Page 1 of 118 123451151101 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 1758
  1. #1
    Standing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7,109

    Default Tomorrow comes: Legends of Tomorrow

    There was a lot of raised eyebrows when Dominic Purcell and Wentworth Miller were drafted onto DC'S LEGENDS OF TOMORROW--but I thought they and Caity Lotz were actually the best thing in the Pilot Part 1. And yes, I'm surprised to hear myself say that.

    First episodes are always a bit of a slog and I'm not judging the entire series based on this pilot, but the part I enjoyed most was the scene with Purcell, Miller and Lotz. With them on board the show won't get tedious.


    She talks kinda lazy and people say she she's crazy and her life's a mystery
    Oh, but love grows where my Rosemary goes and nobody knows like me

    (another Tony Burrows one hit wonder)

  2. #2
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    6,458

    Default

    I wasn't impressed. It wasn't terrible, but nothing about it really engaged me, at least for most of the hour. It was mostly a bunch of exposition about Vandal Savage buttressed around 40 minutes of stuff that just happened so they could talk about Vandal Savage. Things didn't really start to click dramatically until Hunter's "confession" at the end. Speaking of Hunter, I didn't much care for the actor playing him. On the flip side, the guy playing Hawkman was much less annoying than he was on Arrow/Flash. The intro scene with Cold/Heat seems to confirm my theory about Jewel Staite's future character most likely being related to either Snart or Rory.The fact that Stein, a college professor, just happened to have some knockout drugs in his office to slip Jax raises all kinds of unsettling questions. I though Routh was the best from a character standpoint. He really projected the emptiness he felt at the realization that his life's work would amount to nothing. I felt bad for the guy.

  3. #3
    Newbie Member Azrael666's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    4

    Default

    I thought the pilot was pretty good and the show has potential. The best part is that all of the characters, aside from Rip, have already developed their backstory and origins so CW doesn't have to waste any time on that. My main flaw I see is that they know when Vandal was struck by the meteor and gained his powers, so they could just go back to ancient Egypt and kill Vandal then. They could kill him immediately after being hit by the meteor when he's at his weakest before he powered up by killing the Hawk's a couple hundred times. Plus that way the Hawk's still have their "immortality". Not only that, the staff they "needed" to kill him (a plotline that you can tell won't come back up) would be right there to use on him. That is going to bother me this entire series and I hope they mention some reasoning as to why they don't do this, like maybe the Egyptian Hawk's seeing their future selves would cause a butterfly effect or something. Anyway I'm going to stick with the series because it was enjoyable and I'm going to need to fill that 8 p.m. timeslot since Heroes is over.

  4. #4
    Incredible Member Black_Adam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    709

    Default

    I really enjoyed this, sure the start was a bit rushed (dude shows up talking up time travel and they automatically believe him), but besides that it was really fun and it had a surprising amount of heart with the "Hawk family" subplot. Can't wait to see how all these different characters work alongside one another and the relationship they forge, can already tell Heatwave is going steal the show. Only thing I found kinda odd was a team of 8 powerful superheroes running away from one guy with a laser gun.

    Also I wonder if they will address why Merlyn brought back Savage (at least I assume so after what happened on Arrow).

    Quote Originally Posted by Azrael666 View Post
    My main flaw I see is that they know when Vandal was struck by the meteor and gained his powers, so they could just go back to ancient Egypt and kill Vandal then. They could kill him immediately after being hit by the meteor when he's at his weakest before he powered up by killing the Hawk's a couple hundred times.
    Didn't Rip say something like the further back in time you go the worst it is on your body? Could be that the human body can't survive a trip going back that far.
    When you crush an ant beneath your foot, do feel remorse? No. Is this because you are evil or because you recognize yourself as a higher form of life? This is what the Wizard could not understand. If I have the powers of the gods, then am I not a god myself? Should I not be treated as such?

  5. #5
    Newbie Member Azrael666's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Black_Adam View Post
    Didn't Rip say something like the further back in time you go the worst it is on your body? Could be that the human body can't survive a trip going back that far.
    That was mentioned but they jumped back 4 decades and the side effects weren't too tragic. Why don't they jump back, gradually increasing the amount of years each jump. Rip jumped 150 years with no side effects so I imagine that you grow a tolerance the more times you travel back. Even if they only went back 4 decades at a time, rested and traveled back again they would eventually get there. Based on when King Tut lived it would take about 87 jumps, at 4 decades each time, to reach ancient Egyptian times. If Rip went back alone at 150 year jumps at a time he could make it 22 trips. He could just go back alone and kill Vandal before the meteor, to hell with the Hawks "immortality".

  6. #6
    Fantastic Member signalman112's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    345

    Default

    Off to a GOOD start. Solid 'B'
    Favorite scene: The Bar fight with the White Canary, Captain Cold, and Heat Wave.

    Also like the the Hawks reunion with their son.

    The Back story of Rip Hunter. The Waverider is cool looking inside and out.

    Also get to see Atom in his small size.

  7. #7
    DC Comics Forum Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    8,161

    Default

    Better-than-average pilot episode, IMO. I'm sold already.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

    Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

    Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

  8. #8
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    468

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kalorama View Post
    I wasn't impressed. It wasn't terrible, but nothing about it really engaged me, at least for most of the hour. It was mostly a bunch of exposition about Vandal Savage buttressed around 40 minutes of stuff that just happened so they could talk about Vandal Savage. Things didn't really start to click dramatically until Hunter's "confession" at the end. Speaking of Hunter, I didn't much care for the actor playing him. On the flip side, the guy playing Hawkman was much less annoying than he was on Arrow/Flash. The intro scene with Cold/Heat seems to confirm my theory about Jewel Staite's future character most likely being related to either Snart or Rory.The fact that Stein, a college professor, just happened to have some knockout drugs in his office to slip Jax raises all kinds of unsettling questions. I though Routh was the best from a character standpoint. He really projected the emptiness he felt at the realization that his life's work would amount to nothing. I felt bad for the guy.
    Everything you said is invalid in my mind. It was the best super hero show intro I've ever seen. EVER. I thoroughly enjoyed every moment.


    The Hunter actor and characterization were great, the cast was great. The only one that seems a bit forced was the non victor garber half of firestorm, but having captain cold and his hot head brother around are a treat. That bar scene was pure gold.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 01-22-2016 at 08:30 AM. Reason: rude

  9. #9
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    468

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by signalman112 View Post
    Off to a GOOD start. Solid 'B'
    Favorite scene: The Bar fight with the White Canary, Captain Cold, and Heat Wave.

    Also like the the Hawks reunion with their son.

    The Back story of Rip Hunter. The Waverider is cool looking inside and out.

    Also get to see Atom in his small size.
    When that ship decloaked I had a grin on my face from ear to ear, I looked like Ray Palmer.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    There was a lot of raised eyebrows when Dominic Purcell and Wentworth Miller were drafted onto DC'S LEGENDS OF TOMORROW--but I thought they and Caity Lotz were actually the best thing in the Pilot Part 1. And yes, I'm surprised to hear myself say that.
    I agree. The scene in the bar was a hoot.

    And having lived through 1975, I was happy to see it again.

    Sandy Hausler

  11. #11
    New and Improved hulahulk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,185

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sammael View Post
    Everything you said is invalid in my mind. It was the best super hero show intro I've ever seen. EVER. I thoroughly enjoyed every moment.


    The Hunter actor and characterization were great, the cast was great. The only one that seems a bit forced was the non victor garber half of firestorm, but having captain cold and his hot head brother around are a treat. That bar scene was pure gold.
    Pure gold? Hmm. To each his own.

    The acting alone is marginal; very cheesy in regards to the Fire & Ice Bobsy Twins. But I know not to expect too much from this show, having stayed true to Flash and Arrow despite those shows having the same flaws.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 01-22-2016 at 08:41 AM.
    Original join date: sometime in 2002

  12. #12
    Standing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7,109

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Hausler View Post
    I agree. The scene in the bar was a hoot.

    And having lived through 1975, I was happy to see it again.

    Sandy Hausler
    Not only have I lived through the '70s before, I was probably in that exact bar in the '70s (albeit a few years later, since I wasn't old enough to drink in '75)--although back then it was a strip club.

    She talks kinda lazy and people say she she's crazy and her life's a mystery
    Oh, but love grows where my Rosemary goes and nobody knows like me

    (another Tony Burrows one hit wonder)

  13. #13
    DC Comics Forum Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    8,161

    Default

    The most memorable things that happened to me in '75 were my tenth birthday, getting my first Batman and Spidey comics, and, oh, a baby sister along the way . Beyond that, it's a blur to me at the moment.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

    Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

    Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

  14. #14
    Veteran Member Double 0's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,318

    Default

    Decent first half of a pilot with some seriously questionable stuff (mostly from Stein. Drugs, being ok with Heatwave potentially taking out Rip, general attitude) and a Hawkpeople plot dragging it down (just use one Hawk. The destined couple crap is just that, crap. And it's not helping us further understand the very one dimensional Savage, or make me like either Hawkman or Woman).

    Jax got a raw deal all episode, but he's the kid so it's expected.

    I thought Rip would have the best arc, but Atom is definitely overshadowing him on that department. Might be because outside of Miller's scene chewing the hell out of this show, Routh's the only one really clicking.

    And I really like the idea of Sara chilling with the Rogues. Hell, even if it'd be a swerve, I like the idea of Sara BECOMING a Rogue right now. Especially if she gets led into it by this adventure (Rip using her as nothing more than an assassin, Rogues bonding with her, etc.)
    "Race is a social construct, they say. And I remind them that money is a social construct, too. Social constructs have power." DeRay Mckesson

  15. #15
    Mighty Member David Walton's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,952

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Azrael666 View Post
    I thought the pilot was pretty good and the show has potential. The best part is that all of the characters, aside from Rip, have already developed their backstory and origins so CW doesn't have to waste any time on that. My main flaw I see is that they know when Vandal was struck by the meteor and gained his powers, so they could just go back to ancient Egypt and kill Vandal then. They could kill him immediately after being hit by the meteor when he's at his weakest before he powered up by killing the Hawk's a couple hundred times. Plus that way the Hawk's still have their "immortality". Not only that, the staff they "needed" to kill him (a plotline that you can tell won't come back up) would be right there to use on him. That is going to bother me this entire series and I hope they mention some reasoning as to why they don't do this, like maybe the Egyptian Hawk's seeing their future selves would cause a butterfly effect or something. Anyway I'm going to stick with the series because it was enjoyable and I'm going to need to fill that 8 p.m. timeslot since Heroes is over.
    I think Rip Hunter is trying to subtly undermine Vandal Savage's various power grabs in ways that won't erase his own future. That's specifically why he selected this group, because there's no danger of a ripple effect that stops him from being born or something.

    Eventually, one of the team is going to point out how easy it would be to kill Savage when he's at his weakest, creating some dramatic conflict. I could even see a "this is why you don't go back in time and kill baby Hitler" style episode where someone goes rogue and tries it with disastrous consequences.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •