Newbie Member

Default Recommendations for a Newbie

Hi. My friend wants to start reading DC! I'm just trying to think of an easy read/new series that would be good for him to get in too! Ideas would be appreciated!

Might be best to try to narrow down what he would be interested in (though if he's willing to give it all a try, that's cool). DC covers a lot of ground.
    Does he have any kind of character preference at all, even generally? For example, does he prefer superheroes with powers or ones without?
    Are there any specific genres he likes?
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

From the New 52, Wonder Woman and Aquaman. They're both awesome.
    Green Lantern Spanish Fan Site HERE

Rebirth Pull list: Superman, Batman, 'Tec, Hal Jordan & GLC, The Flash, Aquaman, Green Arrow, Justice League, Titans, Nightwing, Batgirl & The BoP.

How old is he? There's some interesting VERTIGO material. Well received recent superhero runs are GREEN ARROW by Jeff Lemire, AQUAMAN by Geoff Johns, BATMAN by Scott Snyder and JUSTICE LEAGUE by Geoff Johns. Personal favourites are SUICIDE SQUAD by Ales Kot, NEW SUICIDE SQUAD by Tim Seeley (Seeley is not collected yet) and GOTHAM ACADEMY

Collector of Worlds GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

Well with Rebirth starting on May 25th that would be a good place for your friend to jump on.
    Understanding is much deeper then knowledge. Many people can know something, but very few can truly understand something.

Newbie Member

He's 16. So something quite Dark but wanting you to read on. Hope you don't mind me asking!

Newbie Member

He's 16, So something quite Dark but wanting you to read on. Hope you don't mind me asking!

Quote Originally Posted by MrWallice View Post
    He's 16, So something quite Dark but wanting you to read on. Hope you don't mind me asking!
    The New 52 Batman series has The Court of Owls and Death of the Family events, both of which were pretty dark.
    Batwoman has a very heavy horror influence for the first half of its run, but may not be the most accessible for new readers. Still, worth a shot.
    There's Justice League Dark, Animal Man, Dial H, and Swamp Thing as well.

The Injustice: Gods Among Us prequel series isn't stellar or anything, and it's an alternate universe series to boot, but it has plenty of dark moments what with all the deaths that happen in it. Might be a bit of a wasted effort on a new reader with no attachment or knowledge of the characters, though.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Newbie Member

Hi. My friend wants to start reading DC! I'm just trying to think of an easy read/new series that would be good for him to get in too! Ideas would be appreciated!
    Well have him check out the solicitations and previews before going to the shop. Or check out comicstorian for complete stories so he has an Idea of what the books are offering.

He's 16. So something quite Dark but wanting you to read on. Hope you don't mind me asking!
    Believe it or not, the new 52 Wonder Woman book by Brian Azzarello (issues 1-35) would probably be perfect for something dark and engaging.

Animal Man by Jeff Lemire
    Batman by Scott Snyder
    Grayson by Tim Seeley and Tom King
    Green Arrow by Jeff Lemire
    I, Vampire by Joshua Hale Fialkov
    Midnighter by Steve Orlando
    The Omega Men by Tom King
    Swamp Thing by Scott Snyder and Charles Soule
    Wonder Woman by Brian Azzarello

Well, with the upcoming DC Rebirth relaunch, I can definitely recommend Batman, All-Star Batman, and Deathstroke, all of which look to be pretty dark and are by some top-tier talent. Green Arrow and Hellblazer also look like they might be good. All of those books (except for All-Star Batman) start with Rebirth specials and then new #1 issues, and come out every two weeks (except for Hellblazer and All-Star Batman, which come out once a month) for $2.99; the release dates for all of these can be found on DC Comics' website.
    You can follow me on Twitter or Tumblr, if more of my opinions sounds like something you'd like.

Apparently the reaction of many superhero comic readers when confronted with anything that might be called ‘good’ is to be scared and confused, because it makes things happen in their brain and that’s never happened before. --Andrew Hickey