Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Mmm shortly after BOTA I believe. I just couldn't handle more Bendis X-Men. I still read a plot summary every now and then, and I usually checked the threads here. I did read the Bobby issue though, to figure out what I thought about it.

I quit Uncanny way back at the end of the Inferno plot-line, but to be honest I hadn't been enjoying the book since Silvestri came on board as artist. I've said it before, but my X-Men were fallible underdogs who had at least some semblance of naturalism in their depiction - when the team started to become overpowered bad-asses who couldn't stand still without looking like they were posing for a calendar, that's when I had to call it a day. Claremont really started to lose his edge in both dialogue and plotting by the end of the Mutant Massacre, but up until then the series was remarkably steady in quality (imo).

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    I quit Uncanny way back at the end of the Inferno plot-line, but to be honest I hadn't been enjoying the book since Silvestri came on board as artist. I've said it before, but my X-Men were fallible underdogs who had at least some semblance of naturalism in their depiction - when the team started to become overpowered bad-asses who couldn't stand still without looking like they were posing for a calendar, that's when I had to call it a day. Claremont really started to lose his edge in both dialogue and plotting by the end of the Mutant Massacre, but up until then the series was remarkably steady in quality (imo).
    I HATE the concept of overpowered bad asses who only lose to the Avengers. Omega became the go to for the "My character is omega thus awesome" crowd. I HATED all the flash and glam posing.
    Wolverine hatred grew, when nothing could hurt the guy. I just gave up. Thankfully uncanny X-men.net kept me informed. I truly hated what the X-men became. I loved when they were pretty much at their one trick pony best. Their villains always seemed overwhelming, but they could pull out the victory. Now they just slap anybody, NOT an Avenger around.
    Is always confused.....

My Name is Psylocke, "Stabby stabby pew pew!"

My Psylocke stories at Fanfiction.net (ignore the editing, it's bad on purpose) https://www.fanfiction.net/~tazirai
    My better edited versions on Comicvine. Just check profile and my forum posts in fan fiction section. http://comicvine.gamespot.com/profile/tazirai/

Inferno is really where they lost me completely.

The demonization of Madelyne Pryor pretty much was the final straw. It absolutely negated everything the X-Men had previously stood for.

So she was a clone. Where is the understanding and tolerance that the X-Men were famous for championing? Why didn't they save Maddie from herself and the demons?

She was one of their family. Being a clone produced by a supervillain shouldn't have made one bit of difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrin Kelley View Post

The demonization of Madelyne Pryor pretty much was the final straw. It absolutely negated everything the X-Men had previously stood for.

So she was a clone. Where is the understanding and tolerance that the X-Men were famous for championing? Why didn't they save Maddie from herself and the demons?

She was one of their family. Being a clone produced by a supervillain shouldn't have made one bit of difference.
    That's like 20 years ago....
    Stop complaining and start dancing!

26, almost 27, years to be exact.

Also, Maddie made it very, very clear that she did not want to be saved.

Started right before Age of Apocalypse and quit just before Onslaught. I tried once when a friend suggested Rise and Fall of the Shiar Empire. Other than that, I haven't read a new X-Men book, nor bought any back issues.

Edit: I forgot I did buy the 10 year follow up mini and one-shots to AoA.
    Last edited by bloodofthegods; 11-03-2015 at 11:45 AM.

Are you serious? Have you never delt with someone who has suicidal depression? Because that's exactly what Maddie was suffering. Along with major aggrivation of the condition by demonic influence. She was in desperate need of help.

What she needed was strong intervention. Even if she was kicking and screaming in resistance. Because that is what it takes to save the life of someone in that condition.

I don't care how long ago it was. That's when the X-Men went completely off the rails to me.

They were supposed to be heroes. And heroes save people. Especially those they consider family.

hangin on by a thread... donpricetag's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by donpricetag View Post
    Couldnt relate to or have interest the stories, nor did the main characters of said stories keep my attention. Everything felt like a filler, or spot saver. Just spinning their wheels while the rest of the surrounding universe moved along. I guess started loosing interest around the time they ended Spurrier's Legacy, Hopeless' X-Force and Asmus' Gambit. I gave Bendis' X-titles a try but I found them flat and unreadable in some points. Like they were tapping on a demographic that imo doesnt exist. Started reading PAD's X-Factor... started out pretty good but its kind of obvious his work started to wain once he found out the book was being canceled (even though it was outselling many other still existing books). Marvel's whole marketing strategy and sales projections need to be revamped. Readership shrinks as a whole every year. Constantly alienating your current readership to chase a group that doesnt (new readers!) exist is lunacy. They need to temper their sales expectations to whats more achievable, and not to yesteryear. When they return to making good stories and not constantly trying to hit old bench mark sales points by forcing us (or trying) to buy a dozen tie-ins or relaunches, I think they'll find their stride again.
    Correction; this was the 2nd time I stopped reading, the most recent. The first time happened around the start of Golgotha... It got a little too weird for me. That was Millans run, right, 2005? But I stopped reading for a solid 5 years after that. I came back around the end of AoX and had to do some back-reading starting with Messiah Complex, then went a little further back to Blood of Apocalypse... wish I didnt. That was a pretty nonsensical story.
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters.
    You want more Gambit? Demand it. Tweet the editor! @danielketchum

Are you serious? Have you never delt with someone who has suicidal depression? Because that's exactly what Maddie was suffering. Along with major aggrivation of the condition by demonic influence. She was in desperate need of help.

What she needed was strong intervention. Even if she was kicking and screaming in resistance. Because that is what it takes to save the life of someone in that condition.

I don't care how long ago it was. That's when the X-Men went completely off the rails to me.

They were supposed to be heroes. And heroes save people. Especially those they consider family.
    They did try to help Maddie at first, but see, the thing is... she had literally brought about the end of the world. Even if it was just centered in Manhattan at that moment, it was still very much a demonic apocalypse. Was she solely to blame? No, of course not. But she was the primary reason and when she was presented with help, she refused it. I mean, if you're going to consider this the final straw, you might as well count the end of the Dark Phoenix Saga too. Why didn't they stop Jean from killing herself then? It's literally the same deal. Inferno purposefully emulated the DPS.

Quote Originally Posted by useridgoeshere View Post
    Secret Wars.
    I've basically been forced to "quit reading" because they haven't published anything I was reading for months now.
    Psylocke Magneto Archangel / Angel X-23 O5
    April 2012 Posts: 351 RIP me

I "stopped" reading around Fraction and Land's X-Men (that run was just BAD), so all I read was scans and what people posted here. OCCASIONALLY, I actually read some issues, but I *really* stopped at Avengers vs X-Men. So now I'm way behind and don't know what's going on at all!

That's what makes it fun! Ricochet Rita's Avatar

X-Men/Micronauts limited series. Where the dark psyche of Xavier was first introduced as a villainous character.

The psychic rape of Danielle Moonstar by the villain in Professor X's body in that series is something I will never forget.

For all Dani knew: it was Professor X that did it to her. And she was never given help to cope with that horrible violation.

I felt like I was robbed of my innocent perception of the X-Men with that limited series. Nothing was ever the same afterwards.
    I guess sometimes CC doesn't notice that he goes too far with some warped situations which he simply resolves turning to "mind control". This cannot be an excuse for everything, and his plots have been discussed often because of that (v.gr., the infamous: did Longshot raped Dazzler in Inferno?).

I think Maddie was more victim of editorial command than victim of her teammates, but I agree with you: the pity she got was small and too late.

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    That's like 20 years ago....
    Sadly, many of us are disappointed with X-Men till then .

When Colossus died. Death for sales' sake.

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    I stopped when there was no Gambit to be seen.
    Me too. I have no interest in any of the other teams or characters.
    "My superpower? I'm irresistible to women." Gambit- ANXF #9
    Gambit's kittens: Oliver, Lucifer and Figaro: Oliver and Company.

Guild Member