Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default New "TMNT: Out of the Shadows" Trailer Comes in Kind of Fast

A new full-length action-packed trailer has arrived for "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows."

Full article here.

BANNED

I am all aboard the Bay Turtles

Elder Member

The Mutagen can turn the Turtles human? I know it's been inconsistently portrayed over the years, but I don't think it's ever worked that way. If anything it would just change them into normal turtles...

And whatever happened to "I love being a Turtle" ?

I'm surprised we got more footage with Krang in the last trailer then we did in this one. At least Casey got...one more line I think?

Bebop and Rockstead looking pretty good .

The first trailer had me mildly excited(which is a feat, because I loathed the first movie).

But now between the two trailers, I feel like I've seen the entire movie.

TMNT is such a tricky property to balance because the original comic was dark and the original cartoon was goofy, and trying to please both sets of fans is a near impossibility.
    "You can talk your way out of almost anything." - Fortune Cookie Proverb

T. Foolery's unwieldy, yet not entirely unimpressive, collection of funny books.

Elder Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Foolery View Post
    The first trailer had me mildly excited(which is a feat, because I loathed the first movie).

TMNT is such a tricky property to balance because the original comic was dark and the original cartoon was goofy, and trying to please both sets of fans is a near impossibility.
    I think for the most part 2k12 has done a fairly good job of balancing between the two styles of TMNT, in that you have a lot of humor and goofiness as well as references and elements from the original cartoon, while you still have some good action, darker moments, characterizations, and serialized storytelling from 2k3 .

i passed on seeing the 2014 movie still had a bad taste in my mouth from seeing the TMNT animated movie in middle school in 07 but eventually saw it on amazon was alright this one looks to be pretty fun so don't see why i wouldn't go see this one.

STAND BACK OVER 500 FEET BeastieRunner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think for the most part 2k12 has done a fairly good job of balancing between the two styles of TMNT, in that you have a lot of humor and goofiness as well as references and elements from the original cartoon, while you still have some good action, darker moments, characterizations, and serialized storytelling from 2k3 .
    The current cartoon is kind of like a "send up" of the best TMNT elements.

That being said, I kind of like that they are embracing the goofy, crazy, and zany elements from the classic and current cartoons!
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 04-11-2016 at 02:39 PM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

It's only tricky if you make it. The 1990 movie managed to balance the comics and cartoon elements very well. I have no idea why no one can manage to blend light and dark as well. There's a reason why TMNT '14 despite "making a profit" failed in comparison to most other comic book movies out now and that's because source fidelity matters. All the comics and animated shows serve to vet the good ideas from the bad, they serve as a guide of what works for each property. With TMNT it's previous bad versions serve as an excuse for these movies to get away with being bad as long as it's got the "right" characters and to not bother trying to adapt stories.There's really no excuse for the turtles learning ninjutsu from a book or having magic mutagen that can turn them into humans. I don't think I've ever willed a movie to fail but I don't care if it kills the movie series or the franchise itself. Frankly I'd rather have no TMNT than this level of bad TMNT.

This is looking to be a really nice summer popcorn flick. And hey, the tone actually matches the rating they're going for.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Orbus View Post
    It's only tricky if you make it. The 1990 movie managed to balance the comics and cartoon elements very well. I have no idea why no one can manage to blend light and dark as well. There's a reason why TMNT '14 despite "making a profit" failed in comparison to most other comic book movies out now and that's because source fidelity matters.
    in no shape, way, or form did the first TMNT fail.

It "failed" so hard that they pushed a sequel out lickity split.

"This isn't working."

"We keep failing."

Maybe if you guys upgraded to long range weapons. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    in no shape, way, or form did the first TMNT fail.

It "failed" so hard that they pushed a sequel out lickity split.
    I said the it failed in comparison to the recent comic book movies which it did. We know from Simon Pegg with his comments on Paramount's reaction to Star Trek: Into Darkness making half a billion dollars is seen by them as a disappointment when you've got other "nerd" franchises like the Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy making over a billion. TMNT had the excuse that it's budget was much lower than Star Trek which always sounded like a weak answer even before we found out that this was bigger than what was reported at the time.

Bare in mind that when Viacom acquired the franchise they stated they wanted the movie to be like Iron Man and when Michael Bay not only had his company produce but stepped in a producer there did some a lot of assumptions if this being as big as Transformers. In a strange way the backlash I feel did the movie a fair as it seemed to make everyone lower their expectation. The big thing is everyone involved is talking like the first movie was a disappointment in interviews and the money it made has been mentioned in this context as a way to try and sell us on how different their approach is with the sequel. Again why would they give us the hard sell of how different the sequel us if they felt the previous movie was a success.

Announcing sequels soon after the movie hits is pretty much what Platinum Dunes does, isn't it? They've quickly announced sequels to every movie they've produced if memory serves me well even if not all of them end up getting made. The fact they cranked this out so fast I think helps my argument, if they were confident of the audience still being there they would take their time. Doing it do fast smacks that they are afraid of losing what little momentum they've earned. It also (sadly) undermines whatever sincere intentions of genuinely doing things differently.

This movie looks like a lot of fun. It's taking everything from the old cartoon and bringing it to life. It worked with Transformers. I think it'll work just as well for TMNT. The critics will still hate it, as some people hate everything Michael Bay does, but if this is anywhere near as successful as Transformers, I doubt he or the studio will care.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Rookie Member

The CGI on these movies just look too amateurish.

Rookie Member

Can't decide if it's fun and completely capturing what I remember as a 6 year old, or so stupid it's almost a joke. I'll be seeing it either way, I ain't gonna pretend otherwise.