Page 26 of 36 FirstFirst ... 16222324252627282930 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ChildOfTheAtom View Post
    Because nobody goes to an X-MEN movie to see Mystique
    I would. She's one of my favourite Marvel characters.

And a lot of people may not care about Mystique, but they will go see an X-Men movie to watch Jennifer Lawrence.
    So this Zealot comes to my door, all glazed eyes and clean reproductive organs, asking me if I ever think about God. So I tell him I killed God. I tracked God down like a rabid dog, hacked off his legs with a hedge trimmer, and boiled off his corpse in an acid bath. So he pulls an alternating-current taser on me and tells me that only the Official Serbian Church of Tesla can save my polyphase intrinsic electric field, known to non-engineers as "the soul". So I hit him. What would you do?

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post

Blaaaaaaaaand.
    I would go with campy or unintentionally hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by Dboi2001 View Post
    Why? Why does adding colors make it infinitely more interesting?

Remember the Ultimates?
    Attachment 49549

Or Grant Morrison's New X Men? They look great without being overly colorful. I like colors but black isn't bad. Hell what about Keaton Batman? His suit is all black. And don't say it's fine because Batman because Batman almost always wears gray and black /blue not all black
    I agree.
    On the other hand, the movie suits were terrible. Black leather doesn't have to be bad, but in this case it was.
    Mind you, I do firmly believe that black leather was the right call for that film at that point in time, it's just that their costume designer really dropped the ball on what to do with that black leather.
    Last edited by Carabas; 05-18-2017 at 01:59 PM.
    So this Zealot comes to my door, all glazed eyes and clean reproductive organs, asking me if I ever think about God. So I tell him I killed God. I tracked God down like a rabid dog, hacked off his legs with a hedge trimmer, and boiled off his corpse in an acid bath. So he pulls an alternating-current taser on me and tells me that only the Official Serbian Church of Tesla can save my polyphase intrinsic electric field, known to non-engineers as "the soul". So I hit him. What would you do?

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    I agree.
    On the other hand, the movie suits were terrible. Black leather doesn't have to be bad, but in this case it was.
    Mind you, I do firmly believe that black leather was the right call for that film at that point in time, it's just that their costume designer really dropped the ball on what to do with that black leather.
    I can get with this.

The black costumes definitely aren't the highest quality that could be done with all black. They are definitely a product of their time. The black costumes in X-Men: Days Of Future Past and X-Men: Apocalypse still look good.

I don't think the original black costumes are good or bad. They just are.

they didn't really have a lot to work with going into these movies...sure they could've added some color...but you have to remember the first x-men movie came out in 2000...70s, 80s and 90's x-men costumes were (and still are) RIDICULOUS...spandex, ridiculous looking shoulder pads, one piece bathing suits, speedos, underwear on the outside, pirate boots, etc...that shit doesn't work on real people...you can't put real people in costumes like that and have them be taken seriously...it was hard to take it seriously in the comics back then...if they put them in shit like that the movie would've been a joke...so I can hardly blame them for going the route they did...look what they had for reference...they wanted their characters to be taken more seriously and not look like total jokes...so they went with black...what's more serious than black...and they stuck with it...like I said, they could've had more color, sure, but their decision is completely understandable based on what they had for reference...all the costumes in the comics before that first movie was made were just as ridiculous then as they are right now...(yeah, I'm looking at you Guggenheim)

so yeah, the costumes in the movies may be lacking in color but...they beat colorful costumes with underwear on the outside and pirate boots and speedos and one piece bathing suits everyday of the week

Mutatis Mutandis ChildOfTheAtom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ColossusFan View Post
    .70s, 80s and 90's x-men costumes were (and still are) RIDICULOUS...spandex, ridiculous looking shoulder pads, one piece bathing suits, speedos, underwear on the outside, pirate boots, etc...that shit doesn't work on real people...you can't put real people in costumes like that and have them be taken seriously...it was hard to take it seriously in the comics back then...if they put them in shit like that the movie would've been a joke...

so yeah, the costumes in the movies may be lacking in color but...they beat colorful costumes with underwear on the outside and pirate boots and speedos and one piece bathing suits everyday of the week

I call bullshit. If this can look great so can X-MEN

Last edited by ChildOfTheAtom; 05-18-2017 at 02:31 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ColossusFan View Post
    they didn't really have a lot to work with going into these movies...sure they could've added some color...but you have to remember the first x-men movie came out in 2000...70s, 80s and 90's x-men costumes were (and still are) RIDICULOUS...spandex, ridiculous looking shoulder pads, one piece bathing suits, speedos, underwear on the outside, pirate boots, etc...that shit doesn't work on real people...you can't put real people in costumes like that and have them be taken seriously...it was hard to take it seriously in the comics back then...if they put them in shit like that the movie would've been a joke...so I can hardly blame them for going the route they did...look what they had for reference...they wanted their characters to be taken more seriously and not look like total jokes...so they went with black...what's more serious than black...and they stuck with it...like I said, they could've had more color, sure, but their decision is completely understandable based on what they had for reference...all the costumes in the comics before that first movie was made were just as ridiculous then as they are right now...(yeah, I'm looking at you Guggenheim)

Few little tweaks and they would be great.
    Deadpool? Marvel? Dc? They have great costumes.
    so they went with black...what's more serious than black...
    When everything is black ?
    then this is not serious ...
    we shouldn't be ashamed that we like X-men. Cosplayers today still prefer TAS uniforms because they can be great.
    Favorite Comics:
    Uncanny Avengers vol 3, All New Wolverine, Deadpool, Captain America Steve Rogers Vision

Quote Originally Posted by Xelossik View Post
    Cosplayers today still prefer TAS uniforms because they can be great.
    Cosplayers also often gather in overcrowded and overheated convention halls where spandex may be a better option than lots of black leather.

I... don't see how that looks great. It's like somebody put a goddamn Greg Horn cover into a movie.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dboi2001 View Post
    Same basic design? There are subtle differences as I mentioned

I just don't see why they have to be multi colored or just anything but black
    Uh..."same basic design" is a classification that can allow for "subtle differences"...

Astonishing Member

Cosplayers also often gather in overcrowded and overheated convention halls where spandex may be a better option than lots of black leather.
    maybe but this look is still more iconic.
    Favorite Comics:
    Uncanny Avengers vol 3, All New Wolverine, Deadpool, Captain America Steve Rogers Vision

call bullshit all you want...its full body...that doesn't have underwear on the outside..and I'm guessing she's not wearing pirate boots either...I don't know much about Aquaman shit so I don't know if that's a take on her classic costume or not..if it is I guess she's just got a better classic costume...I don't know?...but it's definitely not a "classic" X-men costume...with the exception of a handful, "classic" X-men costumes are shit...

Could they have better, more colorful costumes in the movies now? sure...I said as much in my post...take some core concepts make them more modern? sure....but directly adapting "classic" X-men costumes would look ridiculous...and that's all they really had to go on in 2000 (it was also 2000, comic book movies and the costumes in them have progressed a lot since then)..but I can't blame them for going the route they did

and just looking at the right side of the picture from The Last Stand that was posted earlier in this thread..I can imagine nothing more ridiculous than Colossus in a women's one piece bathing suit and Kitty with her underwear on the outside of her costume

BANNED

I think X-Men being in their own universe is better. I mean, evolution and as result of it mutation and all are pretty atheist and when you have those atheist concepts, Thor flying over you is pretty much raining on your parade... lol

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Batarang View Post
    I think X-Men being in their own universe is better. I mean, evolution and as result of it mutation and all are pretty atheist and when you have those atheist concepts, Thor flying over you is pretty much raining on your parade... lol
    Oh sorry, i missread the headline of the thread. I thought it was a debate about whether X-men should be in the MCU or in their own universe.

I think The film costumes are ok, but putting everyone in black is kind of lazy too.

And Mera's costume rocks ! it's the same costume in the comics and it looks decent what more can you ask for. So awesome.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelboy1974 View Post
    Why does everything have to be one extreme or another? No one is saying that the Xmen need to run around in spandex, but it would be nice if each Xman had a costume with ELEMENTS that pay homage to their comic counterparts. That's what has worked for the Avengers. We got a glimpse at the end of X Apocalypse and I loved that they had color.

As for Wolverine, it is very possible to design a costume that is realistic that doesn't look ridiculous. He doesn't need to wear a mask but if Batman can pull it off so can Logan. The costume can me made of thick tan neoprene with navy blue leather.

Don't tell me this isn't doable because it is. I love superheroes. I love characterization but part of the fun is also visual aesthetics.
    I'm a fan of the colorful costumes and agree with you 100%.

The costumes don't have to be right out of the comics, but a balance would be great these films are about fictional characters in a fictional world, there is no reason for everything to be completely realistic. That is how we get crap like "organic webshooters". LOL

I... don't see how that looks great. It's like somebody put a goddamn Greg Horn cover into a movie.
    Well, if you are trying to sell a movie about Aquaman, who is still remember like this by the general public:

and given that the DCEU doesnt have a good track record; you are going to need to use every trick in the book.
    You know, it's funny that DisMarvel keeps proving that "CYCLOPS WAS RIGHT"; even when he is dead.

Spectacular Member

I would. She's one of my favourite Marvel characters.

And a lot of people may not care about Mystique, but they will go see an X-Men movie to watch Jennifer Lawrence.
    Yeah, no. I like Jennifer Lawrence, but I sure won't go out of my way to see every movie she's in. Also, the reason people don't want Mystique in every X-Men movie is that she's never really even been a member of the team. She's a great villain, as is Magneto, but there are literally dozens of other X-Men bad guys that have never been n a movie. Let's use some of them and forget about Mystique and Mags already.