Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21
  1. #1
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,205

    Default REVIEW: Nova, #18

    In "Nova" #18, Gerry Duggan and David Baldeon send Sam Alexander to the moon, where the fledgling Nova finds himself drawn into the "Original Sin" event.


    Full review here.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    183

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CBR News View Post
    In "Nova" #18, Gerry Duggan and David Baldeon send Sam Alexander to the moon, where the fledgling Nova finds himself drawn into the "Original Sin" event.


    Full review here.
    I loved it, and I also think that this issue explains (or starts to) a whole lot of things that older Nova fans have complained about.

  3. #3
    Powered By Gravity
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    96

    Default

    I really enjoy Sam (the one true Nova ) and this story they have put together for him. This was another solid issue.

  4. #4

    Default

    Sam is growing as a character (every issue, generally, we see him develop a little more and this Watcher stuff is really solid) and while I'd love to see a 'big brother' like role for Rich, the MU is more than big enough for both them and people need to stop wanting one cancelled so the other can succeed because it just isolates fans either way.

    As I've said from the start, let's have them both!
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

  5. #5
    Senior Member Trevel8182's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Earth-8182
    Posts
    895

    Default

    Maybe they'll explain this in the next issue but I don't see how Jessie Alexander thinks he's going to get away with this crime. Through the Nova Force he and the guy he just killed are always connected to the Worldmind and this is pre-annihilated Xandar so the Worldmind is still very much active or maybe they won't, ignoring continuity seems to be this books strong suit some times.

  6. #6

    Default

    I really wish the editorial team would try a little harder on this series. That statue of helmets with various ranks was killing me. I am glad we are seeing some background into the Black Novas finally.

  7. #7

    Default

    Hmmm! Original Sin issue, the young Jesse looks a bit like Richard Rider and is wearing Rich's uniform style - the three star bursts on the front and the large star burst on the back. And the preview for Guardians of the Galaxy Original Sin shows Rich and Starlord fighting Thanos, and focuses on the cosmic cube in Starlords hand. As someone else mentioned (probably several people) Sam and Jesse may just be fractions of Richard Rider.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    748

    Default

    I'm wondering how many of those Black Nova helmets are around and more importantly why were they made?

    If they aren't powered by the Worldmind (and they kinda can't) who benefits from having a squadron of off the books Novas acting outside Xandar authority?

  9. #9
    Senior Member THANOSRULES's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    475

    Default

    The black Nova force, whatever it turns out to be was a cool concept..but the execution has been so bad until Duggan..its poor scripting to be getting to this after so long...

  10. #10
    Junior Member vonfaustus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    22

    Default

    I felt this was another great issue.

    Watching how Sam deals with death in both honoring fallen NOVAs to fleeing in terror after seeing the Watcher dead was well done. The Original Sin tie-in actually worked out really well in Sams case because he had already developed a friendly relationship with The Watcher. So for Sam to see his friend dead probably had more of an impact on him than any other Marvel character to me.

    Also seeing how he felt standing next to "giants" such as Thor, Spiderman, Daredevil and Thing was really well written and the humorous parts of how he kept accidentally dropping Mindless Ones on Thing had me laughing.

    Overall it was another great issue. I also enjoyed the art even though Paco Medina is no longer on art duties.
    Last edited by vonfaustus; 06-26-2014 at 02:18 PM.

  11. #11
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Diamond Bar, CA
    Posts
    1,670

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vonfaustus View Post

    Also seeing how he felt standing next to "giants" such as Thor, Spiderman, Daredevil and Thing was really well written and the humorous parts of how he kept accidentally dropping Mindless Ones on Thing had me laughing.
    It really was fun as hell.
    Hopefully we see more interactions with Sam and the Avengers.

    His talk with Tony was frank but hilarious.

  12. #12
    Senior Member sifighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    930

    Default

    I have to say I like how Duggan starts the issue out with so much fun and hope and then slowly crushes Sam as the event of Original Sin really dawn on him. I felt so bad for him as this story went on, either with the death of his friend Uatu or the dark secret of his father. Thankfully the levity that Duggan introduces within this as well with all the jokes and the action makes sure that the issue isn't to sad or two serious.

    I'm really glad that Duggan has greatly improve this series, and has made this series last a lot longer then I honestly expected it to (not because it was terrible, because I've liked this series since the beginning but because it was a new character replacing an old one with three creative team changes).
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

  13. #13
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Diamond Bar, CA
    Posts
    1,670

    Default

    So it's pretty cool that Sam is being welcomed by the great superhero community and even Beta Ray Bill (AND COSMO!!!)

    Wonder when he's gonna bump into Star Lord and the rest of the GotG, they'll probably give him some encouraging words.
    You know, since I they aren't jerks to up and coming superheroes who are trying their hardest to prove their worth.

    I mean, it would be PRETTY out of character for them to be dicks to a kid... eh, what do I know.

  14. #14
    Senior Member sifighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    930

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alvarez View Post
    So it's pretty cool that Sam is being welcomed by the great superhero community and even Beta Ray Bill (AND COSMO!!!)

    Wonder when he's gonna bump into Star Lord and the rest of the GotG, they'll probably give him some encouraging words.
    You know, since I they aren't jerks to up and coming superheroes who are trying their hardest to prove their worth.

    I mean, it would be PRETTY out of character for them to be dicks to a kid... eh, what do I know.
    Rocket and Gamora weren't too nice to him in the first volume, especially Rocket, but he did gain their respect.

    I'm also glad that Sam can now show up at the big events and everyone knows who he is, it's pretty cool. I also can't wait for him to hang out with Cosmo again.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

  15. #15
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Diamond Bar, CA
    Posts
    1,670

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Rocket and Gamora weren't too nice to him in the first volume, especially Rocket, but he did gain their respect.

    I'm also glad that Sam can now show up at the big events and everyone knows who he is, it's pretty cool. I also can't wait for him to hang out with Cosmo again.
    Rocket almost blew him up. Lol.
    But yeah, they soon came to respect him... as most heroes have.

    Reminds me of Kyle Rayners early days. Awesome.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •