Page 1 of 36 1234511 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member TooFlyToFail's Avatar

Default Why so people complain about the suits in Fox movies, but want the X-Men part of the MCU?

The MCU does the same stuff; giving heroes practical suits. They're just more colorful, I guess.

When it comes to me every superhero would wear suits like the FOX-Men. I prefer realistic, practical and tactical outfits and I will never understand the appeal of brightly-colored spandex to be honest.
    Love talking about things you love and enjoy? So do I. Check out these threads for doing that.

X-23: http://community.comicbookresources....ivory-to-steel
    Star Wars: http://community.comicbookresources....ce-be-with-you
    Lazarus: http://community.comicbookresources....cussion-thread

Yeah I don't get it either. Why would Wolverine ever wear his suit from the comics in real life? I mean I could see it for an X-Force movie, but that's it really.

It's like people for get that these costumes weren't created for real life. Singer's X-Men wear black leather, and body armor, because it's practical.

NTW looked awesome, but even she covered it up....because it looks odd in real life.

I don't mind if they go with more comic accurate suits, but the complaints about them just sound petty, a lot of the time. People will actually use that as a reason why Singer's X-Men movies "suck".

Quote Originally Posted by TooFlyToFail View Post
    Yeah I don't get it either. Why would Wolverine ever wear his suit from the comics in real life? I mean I could see it for an X-Force movie, but that's it really.

It's like people for get that these costumes weren't created for real life. Singer's X-Men wear black leather, and body armor, because it's practical.

NTW looked awesome, but even she covered it up....because it looks odd in real life.

I don't mind if they go with more comic accurate suits, but the complaints about them just sound petty, a lot of the time. People will actually use that as a reason why Singer's X-Men movies "suck".
    It's incredibly tricky to make it work and look good. For example there's really NO version of the Batsuit that doesn't just look ridiculous in real life. The ONLY place I've ever seen it work is in poor lighting where you can't clearly make out the details. The second you put Batman in good lighting he just looks like a grown man dressed up like a bat, and is just as silly as that sounds.

Wolverine's costume would have the same problem, and that's EXACTLY why they eliminated the cowl in the first movie to begin with. They tried several variations, but could never come up with something that didn't just look stupid IRL. And they also made the right call by toning down his hairstyle, because if they tried to give him comics-accurate hair in the movies what you'd end up with is this:

It's funny you don't hear NEARLY the same complaints about Hawkeye's look in the MCU that you do about the X-Men.
    Still hoping for that Helix Reunion...

Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Pull List
    AN Wolverine Deadpool

Personally I'm not a fan of how FOX does the costumes because it, in part, just feels like they're ashamed of the fact that they're making a superhero movie. I mean, sure practical can be nice but at the same time, it's a superhero movie and seeing a hero realized accurately is a big part of the fun. Besides, some of the designs with some of the characters in the MCU were based off of the Ultimate Universe which gave some great redesigns that were both practical in appearance and still great to look at as a hero. Honestly, I'd take the Ultimate X-Men looks over anything that FOX has given us.

Quote Originally Posted by Galerion View Post
    When it comes to me every superhero would wear suits like the FOX-Men. I prefer realistic, practical and tactical outfits and I will never understand the appeal of brightly-colored spandex to be honest.
    While I don't think costumes effect the overall quality of a movie, I do like the costume choices to reflect the comics when possible. For example I can't imagine Wolverine's yellow and blue costume ever working on camera and he's perfectly fine without it. However a character like Spider-Man without his red and blue suit would feel like a definite loss.

Really some characters, like Deadpool, have costumes that translate far easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    Personally I'm not a fan of how FOX does the costumes because it, in part, just feels like they're ashamed of the fact that they're making a superhero movie. I mean, sure practical can be nice but at the same time, it's a superhero movie and seeing a hero realized accurately is a big part of the fun. Besides, some of the designs with some of the characters in the MCU were based off of the Ultimate Universe which gave some great redesigns that were both practical in appearance and still great to look at as a hero. Honestly, I'd take the Ultimate X-Men looks over anything that FOX has given us.
    But the Ultimate X-Men either wore regular clothes, or black leather outfits with some yellow stripes. Hardly any different.

It may be a superhero movie, but it's one bases in real life, and so many X-Men costumes would come off as very lame in live action to casual audiences.

I never wanted to see Hugh Jackman in yellow spandex). Better black uniforms (like X-Force) or jacket, T-shirt and jeans.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Fox's X movies went off the rails a long time ago, and the two good ones we got were more Wolverine movies than X-Men.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Excellent thread.
    Thank you adding some practicality and logic to what seems to be a prevailing theme in anti-fox fan's gripes.

Can anyone inform me why leather? I don't think they're anymore practical. Armored with stronger material makes the most sense.
    Cyclops was right

Quote Originally Posted by TooFlyToFail View Post
    The MCU does the same stuff; giving heroes practical suits. They're just more colorful, I guess.
    Initially, I wanted the X-Men as part of the MCU because I wanted Marvel comics to stop picking apart all the awesome X-Men characters and placing them on shitty Avengers teams. I thought if the X-Men were fully owned by Marvel/Disney, they'd start letting the X-Men be their own thing and hopefully make the movies a little more upbeat and entertaining than the well-made, but overly serious movies Fox has made so far. I also felt that Marvel Studios would make better X-Men movies, given X-Men: The Last Stand and X-Men Origins: Wolverine.

My mentality kind of changed after watching Iron Man 3. While I think Iron Man 3 is a really well made movie, it was a little too flippant, IMO. There were scenes that should have carried a little more weight than it did. I really hated the Mandarin twist, too.

So, while I think Marvel Studios definitely cares about their property a lot more than Fox does and wants to make the best possible movies, they do have their missteps.

I still do think that Marvel Studios makes better looking costumes than Fox has, thus far. All three Iron Man movies have outrageous armours and I think that's awesome. Captain America wore a very colourful costume and is still wearing pretty colourful outfits, despite them adding elements of "practicality". Up until Deadpool, I don't think that Fox gave enough of a shit to make a fully CGI character as awesome as how the Hulk was in all the Avengers movies.

As an aside, with a couple of scenes, Guardians of the Galaxy had more cosmic awesomeness than three Fantastic Four movies, combined.

I think Marvel Studios embraces a lot of the outlandish and absurd nature of comics than any other studios making comic book movies now. I think, at least visually, they'd make a better X-Men movie. I do appreciate what Bryan Singer has brought to the X-Men. I think he's added a foundation of seriousness and respect that comic book movies were lacking for a long time, but even Singer is embracing some of the more out-there possibilities with X-Men: Apocalypse.

I would like the X-Men to remain with Fox, despite how much I think the comics are suffering because of it. I can always re-visit better old X-Men comics, but I think with a new visionaire at the helm for future X-Men movies, we might get something different that also happens to be well made.
    Previously: Deep_Sleeper. Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    Love the works of comic book artists - Stuart Immonen, Olivier Coipel, Kev Walker, Valerio Schiti, Esad Ribic, Jerome Opena and so many more great comic book artists

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    I think you are confusing FOX with DC.

Besides, given the disaster of Batman and Robin 3 years before, and that people liked Blade two years before.

Quote Originally Posted by ciscostudent561 View Post
    Excellent thread.
    Thank you adding some practicality and logic to what seems to be a prevailing theme in anti-fox fan's gripes.

Can anyone inform me why leather? I don't think they're anymore practical. Armored with stronger material makes the most sense.
    Well, leather it's a decent armor if you are not dealing with high speed proyectiles.

For me, I find the X-Men very boring to look at without their uniforms. I realize in movies it would be difficult to pull off all their uniforms, but some changes could be made without going for the full military-styling that the X-Men wear in the movies. When I look at pictures of the Fox X-Men, NOTHING about how they look says "superheroes" to me. Soldiers perhaps, but not superheroes. I could sacrifice Wolverine's cowl in the movies, but I dont see how his more recent uniform he wore in the comics couldn't work. The costumes in the movies wouldn't need to be as "bright" as they are in the comics. Some colors could be darkened to make it less jarring. But when I saw how bland the X-Men looked in their first movie, it sickened me. Not one of them looked accurate (save for Xavier) or interesting. And then the fact that Marvel tried to switch the X-Men in the comics to the black leather look to more closely match the movies made me even more bitter towards what Fox turned them into. To me, the X-Men's appearance is ABSOLUTELY CRITICAL to how much I am interested in them. It was their mindblowing Jim Lee uniforms that finally made me say "Wow!!" and demanded me to start reading about them and be brought into their world. But as with any franchise I like, if I don't like what my eyes are seeing, then I have very little interest to want to read about or watch it.

There were many other elements about Fox's handling of the X-Men that I also hated (like poor disgraced Rogue) but when I first saw those boring black uniforms, that was 50% of my interest and hope down the toilet from the very start. Over time I have come to tolerate the X-Men movies for what they are: a loosely-based, slightly better alternative than having no X-Men movies at all. And sadly, since Marvel no longer uses good uniforms for the X-Men in their comics, I realize even if Marvel did acquire the rights back, more than likely they would make the X-Men wear their "nothing-special-to-see-here" modern uniforms instead. But those would still be somewhat better than the Fox versions. Hell, about the only reason I am wanting to see "X-Men: Apocalypse" is because they are offering their first decent looking, recognizable interpretation of an X-Man in Psylocke.
    Some bands I love: Katatonia, Tool, Flaw, Within Temptation, Breaking Benjamin, Evergrey, The Panic Division, Bush, The Birthday Massacre, Silverchair ('94-'01), Metallica, Lacuna Coil, Red, Autumn, A Perfect Circle, Starset, This Misery Garden, Evanescence, Dead Letter Circus, Pallbearer, The Foreshadowing and tons more!

I would be happy enough with black and yellow suits with some X symbols and stuff. First Class costumes were fine. I still wanted the X-Men to be part of the MCU but because I wanted to see them in the same universe interacting with other heroes.

Why not just use civilian clothing that match the characters comic personality? It's not like the "X-Men" in these movies are getting down and dirty anyway(save for a few). Surely Cyclops could still function wearing a preppy letterman jacket, right?