Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default "Prometheus" Writer Circles "Doctor Strange"; Hardy, Cumberbatch & Leto Still Rumored

Latest "Doctor Strange" news sees Jon Spaihts in talks to write, and Tom Hardy, Benedict Cumberbatch and Jared Leto on the short list to star.

Full article here.

The Jared Leto rumor was definitely unexpected... I think he would make a fantastic Doctor Strange. I hope he gets the role.

I'm up for Jared too at least from that list.

As far as the writer, his first prometheus script was largely rewritten by Damon Lindelof so I'm willing to give this guy a chance.
    Armed and cranky...

i'm not up for Jared Leto.

God no to both of these rumors. Prometheus was awful and no to Jared Leto. And Hardy and Cumberbatch don't look right for the role either.
    Last edited by KurtW95; 06-18-2014 at 09:13 PM.
    Jean Grey, Gwen Stacy, Nick Fury, Professor X, Mar-Vell, Richard Rider, Kid Loki- Bring Them Back!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ny4fifth View Post
    The Jared Leto rumor was definitely unexpected... I think he would make a fantastic Doctor Strange. I hope he gets the role.
    He's got my vote. The other two just don't feel like they could ever convince me they were Dr Strange. Cumberbatch is too well known and too distinctive to be anything but Cumberbatch.

Other popular fan suggestions: Daniel Day Lewis, Joseph Fiennes, Mads Mikkelsen, Viggo Mortensen, Aidan Gillen, Johnny Depp, Jason Isaacs, Joe Manganiello, Ioan Gruffudd, and Liam Neeson.

Joseph Fiennes seems pretty amazing as a choice.

We need a theatrically trained actor who can convey introverted emotion well; basically, we have to have a Vincent Price replacement.
    Last edited by Post Monster; 06-19-2014 at 03:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    Prometheus was awful ...
    QFT. Lindelof needs to be kept far, far away from any script.

Jon Spaihts is a much better choice for screenwriter than the writers currently listed on IMDB (Thomas Dean Donnelly and Joshua Oppenheimer). I personally didn't care for Prometheus and thought the writing was poor, but by all accounts Spaihts' original script was good enough to interest Ridley Scott, but his script was heavily re-written by Lindelof into the blather that made it into the final film. I'm willing to see what he can do with Doctor Strange.

So far as Jared Leto is concerned, I don't know too much about him. I've only seen him in one film, Dallas Buyers Club. He was amazing in that film. If he ends up being cast, I expect he'll do well.
    Live Faust, Die Jung.

Regardless of what people think of Prometheus, I like the film, flaws and all, and don't understand exactly why people seem to dislike it, but I won't get into that here.

Wouldn't be too sure about Benedict as Stephen, with that commanding voice, all all that. Not sure how the mustache would look.

Unlike Cumberbatch, I only know Hardy for two roles, that of Bane, and the charming English fellow from Inception. Might not be too bad.

I don't really know roles for Jared Leto, will look him up, and see.

Looking forward to film, regardless of Ancient One, Wong, Baron Mordo, Shuma-Gorath, Dormammu, or the Mindless Ones. Hope it's good. My Uncles' favourite from younger days, so hope it pleases him.

Of those, I'd go with Hardy, but if I had my way, it would be Timothy Olyphant I'd be going after.

You can read Jon Spaihts original Prometheus script online. It is slightly unfair to judge him for Prometheus. It was a perfectly fine Alien prequel script until Ridley Scott decided Damon Lindelof to rewrite much of it and Ridley did his usual last minute changes.

Spaihts original plans for Prometheus
    http://www.empireonline.com/intervie...w.asp?IID=1563

Junior Member Schwarzchild Radius's Avatar

I'm looking forward to it. Marvel has done pretty well with its movies lately, and CGI may finally be adequate for a good Doctor Strange story.

Provided it's a good script well acted, I'm willing to see any actor in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Post Monster View Post
    He's got my vote. The other two just don't feel like they could ever convince me they were Dr Strange. Cumberbatch is too well known and too distinctive to be anything but Cumberbatch.

Other popular fan suggestions: Daniel Day Lewis, Joseph Fiennes, Mads Mikkelsen, Viggo Mortensen, Aidan Gillen, Johnny Depp, Jason Isaacs, Joe Manganiello, Ioan Gruffudd, and Liam Neeson.

Joseph Fiennes seems pretty amazing as a choice.

We need a theatrically trained actor who can convey introverted emotion well; basically, we have to have a Vincent Price replacement.

Wow, so many of those choices are grossly unrealistic it isn't even funny.

This^

On board with Cumberbatch, Hardy, or Leto

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderByte View Post
    Wow, so many of those choices are grossly unrealistic it isn't even funny.
    I know, right? I've seen Matthew Goode, Clive Owen, Luke Evans, and Jack Huston batted around recently as well.

My one fear with Leto is that he's got to be angsty and tortured if we're doing the origin story, and I've never seen him do that. He's got to get that emotional intensity up to where it looks like he's staring through your soul. Cumberbatch would be better for that kind of tortured angst, but he doesn't look anything like Dr. Strange.