Page 152 of 168 FirstFirst ... 52102142148149150151152153154155156162 ... LastLast
Results 2,266 to 2,280 of 2513

Question: how many televised episodes has River "accidentally" met up with the Doctor? I could be wrong, but the majority of her appearances, like her debut, had her outright contacting or intercepting the Doctor in some way. But in this past special, it was one big mixup that allowed them to cross paths.
    "Until the lion learns to write, every story will glorify the hunter."
    --African proverb

Regarding the Davison thing, in the 80s there seemed to be sort of a nostalgia of sorts for the Hartnell era which influenced all three Doctors from that era. With Davison it was the larger number of companions, hence Tegan and Nyssa being introduced towards the end of Baker's run. There was also a fair bit of arguing, especially with Adric and Tegan aboard, that reflected the earlier relationship between the Doctor and companions. With Colin Baker they wanted to bring back the 'grouchy' Doctor, and with McCoy they wanted to explore the Doctor's mysterious past and moral alieness that was there in the original story.

About Tegan being written out, I'm not sure but she was 'kind of' written out in Time Flight, although she returned in Arc of Infinity (with a slightly different look and a more varied outfit than the stewardess look she had for most of the season) before leaving in "Ressurection of the Daleks" to be replaced by Peri. The character does appear in some audios set after Ressurection though, and I think they allude a bit to Janet Felding's real-life battle with cancer.

We sort of had this a bit with Capaldi, not only being the older, grouchier Doctor but also Clara becoming a Schoolteacher (and also to an extent Danny as well). Sort of a modern tip of the hat to Ian and Barbera.

As for River and the Doctor, it's been implied that she met Doctors before Ten, but wiped their memory or something-I think Big Finish might pick up on this as they're doing something with her and Mcgann.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 12-30-2015 at 08:33 AM.

Veteran Member

Well, we know that River steals the TARDIS on a regulat basis. Presumably she's jumping around in time and taking the TARDIS from different eras. She may see the Doctor, but not interact with him, given she's trying to steal the TARDIS without him noticing. Thus she could have seen all the Doctors except Capaldi, but she may not have actually talked to all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    As for River and the Doctor, it's been implied that she met Doctors before Ten, but wiped their memory or something-I think Big Finish might pick up on this as they're doing something with her and Mcgann.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Well, we know that River steals the TARDIS on a regulat basis. Presumably she's jumping around in time and taking the TARDIS from different eras. She may see the Doctor, but not interact with him, given she's trying to steal the TARDIS without him noticing. Thus she could have seen all the Doctors except Capaldi, but she may not have actually talked to all of them.
    Yes, but what about actual televised episodes; that is, episodes where Alex Kingston actually appears in a central role and accidentally runs into the Doctor onscreen? Do we know how many episodes that is?
    --African proverb

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    Yes, but what about actual televised episodes; that is, episodes where Alex Kingston actually appears in a central role and accidentally runs into the Doctor onscreen? Do we know how many episodes that is?
    At the screening the other day, they had one of those quizzes on screen and I rightly guessed that Alex Kingston has been in 15 episodes. Now some of those were two-parters, so the number of times she accidentally runs into the Doctor would probably be at least half that number. Counting her first and last encounter, it's probably around six, but I haven't sat down to actually count them yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    River appears in the following episodes:

Silence in the Library / Forest of the Dead- Summons the Doctor by Psychic paper

The Time of Angels / Flesh and Stone-Summons the Doctor by leaving a message on the black box of the Byzantium.

The Pandorica Opens / The Big Bang- Summons the Doctor by carving a message, the oldest message, on a cliff face.

The Impossible Astronaut / Day of the Moon- Summoned by the Doctor. Also present, spoilers, in the spacesuit.

A Good Man Goes to War- Summoned by the Doctor, but comes on her own accord after the Battle of Demons Run is over.

Let's Kill Hitler- As, spoiler, Mels, she sought out the Doctor as Amy had been talking about him for years. Since at that point no one knew Mels was River, it is in fact a surprise, but probably not what your looking for.

Closing Time- Doesn't see the Doctor, yet.

The Wedding of River Song- Three Rivers present. In the Suit, at the lake picnic, and in the destroyed timestream world. We've covered the first two. In the messed up world, they meet on purpose as part of the plan to fix the trouble.

The Angels Take Manhattan- River is living in 1930's New York for some reason. She runs into Rory accidentally. The Doctor eventually comes to the 30's as well. Closest to an accidentally meeting as we're gonna get, I think.

The Name of the Doctor- She's quite dead. Appears as a ghost, called to the party via psychic roundtable by Vastra.

The Husbands of River Song- The only one that seems to be an accidental meeting.

That was fun. She also appears in several prequels and dvd only features, but even those meetings seem arranged by one party or the other.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! Dark Knight1047's Avatar

Does anyone think the new Doctor should be a woman? If so, which actresses would be good?
    "There is a difference between you and me. We both looked into the abyss, but when it looked back at us... you blinked."

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Knight1047 View Post
    Does anyone think the new Doctor should be a woman? If so, which actresses would be good?
    -sigh- I hope not. That would be tough for me.

It's not that I don't think they eventually will do this what with all the 'talk' about it. Nor do I hate women (being one myself.)
    I've just never, ever, been interested in female characters. Massive ennui. At best I might have a grudging like or tolerate them usually if they're more brash (Hello, Donna.) If they go with a female Doctor it will depend on the stories. My second favorite 'character' is the TARDIS so if they do plots that explore that more then I'd probably stick around for at least that until the next regeneration story.

At any rate the Doctor needs to be ginger at some point as it would be massively unfair if he went through another row of regenerations and never attained the coveted hair color.
    Lost interest in membership

Quote Originally Posted by Kyer View Post
    -sigh- I hope not. That would be tough for me.

It's not that I don't think they eventually will do this what with all the 'talk' about it. Nor do I hate women (being one myself.)
    I've just never, ever, been interested in female characters. Massive ennui. At best I might have a grudging like or tolerate them usually if they're more brash (Hello, Donna.) If they go with a female Doctor it will depend on the stories. My second favorite 'character' is the TARDIS so if they do plots that explore that more then I'd probably stick around for at least that until the next regeneration story.

At any rate the Doctor needs to be ginger at some point as it would be massively unfair if he went through another row of regenerations and never attained the coveted hair color.
    Me and my son went to the Chicago Con in 2014 to meet Matt Smith and he went dressed as the 11th Doctor with the fez and bow tie and a lot of people were asking if they could take a picture with him because he has red hair and they were all like "A ginger Doctor!".

It would be cool to see a ginger Doctor at some point. My son would probably co crazy if it ever happened (in a good way).
    "There is a difference between you and me. We both looked into the abyss, but when it looked back at us... you blinked."

So tired of the stupid Ginger Doctor Joke. Much like Dr. WHO now..its tired and old.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by d.w washburn View Post
    So tired of the stupid Ginger Doctor Joke. Much like Dr. WHO now..its tired and old.
    I'm no more tired of either. It's the same with "Bigger on the outside." I've gotten to enjoy these dialogues. Sort of like Lego and HiSHE Batman always saying "I'm Batman!" Come to look forward to the moment.
    Lost interest in membership

When has the ginger joke really been used that much, apart from the regeneration stories? Like the criticism of "Timey wimey", it's something that doesn't really seem to be in the show as much as some think it does.

Quote Originally Posted by d.w washburn View Post
    Well, a good way to put a stop to it is to cast Shirley Manson as the 13th Doctor.
    So this Zealot comes to my door, all glazed eyes and clean reproductive organs, asking me if I ever think about God. So I tell him I killed God. I tracked God down like a rabid dog, hacked off his legs with a hedge trimmer, and boiled off his corpse in an acid bath. So he pulls an alternating-current taser on me and tells me that only the Official Serbian Church of Tesla can save my polyphase intrinsic electric field, known to non-engineers as "the soul". So I hit him. What would you do?

Quote Originally Posted by DonWinslow View Post
    The Name of the Doctor- She's quite dead. Appears as a ghost, called to the party via psychic roundtable by Vastra.
    Thank you! And though I remembered the episode, I quite frankly forgot the circumstances of her appearance there. It's neat to remember that for River, this is set post-Library.
    --African proverb

So, just wondering what everyone thinks about the numbering of the Doctors? What with the War Doctor and Tennant's extra regeneration? How would you number them?