Newbie Member

Default What batman comic?

Hi everyone, basically I'm trying to decide which batman comic to subscribe to.

I currently only read harley quinn and suicide squad due to budget but now I'm going to add another.

There are a few to choose from though so I was hoping you guys could give me your recommendations and what each one offers etc

Thanks in advance for any replies

That depends on what you are looking for.

All Star Batman has the same writer as the main Nu52 Batman has had since the beginning.

Batman is the 'core' book and where to go if you primarily want solo Batman stories.

Detective Comics is the 'bat-family' book. Batman features strongly, but there is a heavy focus on a group of teenage superheroes.

The new flagship Batman.

Newbie Member

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    That depends on what you are looking for.

All Star Batman has the same writer as the main Nu52 Batman has had since the beginning.

Batman is the 'core' book and where to go if you primarily want solo Batman stories.

Detective Comics is the 'bat-family' book. Batman features strongly, but there is a heavy focus on a group of teenage superheroes.
    Awesome, which ones have the more variety of villains in such as the joker, poison ivy, etc etc

I love the villas in the batman world

Quote Originally Posted by Kruptondude View Post
    Awesome, which ones have the more variety of villains in such as the joker, poison ivy, etc etc

I love the villas in the batman world
    Scott Snyder's "All Star Batman" sounds like it'll be tackling a handful of the classic rogues. We know that Snyder has a Two-Face story in mind.

Newbie Member

This may sound silly, but what's the difference between all Star Batman and batman

They are both written by Scott sender aswell am I right?

I guess I would say, why do you like Harley/Suicide Squad? What do read it for? Action? Humour? The cast? The writer? The art?
    The easy answer I guess, is read the main Batman book, especially with the whole Rebirth even coming and a new writer (Tom King, who is quite good) it's a great place to jump and and get a taste of Batman as a whole going forward, and it generally sets the agenda for a lot of other books that follow. What happens in the main book generally ripples out into the others.
    That might not be for you though, maybe you want more of a big team book, and the upcoming version of Detective Comics with Batman, Batwoman, Red Robin, etc. would be more your style.
    Maybe it would be Nightwing, with a main character you isn't quite as dark and grim as Batman but offers just as much high flying action, both in Gotham City and around the world.
    There is All Star Batman coming soon too, with the previous main Batman writer (Scott Snyder, who is also quite good), It has more of a focus on a rotating cast of core Batman villians for each story arc like Two Face, Mr.Freeze, etc. and a rotating cast of top artists.
    Batman Beyond, basically far into the future Batman with young Terry McGinnis behind the mask and Bruce Wayne as his old, angry and worn out mentor.
    If you like Robin, there is either Teen Titans, with Robin and a cast of other young heroes, or Super Sons, with the son of Batman and the son of Superman teaming up.
    Batgirl could be your thing, which has a lighter and funnier tone than Batman, and there is another Batgirl book coming too, which is more of a team book with Birds of Prey and a small group of female heroes.
    Red Hood and the Outlaws, where a more violent Batman protege teams up with Bizarro Superman and Artemis, a rogue Amazon.
    Basically take some time to think about what you want in a book, what about what you read now keeps you reading? Because with Rebirth coming in June/July and everything basically starting off from a new place with new writers and new storylines, it's a good time to jump in. Especially with the coming price drop on all books.

This may sound silly, but what's the difference between all Star Batman and batman

Scott Snyder is writing Batman currently but leaving soon(there are only issues #51 and #52 left and he isn't on issue #52), while Tom King will take over the main Batman title with a new #1 in June and Scott Snyder doing All Star Batman whenever that starts.

Uh, are you aware DC has a big change / shake-up / relaunch thing coming up in a couple of months?

Newbie Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Uh, are you aware DC has a big change / shake-up / relaunch thing coming up in a couple of months?
    Nope I wasn't, so all dc comics are starting from scratch?

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

All Star Batman is the one to get, as are all Scott Snyder Batman trade paperbacks.

Nope I wasn't, so all dc comics are starting from scratch?
    No, and Batman comics are changing the very least (because Batman sells just fine). Like basically not changing at all very very probably.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 03-29-2016 at 01:47 PM.
    Lex Luthor: Think about it, Clark. My intellect, your powers. Together we could rule this world. We'll walk as gods among men.
    Clark: You're not a god. I'm not even sure you're human.
    Lex Luthor: Are you?

Newbie Member

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    All Star Batman is the one to get, as are all Scott Snyder Batman trade paperbacks.

No, and Batman comics are changing the very least (because Batman sells just fine). Like basically not changing at all very very probably.
    Is all Star Batman not a monthly one?
    Sorry if these questions are silly or annoying

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Is all Star Batman not a monthly one?
    Sorry if these questions are silly or annoying
    "All Star Batman" will be written by longtime series scribe Scott Snyder, with art by John Romita Jr., Jock, and Sean Murphy. It ships twice monthly starting in August, and will feature many of the classic Bat-villains.
    http://www.comicbookresources.com/ar...ll-star-batman

Great new interview:

http://www.newsarama.com/28600-rebir...ar-batman.html
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 03-29-2016 at 02:23 PM.
    Lex Luthor: Think about it, Clark. My intellect, your powers. Together we could rule this world. We'll walk as gods among men.
    Clark: You're not a god. I'm not even sure you're human.
    Lex Luthor: Are you?

Newbie Member

Just been reading up on them, thanks guys
    Can't wait for them to start now

Going to go with all star and maybe batman adwell

Thinking about adding superman or action comics also

Quote Originally Posted by Kurtzberg View Post
    I guess I would say, why do you like Harley/Suicide Squad? What do read it for? Action? Humour? The cast? The writer? The art?
    The easy answer I guess, is read the main Batman book, especially with the whole Rebirth even coming and a new writer (Tom King, who is quite good) it's a great place to jump and and get a taste of Batman as a whole going forward, and it generally sets the agenda for a lot of other books that follow. What happens in the main book generally ripples out into the others.
    That might not be for you though, maybe you want more of a big team book, and the upcoming version of Detective Comics with Batman, Batwoman, Red Robin, etc. would be more your style.
    Maybe it would be Nightwing, with a main character you isn't quite as dark and grim as Batman but offers just as much high flying action, both in Gotham City and around the world.
    There is All Star Batman coming soon too, with the previous main Batman writer (Scott Snyder, who is also quite good), It has more of a focus on a rotating cast of core Batman villians for each story arc like Two Face, Mr.Freeze, etc. and a rotating cast of top artists.
    Batman Beyond, basically far into the future Batman with young Terry McGinnis behind the mask and Bruce Wayne as his old, angry and worn out mentor.
    If you like Robin, there is either Teen Titans, with Robin and a cast of other young heroes, or Super Sons, with the son of Batman and the son of Superman teaming up.
    Batgirl could be your thing, which has a lighter and funnier tone than Batman, and there is another Batgirl book coming too, which is more of a team book with Birds of Prey and a small group of female heroes.
    Red Hood and the Outlaws, where a more violent Batman protege teams up with Bizarro Superman and Artemis, a rogue Amazon.
    Basically take some time to think about what you want in a book, what about what you read now keeps you reading? Because with Rebirth coming in June/July and everything basically starting off from a new place with new writers and new storylines, it's a good time to jump in. Especially with the coming price drop on all books.
    Big thanks. That is an excellent post my friend. I got out the loop for awhile and just recently got caught up so I had some questions myself. You broke that down nice.