readers who fail to recognize that because something sold a long time ago and then stopped selling, it'll need retooling before it'll sell again. These are people who are nostalgic for their youth and are out of touch.

    People who fail to recognize that comics will never again be a growth industry. They lobby for ongoings that star their favorite second-tier characters, and they feel very confident that sooner or later the scales will fall from everyone's eyes and that those dream comics will become hits. These also tend to be older readers.

    Younger readers don't flock to message boards and complain so much. When they stop liking a comic, they just stop buying it. Older readers tend to complain but keep buying it anyway. That's why you need to watch the sales. That and the money.

  11. #731
    Mighty Member Starter Set's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    1,587

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    Younger readers don't flock to message boards and complain so much. When they stop liking a comic, they just stop buying it. Older readers tend to complain but keep buying it anyway
    Younger readers don't have the emotional attachment to some books that some older readers may have.

    But you can bet that one day those younger readers, not so young anymore, are going to act in a similar manner. Maybe not with comic books but they will with something else.

    We all are foolish like that.
    "Help us George Lucas, you're our only hope"

  12. #732
    DC Comics Forum Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    9,778

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    Younger readers don't have the emotional attachment to some books that some older readers may have.

    But you can bet that one day those younger readers, not so young anymore, are going to act in a similar manner. Maybe not with comic books but they will with something else.

    We all are foolish like that.
    True. Also, the younger ones who do complain tend to be less mature about their whining (the older types are usually just cranky ).
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

    Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

    Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

  13. #733
    Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Northwest UK
    Posts
    2,993

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post

    Younger readers don't flock to message boards and complain so much.
    One of them certainly does.

    I find that statement rather odd considering how much time you spend on the DC boards. It's chock-a-block with younger fans complaining and always has been.

    I don't think it's the 'complaining' that you so loathe. I suspect it's the fact that they don't respond positively to the often outlandish proposals that you put forward to 'fix' DC Comics and their sales. Which, of course, is naturally your problem to solve.

  14. #734
    Ultimate Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    12,662

    Default

    I think some "younger" fans ( and by that I mean folks I assume to be in their 30's) take things way to personally. They don't go,"Oh Marvel cancelled Bloodclot Man...that's sux because he's my favorite character." They go, "I stuck with Bloodclot Man through thick and thin, it is a betrayal to me!" "Marvel gave a title to this new character Sunflower Girl, but won't give a solo to Dr Ragweed! Marvel just did this to thumb their nose at us long term fans!"

  15. #735
    Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Northwest UK
    Posts
    2,993

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I think some "younger" fans ( and by that I mean folks I assume to be in their 30's) take things way to personally. They don't go,"Oh Marvel cancelled Bloodclot Man...that's sux because he's my favorite character." They go, "I stuck with Bloodclot Man through thick and thin, it is a betrayal to me!" "Marvel gave a title to this new character Sunflower Girl, but won't give a solo to Dr Ragweed! Marvel just did this to thumb their nose at us long term fans!"
    Precisely. The various Teen Titans related threads alone make the above assertion that 'younger fans don't complain too much' look absurd. They often have a huge chip on their shoulder, just not in a way that affects the previous poster. Therefore he does his usual trick of ignoring it.

    On a much more important note though, I can't wait for Bloodclot Man to make his next appearance. That is gold.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •