Page 73 of 132 FirstFirst ... 236369707172737475767783123 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,095 of 1967

Quote Originally Posted by Bri View Post
    Has anybody considered that the TV shows and Movies have probably created many new readers, but they just are not buying comics? I am sure that just like the music industry the comic book industry is losing many thousands of people to piracy. The fact is comics cost too much. $3.50-$5 for a stapled pamphlet or single digital download is beyond what most people are willing to pay for 10 minutes of entertainment. If comic publishers want to survive they need to offer a cheap, easy way to pay for digital comics. The music industry nearly went under before they learned this lesson, and still many more people pirate music than pay for it. Once people figure out how to get something for free it is hard to convert them to a pay model, unless that pay model is very cheap, easy and better then what is offered for free. You will never get all the digital pirates to convert but the longer you wait the less you will get.
    I don't think piracy is as big as it used to be.
    Not with comics being more widely available in libraries, bookstores and legal digital alternatives.

I'm pretty sure apps like Spotify has put a big dent in music piracy.
    Marv Wolfman, regarding Convergence: New Teen Titans: "I've got to say that after I handed in the book, I got a call from Dan (Didio) and at some point he said, 'You really love those characters, don't you?'"

I think its also worth noting that lots of newer readers don't buy from comic shops. There's 6-7 in my City and literally everyone of them mark up prices (literally put a sticker over the price on the back with a higher amount).
    Whereas Chapters (Canadian Barnes and Noble) will sell it to me at market value or online at 30% off. For those of us who are new and have no loyalty to the idea of comic stores it financially makes no sense to buy there. The only time I buy something from a comic store if I want something several years old I can't get through Chapters. So no one like me is represented in Diamond sales at all, despite the fact I've spent around $500.00 on comics this year.
    Current Pull: Lazarus, Invincible, Aquaman, Batman, Detective Comics, Flash, Green Arrow, Green Lanterns, Nightwing, Titans, Daredevil, All New Inhumans, Uncanny Inhumans, Black Panther, Archie, Ninjak.

Possible adds to Pull: Trinity, Batgirl and the Birds of Prey, Blue Beetle, Supergirl

Quote Originally Posted by GlennSimpson View Post
    Or to put it another way, the other media does create new readers, it just doesn't create a huge number of them.
    Pretty much what I was saying.
    Aftershock: Alters/Captain Kid/Revisionist/Rough Riders/Second Sight
    DC: Action/Batman/Birds of Prey/Blue Beetle/'Tec/Deadman/Doctor Fate/Earth2/Flash/Gotham Academy/Green Lanterns/Hawkman & Adam Strange/Midnighter & Apollo/New Super-Man/Nightwing/RHATO/Shade:TCG/Supergirl/Superman/Super Sons/Titans/Trinity/Vigilante
    Valiant: 4001AD/Archer & Armstrong/Bloodshot Reborn/Britannia/Divinity/Faith/Generation Zero/Harbringer Renegades/Ninjak/Rai

I am a Paladin of Voltron!

Quote Originally Posted by dan12456 View Post
    I think its also worth noting that lots of newer readers don't buy from comic shops. There's 6-7 in my City and literally everyone of them mark up prices (literally put a sticker over the price on the back with a higher amount).
    Whereas Chapters (Canadian Barnes and Noble) will sell it to me at market value or online at 30% off. For those of us who are new and have no loyalty to the idea of comic stores it financially makes no sense to buy there. The only time I buy something from a comic store if I want something several years old I can't get through Chapters. So no one like me is represented in Diamond sales at all, despite the fact I've spent around $500.00 on comics this year.
    What dunderheads! If you are going to deviate from the MSRP, you deviate downwards so as to encourage more sales. You don't charge more. That's just asking for people to take their hard earned money elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by RobinFan4880 View Post
    What dunderheads! If you are going to deviate from the MSRP, you deviate downwards so as to encourage more sales. You don't charge more. That's just asking for people to take their hard earned money elsewhere.
    Yeah, that's pretty stupid of them. I'd certainly be taking my money elsewhere if that were the case at my LCS.
    DC: Action/Batman/Birds of Prey/Blue Beetle/'Tec/Deadman/Doctor Fate/Earth2/Flash/Gotham Academy/Green Lanterns/Hawkman & Adam Strange/Midnighter & Apollo/New Super-Man/Nightwing/RHATO/Shade:TCG/Supergirl/Superman/Super Sons/Titans/Trinity/Vigilante
    Valiant: 4001AD/Archer & Armstrong/Bloodshot Reborn/Britannia/Divinity/Faith/Generation Zero/Harbringer Renegades/Ninjak/Rai

Great week for DC in digital this week, with them taking not only ten of the top 20... but also claiming all five of the top five spots.
    Will have more full chart tomorrow when I collect the rating details and adjust any last minute changes.

1. JUSTICE LEAGUE: DARKSEID WAR - BATMAN
    2. BATMAN AND ROBIN ETERNAL
    3. BATGIRL
    4. GRAYSON
    5. SUPERMAN

Interestingly, Grayson was on the cover of three of the top five books.
    Last edited by Lee Stone; 11-01-2015 at 02:25 PM.
    Marv Wolfman, regarding Convergence: New Teen Titans: "I've got to say that after I handed in the book, I got a call from Dan (Didio) and at some point he said, 'You really love those characters, don't you?'"

I know I've brought it up before, but I looked it up a little to confirm, and it's worth noting DC is publishing 5 or so fewer comics a month than they were 4 years ago, and their sales are still right in line with back then. So obviously they're doing just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kalicki View Post
    I know I've brought it up before, but I looked it up a little to confirm, and it's worth noting DC is publishing 5 or so fewer comics a month than they were 4 years ago, and their sales are still right in line with back then. So obviously they're doing just fine.
    That's a good thing to bring up.
    However, I think the extra sales from variant covers (which will often equal 100k copies alone) help make up the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    Great week for DC in digital this week, with them taking not only ten of the top 20... but also claiming all five of the top five spots.
    Will have more full chart tomorrow when I collect the rating details and adjust any last minute changes.

1. JUSTICE LEAGUE: DARKSEID WAR - BATMAN
    2. BATMAN AND ROBIN ETERNAL
    3. BATGIRL
    4. GRAYSON
    5. SUPERMAN

Interestingly, Grayson was on the cover of three of the top five books.
    I was noticing that as well. Really decent showing for DC as far as digital goes. I doubt it will be reflected in floppy sales though unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    That's a good thing to bring up.
    However, I think the extra sales from variant covers (which will often equal 100k copies alone) help make up the difference.
    Variant covers are a cheap way to increase sales without producing more content.

Without further ado...

Comics for October 28th digital rankings chart.

Note that this week, I'm dropping the print comparison, as I ran out of time and DC had 21 comics this week.

Last week's titles in their Comixology ranking order, along with number of ratings (confirmed sales):

1. JUSTICE LEAGUE: DARKSEID WAR - BATMAN (212 ratings, or confirmed sales)
    2. BATMAN AND ROBIN ETERNAL (208)
    3. BATGIRL (134)
    4. GRAYSON (128)
    5. SUPERMAN (98)
    6. FLASH (68, adjusted to 69 due to ranking)
    7. ROBIN, SON OF BATMAN (64, adjusted to 68)
    8. CYBORG (67)
    9. JUSTICE LEAGUE 3001 (39, adjusted to 65)
    10. WE ARE ROBIN (45, adjusted to 64)
    11. SINESTRO (40, adjusted to 63)
    12. AQUAMAN (39, adjusted to 62)
    13. DEATHSTROKE (50, adjusted to 61)
    14. HE-MAN: ETERNITY WAR (60)
    15. NEW SUICIDE SQUAD (27, adjusted to 44)
    16. PREZ (43)
    17. GOTHAM BY MIDNIGHT (31)
    18. ART OPS (20, adjusted to 25)
    19. ALL-STAR SECTION EIGHT (24)
    20. SANDMAN: OVERTURE (3, adjusted to 6)
    21. VERTIGO QUARTERLY: SFX (5)

(For ratings/confirmed sales comparison, Batman's latest issue after same amount of time: 320, unadjusted.)

Initial thoughts: Great week for DC. Grayson is everywhere!

Full Top 20 for October 28th
    (With unadjusted ratings.)

1. JUSTICE LEAGUE: DARKSEID WAR - BATMAN #1 (212)
    2. BATMAN AND ROBIN ETERNAL #4 (208)
    3. BATGIRL #45 (134)
    4. GRAYSON #13 (128)
    5. SUPERMAN #45 (98)

6. KANAN #7 (140)
    7. NEW AVENGERS #2 (114)
    8. BLACK MAGICK #1 (144)
    9. CHEWBACCA #2 (136)
    10. CAPTAIN AMERICA #2 (112)

11. FLASH #45 (68)
    12. UNBEATABLE SQUIRREL GIRL #1 (123)
    13. ROBIN, SON OF BATMAN #5 (64)
    14. SPIDER-MAN 2099 #2 (76)
    15. CYBORG #4 (67)
    16. HOUSE OF M #4 (53)
    17. CHEW #51 (35)
    18. JUSTICE LEAGUE 3001 #5 (39)
    19. ANGELA: QUEEN OF HEL #1 (81)
    20. WE ARE ROBIN #5 (45)
    Last edited by Lee Stone; 11-02-2015 at 11:07 PM.

DC is really killing it on the digital side.

Even with all the publicity Captain America is getting, it still only hit #10.

DC Comics Forum Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RobinFan4880 View Post
    DC is really killing it on the digital side.

Even with all the publicity Captain America is getting, it still only hit #10.
    Maybe floppy marketing strategy doesn't translate the same way to digital? I personally have no idea, but it is something to think about.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

And... an attempt to decipher the weekly rankings into a Top 40 of the month.
    I used the weekly rankings and the 5-day ratings info for each title to create this list.

Note that I am not a professional, and this is not THE definitive list, but using the info available to us and providing a bit of logic, this is what I came up with.

October 2015 Top 40 Digital Comics

1. SECRET WARS #6 (#1 for its week with 556 ratings, or confirmed sales)
    2. JUSTICE LEAGUE #45 (#1 for its week with 385 ratings)
    3. STAR WARS: SHATTERED EMPIRE #4
    4. STAR WARS #10
    5. DARTH VADER #10
    6. STAR WARS: SHATTERED EMPIRE #2
    7. INVINCIBLE IRON MAN #1
    8. WALKING DEAD #147 (#1 for its week with 346 ratings)
    9. BATMAN #45
    10. STAR WARS: SHATTERED EMPIRE #3

11. AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #1
    12. BATMAN AND ROBIN ETERNAL #1
    13. DARTH VADER #11
    14. DOCTOR STRANGE #1
    15. INVINCIBLE IRON MAN #2
    16. MS. MARVEL #19
    17. SEX CRIMINALS #13
    18. BATMAN AND ROBIN ETERNAL #2
    19. AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #2
    20. BATMAN AND ROBIN ETERNAL #3

21. WICKED + DIVINE #15
    22. UNCANNY AVENGERS #1
    23. GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY #1
    24. CIVIL WAR #5
    25. NEW AVENGERS #1
    26. A-FORCE #1
    27. SPIDER-GWEN #1
    28. JLA #4
    29. CHEWBACCA #1
    30. SUPERMAN: LOIS & CLARK #1

31. JUSTICE LEAGUE: DARKSEID WAR - BATMAN #1 (#1 for its week with 212 ratings)
    32. BATMAN AND ROBIN ETERNAL #4

33. INVINCIBLE #124
    34. KARNAK #1
    35. AVENGERS #0
    36. OLD MAN LOGAN #5
    37. PAPER GIRLS #1
    38. EAST OF WEST #21
    39. CAPTAIN AMERICA #1
    40. ALL-NEW ALL-DIFFERENT MARVEL POINT-ONE #1

DC's Top Ten Digital Books for October:

1. JUSTICE LEAGUE #45 (385, adjusted to 415)
    2. BATMAN #45 (320)
    3. BATMAN AND ROBIN ETERNAL #1 (310)
    4. BATMAN AND ROBIN ETERNAL #2 (260)
    5. BATMAN AND ROBIN ETERNAL #3 (230)
    6. JLA #4 (116, adjusted to 220)
    7. SUPERMAN: LOIS & CLARK #1 (218)
    8. JUSTICE LEAGUE: DARKSEID WAR - BATMAN #1 (212)
    9. BATMAN AND ROBIN ETERNAL #4 (208)
    10. BATGIRL #45 (134, adjusted to 149)

Marvel's Top Ten Digital Books for October:

1. SECRET WARS #6 (556)
    2. STAR WARS: SHATTERED EMPIRE #4 (414)
    3. STAR WARS #10 (267, adjusted to 358)
    4. DARTH VADER #10 (232, adjusted to 357)
    5. STAR WARS: SHATTERED EMPIRE #2 (305, adjusted to 356)
    6. INVINCIBLE IRON MAN #1 (355)
    7. STAR WARS: SHATTERED EMPIRE #3 (314)
    8. AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #1 (224, adjusted to 311)
    9. DARTH VADER #11 (306)
    10. DOCTOR STRANGE #1 (289)
    Last edited by Lee Stone; 11-03-2015 at 02:42 PM.

Elder Member

I'm surprised no one's posted about this (even if it's not really good news...):
    ALL-NEW, ALL-DIFFERENT MARVEL Doubles Up DC in October 2015 Comic Book Sales

1. Invincible Iron Man #1 $3.99 Marvel
    2. Amazing Spider-Man #1 $5.99 Marvel
    3. Spider-Gwen #1 $3.99 Marvel
    4. Secret Wars #6 $3.99 Marvel
    5. Doctor Strange #1 $4.99 Marvel
    6. Star Wars #10 $3.99 Marvel
    7. Chewbacca #1 $3.99 Marvel
    8. Star Wars: Shattered Empire #2 $3.99 Marvel
    9. Guardians Of The Galaxy #1 $3.99 Marvel
    10. Amazing Spider-Man #2 $3.99 Marvel

It seems that, while DC is doing a great job digitally, they're really hurting on the floppies market.