Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quote Originally Posted by superheroes for hire View Post
    This is such a transparent attempt to boost sales numbers. If the intent was purely to get disinterested readers back into certain titles, they would have kept normal Marvel branding. But by using the iconic "Timely" name and Cap's new shield logo, Marvel is betting on collectors and speculators grabbing these cheap issues for their novelty. And oh by the way, DC Rebirth is coincidentally starting that month! Every extra issue that Marvel pumps out that month will balance out what is sure to be one of DC's best months in some time. And if Marvel can convince even a small number of people to buy more Timely issues than Rebirth issues, it's a win for them. Don't be deceived. This is just another sales gimmick by Marvel, meant to flood the comic book store shelves and inflate monthly sales.
    Every comic released is an attempt to fill shelves and inflate sales numbers. They are publicly owned and owe their share holders maximum profit, if they are not trying to sell comics, they are not doing their jobs. If you have competition, you counter it with your own plan. That's the way business works, and comics is a business whatever fans might think. Rebirth is DC's attempt to flood shelves with bi-weekly releases and inflate monthly sales, So what. That's what publishers do-it's their job. Variants are transparent attempts to flood shelves and boost sales. $1 DC Essentials or Image Firsts or Valiant intro issues or Marvel True Believers are all transparent attempts at flooding shelves and inflating monthly sales. Events are transparent attempts to flood shelves and inflate sales. Again so what-that's the way the comic business is run these days. As long as both Marvel and DC are trying to be the biggest fish in the small pond of the direct market, that's all they can do because there is a low ceiling for sales in the direct market. If these Timely books are released to a broader market and reach a wider audience they might be able to raise that ceiling a bit.

Both Marvel and DC need to find ways to make the pie bigger rather than trying to reslice the existing pie. If handled right, these could manage that, if only released to the direct market, then it is another futile attempt to shift marketshare within the existing market, which is a zero sum game with no winner for either Marvel or DC.

-M

Seems strange you wouldn't use a Timely Comics brand to promote Marvel's Golden Age and pseudo Golden Age characters. An Earth-2, if you will.
    Last edited by MrHashasheen; 02-28-2016 at 05:32 PM.

This could have been great if they would have re launched Captain America as Steve Rogers and new ongoing series for Namor, Human Torch, and a new Invaders series. New characters under the Timely Comics banner doesn't makes much sense.

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    I think this could be a great idea if they can get these carried outside traditional comic shops and outside the purview of Diamond's distribution. If these were on magazine stands at supermarkets next to the Ultimate Marvel magazine and with the Archie Digests sold there, if there were at the registers as an impulse buy at Wal*Mart, K-Mart and other big discount retailers, stocked next to the Marvel DVD/Blu-Rays in such stores, in toy stores like Toy R Us near the action figures, or near Marvel video games at places like Game Stop, you get get a lot of people sampling as an impulse buy and feel they are getting value for their money. If however, it os only distributed byDimaond and only to traditional comic shops, it will not do well.

The $4 price tag, for 22 pages of a partial story is one of the biggest obstacles for selling Marvel print products to a mass audience who readily consumes their characters in other media. It doesn't fit with the way people buy and consume entertainment storytelling in this day and age. It's not the panels on pages of narrative sequence that is the comic medium that throw people (comic format entertainment sells well for other products) but the fact people must pay a lot of money for relative small amount of product and a fragment of a story that takes way too long to tell in an instant gratification consumer market. The monthly pamphlet comic book is a dinosaur outside the hardcore niche consumer market of the comic shop, and even destination shops for niche products (like comic shops are) are being phased out in other areas of commerce to be replaced by one-stop convenience stores where people can get everything they want at (if they don't shop online or stream entertainment content instead of own it to begin with).

A product like this, offering a more substantial chunk of the story at a better price for impulse purchasing could have success in overcoming some of the obstacles that stand in the way of sales growth in a mass market consumer base. As a means of expanding the potential customer base in new venues-it has potential, as a means of shifting marketshare and reading/buying habits among the hardcore comic consumer who frequents a comic shop or Comixology, not so much.

If I see these for sale in places outside a comic shop, I might pick up a few to try and encourage those businesses to continue to carry those types of products, otherwise I'll just wait for them to hit Marvel Unlimited.

-M
    I doubt many would be sold if offered outside traditional comic shops. Look at Barnes & Noble. People go in there and just sit around and read the books without paying for them, just like a library.

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    Every comic released is an attempt to fill shelves and inflate sales numbers.

Both Marvel and DC need to find ways to make the pie bigger rather than trying to reslice the existing pie. If handled right, these could manage that, if only released to the direct market, then it is another futile attempt to shift marketshare within the existing market, which is a zero sum game with no winner for either Marvel or DC.

-M
    I didn't mean to imply that comic companies shouldn't push their product to earn the most money they can. It's definitely the way the industry works. What I take offense to is the glaring attempt to inflate their market share for the month of June with collector fodder, specifically in an attempt to reduce the unit sales percentage bump that DC will have in June. Competition is great for the industry. It keeps everyone at the top of their game. Warfare between the companies is a net loss for everyone. Marvel is simply trying to have more of the pie with this move. Must potential readers already sampled these series with the #1 and 2's.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonDog View Post
    I doubt many would be sold if offered outside traditional comic shops. Look at Barnes & Noble. People go in there and just sit around and read the books without paying for them, just like a library.
    I don't know, a couple of years back the $5 trades that Marvel released as a Wal*Mart exclusive to be shelved and sold with Amazing Spider-Man when it hit DVD sold really well. There was Spider-Man Big Time, GoTG by Bendis, Avengers by Bendis and Romita Jr. and Brubaker Cap collections each collecting 4-7 issues for $5 with digital redemption codes available only at Wal*Mart and the handful of Wal*Marts here sold out there shipments within 2 weeks.

These Timely books are priced right for impulse buys something trades and regular monthly comics are not), if marketed and put in places where impulse purchases are made (check out racks at super-markets, Wal*Mart with the DVD/video games featuring Marvel characters, in the toy aisle ext to the Marvel action figures, etc.) they could do quite well.

Barnes and Noble itself is a destination product store too, not much better than a comic shop. Comixology is a destination retailer as well. If you are not looking comics you don't go to a comic shop or Comixology. If you are not looking for reading material, you don't go to a B&N, but a lot of people go to Wal*Mart and grocery stores and use the check outs, and those places put a lot of cheap reading material (gossip mags, entertainment mags, Archie Digests, popular paperback bestsellers, kids book featuring Marvel and DC characters, etc. at the check outs where people add things at the last minute to kill time in line, to appease curiosity, to get their kids something they like because they behaved or to get them to behave while in line, etc. etc.

If I were Marvel and I were putting these out there for general audiences, I would go a step further and add some kind of offer for a free month of Marvel Unlimited with it to really give new folks a chance to get into reading stuff and hook them for a monthly or yearly sub, kind of like a first hit free kind of deal-as streaming/subscription services for entertainment content is a model modern consumers are much more familiar with and much more comfortable with and could result in more subscriptions (which benefit Marvel more because revenue is direct to them not divided among several middle men-remember Marvel only gets $1 on that $4 comic,-Diamond buys it form Marvel for about $1, sells it to the retailer for about $2 and the retailer sells it to the end customer for $4-Comixology gets a cut of all digital copies too. Unlimited cuts out a lot of middlemen in the revenue stream for Marvel).

Shifting marketshare within the direct market is rearranging deck chairs. Dollars are increasing in small amounts each year, but so are cover prices, which means actual growth of units sold is negligible. They are moving less units at higher prices to achieve the dollar growth shown, and minimum order thresholds for variants and other incentives means that lots of units ordered are not reaching end customers, so those unit numbers are misleading showing small growth when that is not reflected in actual sales to end customers. They need to find ways to expand their actual customer base and that means offering products in formats and at prices that can succeed in a mass market, not the niche market that the monthly direct market comic has become. These $3 Timely collections could be a babystep in that direction, but not if they are aimed at the pre-existing hardcore habitual customer base that already buys from the direct market or Comixology. Sales to those customers likely means the dollars are shifted from other products, not a gain of extra revenue, which makes it a zero sum gain. For someone to win, someone else has to lose sales, and that's bad for everyone involved.

-M

Mutant bat on terrigen Fuzzy Barbarian's Avatar

So it's just a anme, they're not actually doing anything to revive the Golden Age stuff or anything? How... half-assed. Then again, I know next to nothing about Marvel's Golden Age, so I don't really care... but I think that may be an indicator of how much they care about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikael View Post
    I'm sure this has NOTHING to do with DC Rebirth.
    It would be quite... TIMELY
    There's a fine line between not listening and not caring. I like to think that I walk that line every day of my life.

My babies: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Cassandra Cain, Bucky Barnes, Jamie Madrox, Cyclops, Booster Gold, Kate Bishop, Daredevil, Thor, Magik, Aquaman, Kyle Rayner, Stargirl, Batwoman, Jay Garrick

..........why the brand if there's no golden age characters.............
    What we used to call life has very little worth these days. Welcome to the very edge.
    --Prince Namor (Earth-616)

Quote Originally Posted by MrHashasheen View Post
    Seems strange you wouldn't use a Timely Comics brand to promote Marvel's Golden Age and pseudo Golden Age characters. An Earth-2, if you will.
    DC's earth 2 is quite interesting..although i've only followed the condensed version on comicstorian's youtube channel
    What we used to call life has very little worth these days. Welcome to the very edge.
    --Prince Namor (Earth-616)