Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    DC Comics Historian

Default The Quinn Mallory Trope: (Will Pre-52 and Nu-52 Superman Merge?)

Is it possible that the idea behind New 52 Superman and Pre-52 Superman meeting is they have plans to somehow merge the two (And their Lois Lanes') in a similar fashion to how two separate versions of Quinn Mallory merged in season 4 of Sliders? You would think that it would be a way that the fans can have their cake and eat it too without the dangling plot thread of 2 Supermen running around. I think it would be a sacrifice Superman would make given where history is concerned.

What do you guys think?

It sounds so weird to me but I honestly wouldn't be shocked either. Maybe The Supermen will kinda be like the epicenters of their two Universes/Multiverses and once they merge everything around them gets merged characters/events Pre and Post.

That's not the only thing you'd have to merge. That means the entire history of the DCU would have to be changed to accommodate this new change. Everyone would remember their new history. There are pros and cons for doing this and I suppose they could but the rest of the DCU would have to have parts of their history re-written too. It also begs the question, will this put us back in the situation we had before New52? With some stories counting and some not? That was one of the biggest arguments for the reboot to begin with. Plus, I kind of like the current origin, the last thing I want is a "new" one. You'd also have to basically disavow the entire SM/WW run.

Veteran Member

I thought about this. Ultimately Superman and FlashSuperman are both fictional characters, and moreover, ultimately, you know, they're the same damn character. The Mainstream DCU Superman. It's not like either of them are a distinctive "Alt-Superman", like Calvin Ellis, et al. Not only are they the same guy, they're the same guy as the Siegel & Shuster 1939 guy, too. New 52 Supes is basically just like, "J.J. Abrams Captain Kirk". "Oh look he's younger, it's a reboot, all new, now watch as we cram 75 years of history and repeat old stories into a much more youthful, shorter span of time!"

So merging them is totally on the table as far as I'm concerned. And wouldn't even be the weirdest thing that has ever happened to Superman.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    That's not the only thing you'd have to merge. That means the entire history of the DCU would have to be changed to accommodate this new change. Everyone would remember their new history. There are pros and cons for doing this and I suppose they could but the rest of the DCU would have to have parts of their history re-written too. It also begs the question, will this put us back in the situation we had before New52? With some stories counting and some not? That was one of the biggest arguments for the reboot to begin with. Plus, I kind of like the current origin, the last thing I want is a "new" one. You'd also have to basically disavow the entire SM/WW run.
    You really don't have to get rid of anything that's happened in the New52 if you bring in a proper excuse.

If I was overseeing this a thought on how I'd handle it is treat them as avatars of the Mainstream conceptions that the fans know by name. Then just merge the two counterparts with both retaining knowledge of their respected histories and acting after that however the writers decide. Heck this can result in some overseer writing into their minds what that said overseer wants the Universe to be like incorporating the elements they want into the Universe and changing their histories with reality warping.

If Didio, Lee and Johns have any plans what so ever of keeping the DCU accessible for new readers (which might of course be akin to whipping a dead horse, but still), they'll avoid continuity nightmares liked a merged Superman, at least with what is supposed to be one of their flagship characters.
    As of now:
    All-Star Batman, Batman, Doom Patrol, The Flash, The Fix, The Flintstones, Green Valley, Hadrian's Wall, The Hellblazer, Moonshine, New Super-Man, Nightwing, Suicide Squad, Superman, 'Tec, Unfollow

Quote Originally Posted by theonetruebatman View Post
    Is it possible that the idea behind New 52 Superman and Pre-52 Superman meeting is they have plans to somehow merge the two (And their Lois Lanes') in a similar fashion to how two separate versions of Quinn Mallory merged in season 4 of Sliders? You would think that it would be a way that the fans can have their cake and eat it too without the dangling plot thread of 2 Supermen running around. I think it would be a sacrifice Superman would make given where history is concerned.

What do you guys think?
    I think that it's fine for characters to have lengthy, rich, and even complicated histories. But the core of the character should remain clear. If you set up a situation where, in order to explain Superman's essential characteristics (as opposed to the baggage that any character accumulates over time, which is different), you have to say, "well, first you need to understand, there were two Supermans from two different timelines, then there was this cosmic event and they merged...," then you're just setting yourself up for trouble.

So no.

Now, if you mean that Rebirth will include retcons or reboots such that the primary Superman character we wind up includes some characteristics we associate with one of those Supermans, and some that we associate with the other, well, that's always possible. But that's different than merging the two characters in any in-story way.

(Why do I write "Supermans" instead of "Supermen"? I don't know, it just looked right.)
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewFiftyForum View Post
    If Didio, Lee and Johns have any plans what so ever of keeping the DCU accessible for new readers (which might of course be akin to whipping a dead horse, but still), they'll avoid continuity nightmares liked a merged Superman, at least with what is supposed to be one of their flagship characters.
    agree with this. Also avoid the same character on same universe

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Bifrost View Post
    I think that it's fine for characters to have lengthy, rich, and even complicated histories. But the core of the character should remain clear. If you set up a situation where, in order to explain Superman's essential characteristics (as opposed to the baggage that any character accumulates over time, which is different), you have to say, "well, first you need to understand, there were two Supermans from two different timelines, then there was this cosmic event and they merged...," then you're just setting yourself up for trouble.

So no.

Now, if you mean that Rebirth will include retcons or reboots such that the primary Superman character we wind up includes some characteristics we associate with one of those Supermans, and some that we associate with the other, well, that's always possible. But that's different than merging the two characters in any in-story way.

(Why do I write "Supermans" instead of "Supermen"? I don't know, it just looked right.)
    this seems likely
    Last edited by Tayswift; 03-01-2016 at 07:33 PM.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I would be open to it as long as it's really weird. If it has to happen let it be bizarre as all hell!

Beyond that, I'd be much happier if Superpops went home and could still visit sometimes for a backyard BBQ. Raise his family in their own dimension where he is the big guy.
    Follow your inner moonlight, do not hide the madness. -Ginsberg

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I would be open to it as long as it's really weird. If it has to happen let it be bizarre as all hell!

Beyond that, I'd be much happier if Superpops went home and could still visit sometimes for a backyard BBQ. Raise his family in their own dimension where he is the big guy.
    Make Superdad's universe the new Earth 2. It's not like the current one is being put to good use!

The New 52 came from a merging done by Pandora so it is possible Rebirth retcons will also use Pandora as an explanation bec maybe Pandora suppressed some elements of pre flashpoint that are getting released in Rebirth. Maybe it will be revealed that Superman has a love child with Lois.

Anything's possible but I can only pray to all that is good and decent in comicdom that this doesn't happen. I hate ideas like this. They're immersion killers for me. I know, I'm able to accept so much in superhero concepts already, why not this? All I can say is everyone has their limits and certain time-bending concepts they can't stand. This is one of mine.

Conceptually there's absolutely nothing wrong with the New 52 Superman. Morrison built a flawless platform. Its what has come after that has failed to deliver in expanding upon it, outside of Pak and Kuder before they were hamstrung by Berganza. Leave it alone. The only possible thing I can think of that needs tweaking history wise is to just get rid of insinuations of a prior "death of Superman". And only then because its rendered pointless as DC themselves have displayed no interest in going back to that story. So why have it exist if you don't want to make it fit? If you don't want it enough to make it fit, then guess what? You don't really want it. Other than that, its fine. Rebirth in regards to Superman should be all about getting an editor in there who's hands on enough to make sure there's cohesion between the continuity but hands off enough to let the individual creators do their thing, and lets visions that get greenlit go ahead without 180 degree changes in mind. It should feature little to no continuity changes whatsoever outside the one I mentioned, and if we're going to go deeper into his extended family, Superboy.

Superdad on the other hand, keep him around if you want but move him and his family back to their home Earth, if it still exists, or another parallel one. Give him back his classic costume, and you have an option for the audience that are interested in continuing the adventures started in the L&C book.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 03-01-2016 at 09:25 PM.
    They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son. - Jor-El.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Do Pre-COIE Silver/Bronze Age Superman and Golden Age Superman get to play as well?

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Most versions of Superman involve the Daily Planet and Lois Lane so Dc is probably returning to these more iconic elements which are usually also seen in the tv and movie versions.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Make Superdad's universe the new Earth 2. It's not like the current one is being put to good use!
    That's a great idea! Just set up Earth 2 (or hey Earth 222, or whatever) as Superpop's world and let him return there. I'd soft reboot it. It's Pre-Infinite Crisis, or something. Nothing past that happened. No WoNK, no Grounded. Hell, maybe Infinite Crisis didn't happen either.

If Jurgens wants to keep writing it, which would be rad, let him ignore whatever he wants to ignore for a more kosher 90s Superman in 2016.
    Follow your inner moonlight, do not hide the madness. -Ginsberg