Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default ROLL CALL: Female DC Heroes Ready for Hollywood

With DC Entertainment's Diane Nelson expressing a desire to see more female heroes on-screen, CBR looks at DC's roster to see who's ready to make the leap.

Full article here.

My wife and I just adopted our third child, a daughter. We have two boys and a girl now. All 13 this year. I'm becoming more aware of just how important role models for girls, young ladies and women are. I hope Wonder Woman is developed into a successful film, and that it leads the way for other female-led films. I'd like to see Supergirl, Batgirl and Stargirl in movies.

I cannot express how completely I agree with every single word of this article.

These are all great heroines who would be easily brought to the big screen. And every single one of them would be AWESOME if handled properly.

I would add that Batwoman should not be ruled out either. Although until we start getting another round of Batman movies, that'll probably be less likely.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Wonder Woman is of course first and foremost a priority to bring to the big screen. But after that, I can see Raven - especially since she has such a rich backstory and she's not derivative of a male hero. I can also really see Stargirl as a very contemporary, all-audiences fun time. Her backstory of being a legacy hero (and to a male hero who never hit it big) could bring a lot of history to it as a more mainstream version of Robinson's "Starman."

Great list. Unfortunate that most would not translate.

Dark Phoenix didn't work for the X-Men 3
    Emma Frost was a blown effort in First Class
    Black Widow didn't intimidate anyone in Avengers

Ironic that the best female hero effort was the one with the least screen time: Haley Atwell as Peggy Carter in Captain America: First Avenger.

How about Star Sapphire too? A well cast Carol could be a character with Hal in any future GL movie content (like the rumoured Flash team up).
    Current Monthly Pulls (though I buy a ton of trades and stuff as well all the time):
    DC: Trinity of Sin, Justice League, Justice League United, Constantine, Justice League Dark, Smallville Season 11 Minis, Arrow Season 2.5
    Marvel: Avengers, New Avengers, Avengers World

Favourite DC Characters: Supergirl, Pandora, Red Lantern Bleez, Batgirl (Babs), Larfleeze, Green Arrow

Hyped for Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire!

Quote Originally Posted by neonrideraryeh View Post
    How about Star Sapphire too? A well cast Carol could be a character with Hal in any future GL movie content (like the rumoured Flash team up).
    *Sigh*

Why do I keep forgetting how awesome Carol has become in recent years? Yes Carol needs to get in on this cinematic action. Even if she doesn't get her own movie any time soon, just having her in the GL movies will be quite welcome.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

I would welcome any or all of these movies, and agree fully with the concept. However, the fundamental flaws in this ongoing premise are again avoided. By percentage, female heroes (and villains) in comics far outweigh female fans who show up weekly in comic shops or quarterly in movie theaters. Thus the expressed hope that greater sexual diversity would provide girls with powerful role models is predicated upon the assumption that girls will even pay the slightest attention to these characters. If so, then the proposed tactic of putting this cart ahead of the horse may yield some of the envisioned benefits. If not, we will be left with the same fanBOY base which presently dominates the comics landscape, and the same female proponents in the industry who are presently championing this feminist movement will retrench into charges of sexism and titillation as being the sole . . . and soul . . . reason for female characters, in print or on the screen.

You might agree or disagree, but you likely see my point.
    Last edited by Sturgeon's Law; 06-19-2014 at 10:33 AM.

Did I miss something? How is the portrayal of women characters at DC "embarrassing"?
    Last word out of your sorry mouth will be SIR and it will be LOUD!!

I didn't even think of Fire and Ice, but you're absolutely right. They are perfect for an adaptation.

I'd love to see DC heroines get a chance to shine also but here is how I view this article. Talk is cheap. If you say you want the DC Heroines to be used better then provide results. Don't be wishy washy with the heroines, looking at how WW is handled, and when they are going to be adapted for the big screen then at least put some effort into making the movie look good. Some animated movies starring them wouldn't hurt also.

The day I see this happening is the day WB stops it's dependency on Batman. Which wont happen anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by FIFTY-TWO (52) View Post
    Did I miss something? How is the portrayal of women characters at DC "embarrassing"?
    This. Mama Kent, Faora, Lois Lane killed it in Man of Steel. Talia al Ghul damn near outsmarted Batman. Rachel Dawes was pretty good.

As for future superheroes, Birds of Prey is a must. Zatanna, Supergirl, Mary Marvel are all tied down to the individual franchises (Constantine/Man of Steel), so besides BoP I can see Stargirl and that's about it so far.

"If Marvel can launch a new franchise featuring a raccoon with a ray gun, DC should be able to launch a third successful film franchise with one of its top characters". Lol why do people keep bringing this up like it means anything? Talking animals usually bring in huge box office numbers, plus this DC/Marvel comparison is stupid because it's not like Marvel has released/announced a female led movie either.

Umm, because Marvel is confident enough to release a movie with a c-list team which includes an anthropomorphic tree who only says one phrase over and over, and a talking space raccoon with a machine gun. Apparently that's easier to do than a movie about the most iconic female comic book character of all time. It's just sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    Umm, because Marvel is confident enough to release a movie with a c-list team which includes an anthropomorphic tree who only says one phrase over and over, and a talking space raccoon with a machine gun. Apparently that's easier to do than a movie about the most iconic female comic book character of all time. It's just sad.
    All I can say is that if we get a Black Widow, Sif, or even a Captain Marvel movie before WW then that speaks volumes about DC's priorities concerning female heroines.