Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Rian Johnson Tapped To Write, Direct "Star Wars" Episode VIII & IX

"Looper" director Rian Johnson will write and direct "Star Wars: Episode VIII" and "Episode IX," taking the reins from J.J. Abrams.

Full article here.

Epic if true.
    Pull List
    Action Comics, Superman, Detective Comics, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Flash, Aquaman, Justice League, New 52 Futures End
    Amazing Spider-Man, Avengers, Captain America, Daredevil, Fantastic Four, Hulk, Iron Man, Thor: God of Thunder, Uncanny X-Men, Original Sin

Sorry, I haven't been keeping up. Was Abrams only supposed to do VII or was there a falling out?

First two reactions exactly are:

'Tut. Abrams not back?' And started thinking of Star Trek.

Second was 'That's a great pick'. Breaking Bad and Looper are enough to show that, and would be a very interesting choice for such a big series like Star Wars.

Would be interesting to see if Abrams actually continues on, directing, or writing, or producing, as he has with Mission: Impossible after III and seemingly Star Trek after Into Darkness.

Moderator / Bounty Hunter ABH-1979's Avatar

Yeah, I'm also wondering why Abrams isn't directing VIII and IX, but maybe he'll still be on as a Producer.

Anyway, I liked Looper well enough, but I don't know enough of Rian's work to know how well he'd do in a galaxy far, far away...
    Detective Comics - Batman and Robin - Batman - Grayson

Not a huge Star Wars fan, but I do love Rian Johnson, so I' pretty excited.

Nice range of directors on board now. Though I am a little sad they haven't got Abrams for the whole trilogy, but then if it means he can come back to the Star Trek series that's good too.

Given the arm-twisting it took to get Abrams to sign on, it's not surprising he did so for only one movie. He'll probably be itching to do his own thing next, anyway. Can't imagine he'll be completely uninvolved in the next two, though.

Johnson is an inspired choice. Much like Star Wars itself, Brick and Looper are well-crafted takes on established genres.

Quote Originally Posted by ABH-1979 View Post
    Yeah, I'm also wondering why Abrams isn't directing VIII and IX, but maybe he'll still be on as a Producer.

Anyway, I liked Looper well enough, but I don't know enough of Rian's work to know how well he'd do in a galaxy far, far away...
    He's also directed three episodes of Breaking Bad, a film by the name The Brothers Bloom and detective noir film, Brick, plus a bit of other stuff here and there. I know him best for Looper, myself, as you know him.

I'm thinking more than likely Abrams wanted to do all 3 but he wanted to work on his own solar flared projects in between the movies and Disney was like 'no way buddy, we got a time table here'.

This is great, surprising news. I've seen his name thrown around on fanboy type wish lists for all kinds of franchise stuff, including recently Ant Man, and I've always thought "yeah right," he seems way more the type to focus on his own ideas. But, I guess if you're going to sell your soul to the intellectual property movie gods, what better way than the "Irvin Kershner/ESB" slot of a new Star Wars trilogy! Rumour has it that Abrams will still preside over the trilogy without directing, in the manner of Lucas for the original trilogy, and that for the last installment Johnson's deal is currently only to write a treatment but not necessarily direct.

The important takeaway from Johnson's oeuvre is not what kinds of movies or how similar they are to Star Wars, but how GOOD they are. Which they are very, very good, with plenty of vision and craft that will serve Star Wars well, even if none of his characters have been droids or in space so far.

Brick is a classic.. also, aside from "Ozymandias" it should be noted that he did Breaking Bad's "Fly" episode, one of TV's great bottle episodes. If he can get great drama out of two characters and one insect in a lab for an hour, and (as evidenced by Looper) none of his characterization is overshadowed once significantly more plot, action and genre tropes are in the mix, imagine what he can do with a whole Star Wars universe and budget!

Dear Disney, can we get Johnson to take over episode VII as well? We dont need another Into Darkness debable, thanks!
    Hellboy|BlackScience|EastOfWest|Lazarus|Prophet|Saga|Umbral|Velvet|Zero|EW|Harbinger|Rai|Unity|XO Manowar
    Batman|FuturesEnd|GreenLantern+Corps|JL|RedLantern s|Sinestro|SwampThing|WonderWoman
    _ N U Avengers|Cap|Daredevil|Magneto|Thor|X-Force

If only they'd had him take over the project sooner...

Mind, I'd probably still have the basic problems I have with the new films, but I'd be way more optimistic regarding the individual quality of the trilogy flicks (and well, I guess I am now for VIII & IX at least).

If different directors are used for the movies, won't that lead to a less cohesive new cinematic universe?
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Pharozonk View Post
    If different directors are used for the movies, won't that lead to a less cohesive new cinematic universe?
    Seems to be working for Marvel pretty well.