Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Walt Simonson Triumphantly Returns to Thor with "Ragnarök"

Walt Simonson explains why his take on the Norse apocalypse in the IDW-published "Ragnarök," is "some of the grimmest work I've ever done."

Full article here.

This book sounds pretty damn cool. I love it when you get a creator who really and truly loves the subject he is writing about. It always makes the book better.

Da-yum. Always love it when Simonson lets loose. And this looks especially cool as a sorta counterpoint to his Thor work.

His artwork truly is amazing in this book. I will definitely get it. His joy and love comes through in the art . . . he is one of the greats for a reason, and its nice to see it displayed here, brilliantly.

This has been my most anticipated book in years. I can't wait until it finally comes out.

Super excited that he basically gets free reign with Thor, no editor on his shoulder saying nope to this and that. Carnage pure and simple.

Really, really excited about this book. The first issue cannout come out soon enough. The wait between issues will be torture, but it's understandable and I don't mind where Simonson let loose is concerned.

Already pre-ordered both covers for the first two issues, can't wait! I love the way Simonson described it, I think it's the first interview I've seen where he talks about Ragnarok at length.

At first my reaction when this was first announced was, "Meh, I might pick this up." I love Simonson, but it just really didn't grab me at first.

Now, looking at the preview pages, I want to travel back in time and heavy metal drop-kick myself for being a knucklehead. I have never seen such an epic looking comic since, well, Simonson's Thor. And I like that he's taking the Hellboy approach to releasing it, it makes it feel that much more epic. Take your time, sir, if you are going to put out pages like that.
    currently reading and enjoying very, very much: Manhattan Projects, Mind MGMT, Moon Knight, Multiversity, Southern Bastards, Wytches

Pre-ordered this when I first heard about it. Cannot wait! I figured the bi-monthly schedule that it's going to be on is to accommodate Simonson. When he says that he'd like to take a month off between arcs, I wonder if that will mean two months between say issues 6 and 7. Still, since he's doing all the work and the covers and interior work that has been shown looks fantastic, then I say sure, give him the time. I've got plenty of other books to read as well.

This looks/sounds really good, count me in. The amount of time he took working on the story and his love for norse mythology should make this comic a real treat.

Cafe Europa. LAMENT. Imraith Nimphais's Avatar

And...pre-ordered as of two seconds ago.
    Sun and Moon
    STORM #1...Greg Pak (W) Victor Ibanez (A/CA)...July 23rd 2014
    Those who embrace nature are in turn embraced by her.

I still wish this was a freestanding Marvel Knights mini. Oh, well.

Been looking forward to this since it was first announced last year. This may not be the return to Marvel's Thor that the fanboy in many of us have wished for, but this project is Norse legends with pure Simonson and I for one couldn't be happier. The bits that have been shown look phenomenal. Here's to a long and exciting run!

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    I still wish this was a freestanding Marvel Knights mini. Oh, well.
    Marvel would want to publish it monthly, they probably wouldn't risk the needed schedule so it'd end up being rushed or we'd have to wait a lot longer to see it come out all together. And Walt wouldn't have as much creative control over the project. He's expressed how happy he is with IDW, I'm glad he's enjoying himself in this dream book of his which will surely be much more rewarding than if he'd done it at Marvel. He's probably getting a better deal, too. And this way he can keep it going as long as he means to and not just a limited series.

Yep. Cannot wait for this to come out! "Epic" is not a big enough word!