Super Moderator

Default Kirkman and Azaceta Unleash Unholy Terror in "Outcast"

Robert Kirkman and Paul Azaceta discuss the creation, evolution and future of their journey into the world of demonic possession with "Outcast."

Full article here.

I think the preview page order is messed up - but the panel with his mom is gnarly!

i'm pretty excited for a new Kirkman book! I'm loving Invincible & TWD

Always have to give a Kirkman book a chance.

I really liked this. Good first issue. More than just set up, but a good set up as well. I will definitely hang around for the first arc.

BANNED

I've already been a big fan of the Walking dead TV series, but when the guys at my local comic shop told me to jump on this book, i said " Hell why not ? " this book is supposedly highly anticipated. and after reading a few articles all over the internet. apparently the book is already starting its second printing.

i'll give it a read this weekend and see how i feel.....

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Despite my dislike of The Walking Dead and my uncertainly with even trying to read Invincible, I gave this a shot on a whim. Honestly... it was pretty fantastic and really got me into the book more than any of Kirkman's other comics (a shocking 10 out of 10 from me).

It came together so well. The characters, the story, the setup, the mystery, the horror, and everything else. It came together almost perfectly for me and has honestly got me excited in seeing where this series goes in the future. My only hope is that it doesn't become like The Walking Dead and goes on and on and on and on and on and on and on...

Val-Zod(Son of Zod,duh!) ApolloCreed!(The One and Only)'s Avatar

Eh, this was ok, I'm not sure about this whole exorcism thing, I just don't think it comes across well....

Everything else though, I really liked, especially the dialogue between Kyle and Megan, the art really fit the tone, and the flashback scenes really fit well within the current narrative...
    (aka)agent_graves (aka)4my6kidz

I enjoyed it. Dont think it should be an ongoing series with 100+ issues but time will tell.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    Despite my dislike of The Walking Dead and my uncertainly with even trying to read Invincible, I gave this a shot on a whim. Honestly... it was pretty fantastic and really got me into the book more than any of Kirkman's other comics (a shocking 10 out of 10 from me).

It came together so well. The characters, the story, the setup, the mystery, the horror, and everything else. It came together almost perfectly for me and has honestly got me excited in seeing where this series goes in the future. My only hope is that it doesn't become like The Walking Dead and goes on and on and on and on and on and on and on...
    But in all reality If its that good. Say walking Dead good. why would you not want it to go on? i myself hate when a good story or tv show wraps up and ends... what does that for us fans? nothing but hoping and begging the creator of it makes something new.

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    The Walking Dead and goes on and on and on and on and on and on and on...
    I see that complaint from people, but honestly, that is the series intent. Kirkman stated that right up front. That's like being mad a ham sandwich has all this ham in it.

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by donmeca2020 View Post
    But in all reality If its that good. Say walking Dead good. why would you not want it to go on? i myself hate when a good story or tv show wraps up and ends... what does that for us fans? nothing but hoping and begging the creator of it makes something new.
    Because I have seen what happens when stories I like go on for much longer than they should and end up falling apart, most often the case in manga. Outcast is good, but I don't want it to go on forever and end up falling apart.

So this was really, really good. Probably Kirkman's best first issue of a series. Creepy and moody. Was not a fan of Azaceta prior to this, but the art work sets the tone really well (maybe his style just doesn't fit superheroes well and that's all I've seen of him before). Does exactly what you want in a first issue - offers an interesting story in it's own right while introducing the main characters and their personalities and still setting up teases to interest you in what is to come. Impressive.
    My comicartfans.com collection. Lots of Ryan Ottley:
    http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryD...asp?GCat=49719

Invincible universe wiki (work in progress):
    http://invincibleuniverse.wikia.com/..._Universe_Wiki

I've liked Azaceta's work for a while, so I'm glad to see him with a hit on his hands. I also thought this was a pretty strong first issue, if those opening pages were a little confusing at first.

I'm not even a horror fan but I thought the first issue was great. Surprised it's not getting more love in Image Comic of the Week poll.
    Anne Bonnie, Princess Ugg, Five Ghosts, Saga, Rat Queens, Sheltered, Groo, Goon, Usagi Yojimbo, Sixth Gun, Wasteland, Courtney Crumrin, Invincible, Walking Dead, Starlight, Winterworld, Manifest Destiny, God Hates Astronauts, Spread, Flash Gordon, The Fade Out, Fearless Dawn, Skullkickers, Nailbiter, Southern Bastards, Copperhead, Stray Bullets/Killers, Tooth and Claw