Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Newbie Member

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Fred, Daphne and Velma however were part of the popular Mystery Inc. equation. When Scrappy came on the show, he not only pushed the three smarter, braver, less goofier teens off the show, he also changed the whole format (from mystery solving half hours to 10-15 wacky hijinks similar to other generic Hanna-Barbera toons). The creators for some reason decided the show did not need to appeal to girls by jettisoning off Daphne and Velma (along with Fred), and the change from procedural to wacky shorts made the show lose what set it apart from the rest of the H/B stable. They brought back Daphne once they realized they lost girl viewers but the show still felt lacking and lopsided without the full gang together. A long time passed before Velma and Fred returned full time along with the procedural format.

I think most of the Scrappy haters strongly identify him with the unpopular changes made to the show's format and the dumping of 3/5ths of Mystery Inc. (not to mention the Mystery Machine) and think these changes were done to kind of force him down children's throats (in a way, true). So yeah, I guess he is hated because he is seen as the one to break up the Beatles.
    One problem with that: Said format changes happened nearly after a year after Scrappy's introduction, plus mystery machine was never dumped.

Quote Originally Posted by Skarmory1026 View Post
    One problem with that: Said format changes happened nearly after a year after Scrappy's introduction, plus mystery machine was never dumped.
    Yeah, I remember episodes with the core 5 + scrappy...

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm still waiting for a major Scooby-Doo installment (cartoon, DTV, etc.) to take Scrappy and actually try and update or make the character work without turning him into a villain (the movie) or acknowledge him only to completely ignore him (Mystery Inc.).
    Doesn't sound like that's happening any time soon.

Really, Scrappy being the villain could have worked in an obvious PARODY of Scooby Doo, but in that movie, it just felt like a badly written fanfic that was made into a movie.

Newbie Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Lang View Post
    Doesn't sound like that's happening any time soon.

Really, Scrappy being the villain could have worked in an obvious PARODY of Scooby Doo, but in that movie, it just felt like a badly written fanfic that was made into a movie.
    Call crazy, but I think it might already be. I was talking with some people on another forum, and apparently Scooby Apocalypse got padded out after it grew successful, as evidanced by "Scrappy lying in wait with his pack of mutant mutts". As I may have mentioned in an earlier post, Scrappy hasn't really done anything evil yet. Yes, he's turned into a big monster, and that probably put off a lot of folks with bad memories of the 2002 movie (Like me) But it seems that he mostly is using it for a better chance of survival (It's a little disturbing, I'll grant, but then again I could be biased by my bad memories) But point is...so they've been teasing us for a confrontation between Mystery Inc. and Scrappy, Scrappy obviously holds a grudge against Scooby...but they've kind of been giving this incarnation a bit of character developement on the side...so it's clearly not a black and white, "Mystery Inc. Rules and Scrappy sucks, Scrappy will be annihilated" sort of thing along the lines of the 2002 thing. I think that they have plans for Scrappy, better then what everyone's been used to for the past while...look, if anyone who likes Scrappy has read the comic and thinks they might be going for something different...anyway, what do we have to lose?

Quote Originally Posted by Skarmory1026 View Post
    "Nearly after a year" is pretty short considering the historical duration of the Scooby series. And compare that to Daphne's absence from the series (4 years) and Fred and Velma's (5 years) after those months. Also, Fred and the girls were immediately marginalized as soon as Scrappy arrived.
    Last edited by Confuzzled; 03-21-2017 at 02:43 AM.

Incredible Member PennyDreadful's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    They can't just not use him, because you've got to keep your trademarks fresh. And, so many people do, apparently, love to "hate" him.

I've never really understood the antagonism. If anything has ever seemed "hipster" to me, it's overpriced cereal cafes and "hating" Scrappy Doo.
    Just surfed in and...really? Cereal cafes are a thing?

I'd prefer just giving Scrappy a walk-on myself. At least none of Scooby's siblings have shown up.