Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Bob Kane to Receive Posthumous Star on Hollywood Walk of Fame

"Batman" co-creator Bob Kane, who passed away in 1998, will receive a posthumous star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in 2015.

Full article here.

There is no justice...
    Amy: Have you ever run away from something because you were scared, or not ready, or just... just because you could?
    The Doctor: Once. A long time ago.
    Amy: What happened?
    The Doctor: [gestures to himself] Hello!

Moderator / Bounty Hunter ABH-1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    There is no justice...
    According to Mental Floss, in order to receive a Walk of Fame star, an individual must be nominated and an application sent in to the selection committee. While an application is only good for two attempts, it is possible for celebrities to reapply as many times as desired. Popularity, tourism draw, charitable contributions and awards are all criteria for selection -- though the fee to actually get a star is $30,000. That fee is usually sponsored by an outside party -- fan clubs, studios or other companies with a vested interest in a celebrity's continued success.
    It was basically paid for.

But I know what you mean, and I look forward to the photos people take of the Star, with Bill Finger's name, somehow added in there.

I can't believe they are really doing this, nobody along the way told thought this was a bad idea? I hope some taggers X his name out and write bill finger

Presumably the star is for Bill Finger but it's being printed with Bob Kane's name on it.

Moderator / Bounty Hunter ABH-1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JokersNuts View Post
    I can't believe they are really doing this, nobody along the way told thought this was a bad idea? I hope some taggers X his name out and write bill finger
    Yeah, I don't know who nominated Kane, but I have to wonder if they even considered the possible backlash.

Most people don't know who Bob Kane even is... but those that do, typically also know Bill Finger's name...

after they put it on the walk of fame, somebody paint "and Bill Finger" under Bob Kane's name.

So when does Bill Finger get his? Seriously, this is just, arrgh.

Once again Batman's REAL CREATOR gets no credit due.

I hope many people complain about this injustice.

This is a star for Batman more than anything else, but they don't give stars to fictional characters and Kane is the only one DC are legally able to credit. The people at DC are ultimately fair and compassionate like anyone else, I'm sure they'd acknowledge Finger legally if they could but unfortunately it's not that simple. Lousy situation but that's how it happens.

What would be awesome is if a cafe owner could build a giant typewriter across the road or something to celebrate the early days of Batman comics and then a plaque recognising Bill Finger. A tourist draw and private property so they can say whatever they want, then set up a bunch of Batman memorabilia inside with donations from WB.

Just asking because I'm not sure, did Bob Kane come up with any major part of Batman? I know Finger pretty much came up most of the aspects of Batman that we all know and love today. Was he a ghostwriter? If so, it's a pity
    Marvel: Amazing Spider-Man, Magneto, Hawkeye, Daredevil
    DC: Batman, Batman External, Justice League, Superman, Grayson

Quote Originally Posted by ABH-1979 View Post
    Yeah, I don't know who nominated Kane, but I have to wonder if they even considered the possible backlash.

Most people don't know who Bob Kane even is... but those that do, typically also know Bill Finger's name...
    I would disagree. Even amongst our circle, the people who know about Finger is a lot less than those that know about Bob Kane because he is commonly referred to and credited as the creator of Batman in movies and cartoons and the comics books as the sole creator of Batman. You have to be a very curious fan to google Bob Kane and know the grisly details of what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    Just asking because I'm not sure, did Bob Kane come up with any major part of Batman? I know Finger pretty much came up most of the aspects of Batman that we all know and love today. Was he a ghostwriter? If so, it's a pity
    A lot of people mistakenly credit Bob Kane with drawing a lot of Batman's early adventures with Robinson and Finger but Kane didn't even do that, what he did draw he traced or he used ghost artists! He did the absolute bar minimum in the creation of this character, he's like Cartman in that Fishdicks episode of South Park.

Sheldon Muldoff, who spent years secretly (or not so secretly) ghost drawing for Kane, had his own stories about Kane and their relationship.

Muldoff told the audience that while working for Kane, he would frequently end up staying late at the Kane household and staying for dinner with his family. Muldoff said that Kane was treated like a king by his family. While he was treated to a small piece of hamburger, Kane ate steak.

One night Muldoff finally came out and asked Kane to split his steak with him.

"Bob laughed and said, 'That's very funny,' and that's all it meant to him."

Kane would later ask Muldoff to work on an ongoing project with him, saying that they would split the $150 payments in half. Muldoff worked for $75 until one night during a dinner with Kane's family, Kane's wife mentioned that the actual payments they were receiving were $300. Kane's only response to being caught cheating was to tell his wife that she had a big mouth. Kane did pay Muldoff the money he was owed and made up with him.

Years later, Kane invited Muldoff to have lunch with him. When they had finished eating, Kane explained that he had forgotten his wallet. Muldoff said that he had money in his car and told Kane to wait at the table while he went to get it.

"That was the last time I ever saw him."
    Last edited by Trevel8182; 06-19-2014 at 08:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevel8182 View Post
    Muldoff told the audience that while working for Kane, he would frequently end up staying late at the Kane household and staying for dinner with his family. Muldoff said that Kane was treated like a king by his family. While he was treated to a small piece of hamburger, Kane ate steak.

One night Muldoff finally came out and asked Kane to split his steak with him.

"Bob laughed and said, 'That's very funny,' and that's all it meant to him."
    That is pretty much The Bob Kane Story in a nutshell.
    The truth is there are infinite worlds out there and every year dozens more spring to life.
    The scientific term used to describe this state is "fictional".--Rip Hunter

Anyone not man enough to rescue a kitten from a tree might as well pack up his tights and leave town.--Jay Garrick

Once again, 90% of the arguments people want to have about comics can be solved by the knowledge that it ainít a f----ní documentary.--Chris Sims

Bob Kane is the TRUE father of Bat-Jerk.