Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
    Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderLuthor View Post
    Well, if some are to be believed he had a powerful protector in management. If true, likely the same one that has protected Lobdell. I've joked over the years that Lobdell has to have compromising pics of someone to keep getting DC work - but maybe that is closer to the truth than I thought
    Quite frankly, this is a bit too much on the conspiracy theory side to be seriously taken into consideration without a vague evidence to support it.

Quote Originally Posted by Myskin View Post
    Quite frankly, this is a bit too much on the conspiracy theory side to be seriously taken into consideration without a vague evidence to support it.
    Ok, I don't have a dog in this fight. I think Berganza is a terrible leader of the Superman line because the books have been mediocre at best under his leadership. Full stop. Simply repeating what is all over social media - I mean we do have Lobdell repeatedly sexually harassing a woman on camera during a comic-con panel with no apparent repercussions other than a half-assed apology and continually getting work from Berganza (Superman and Red Hood). Thank God since his Teen Titans and Red Hood have been so good /sarc
    Last edited by AlexanderLuthor; 04-22-2016 at 03:38 PM.

Veteran Member

I think Berganza is a terrible leader of the Superman line because the books have been mediocre at best under his leadership. Full stop.
    So what? Does this means that if he had been a good editor and Shelly hadn't been fired, nobody would have given a damn about the allegations?
    Look, I really don't understand if you were joking or not. Anyway, apart from your personal case, as I said some pages ago I really find it disturbing that a lot of people keep mixing the allegations against Berganza with his work as an editor. At this point I'm fairly sure that several people on this thread are using the sexual harassment thing as a pretext to get Berganza fired because they don't like his work on the Superman family, and this is immoral beyond belief.

I mean we do have Lobdell repeatedly sexually harassing a woman on camera during a comic-con panel with no apparent repercussions other than a half-assed apology
    We don't really know what happened with Lobdell behind the scene, and in any case I really don't understand what this has to do with Berganza's case.
    Last edited by Myskin; 04-22-2016 at 03:48 PM.

So what? Does this means that if he had been a good editor and Shelly hadn't been fired, nobody would have given a damn about the allegations?
    Look, I really don't understand if you were joking or not. Anyway, apart from your personal case, as I said some pages ago I really find it disturbing that a lot of people keep mixing the allegations against Berganza with his work as an editor. At this point I'm fairly sure that several people on this thread are using the sexual harassment thing as a pretext to get Berganza fired because they don't like his work on the Superman family, and this is immoral beyond belief.

We don't really know what happened with Lobdell behind the scene, and in any case I really don't understand what this has to do with Berganza's case.
    I didn't think it was that hard to figure out. You, me nor anyone else has no idea what really happened with Berganza. We know he did use to harass though. As I said pages ago, I want Berganza gone for other reasons. That said, we have Lobdell on tape doing ridiculous stuff and if half of the "rumors" are true a big connection between Lobdell and Berganza. You don't think it is odd that a guy who has had a book cancelled twice is leading the Rebirth launch of the same character and getting all of his work from the same editor or his acolytes?
    Last edited by AlexanderLuthor; 04-22-2016 at 04:00 PM.

nick Hanover named him last year and nothing was done. Then shelly was fired and was the last straw, janelle took some courage and then here we are.
    what matters is that he was outed

I didn't think it was that hard to figure out. You, me nor anyone else has no idea what really happened with Berganza. We know he did use to harass though. As I said pages ago, I want Berganza gone for other reasons. That said, we have Lobdell on tape doing ridiculous stuff and if half of the "rumors" are true a big connection between Lobdell and Berganza. You don't think it is odd that a guy who has had a book cancelled twice is leading the Rebirth launch of the same character and getting all of his work from the same editor or his acolytes?
    looks very obvious for me there is a connection, specially that BC hinted that harras is pretty close to berganza. DC has a habit of fostering sexual harassers. starting with julius schwartz.
    Lobdell has many failures working on DC comics teen titans, superboy... but still keep getting job.
    Jim Higgins ‏@jimhiggins63
    Ugh. My stories are old, the 90s, but harassment was at DC when I was there and handled with a slap on the wrist.
    https://twitter.com/jimhiggins63/sta...74338566287360
    Last edited by Tayswift; 04-22-2016 at 04:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
    I'm not defending him, just stating a fact. He was disciplined; just because you don't think it was hard enough doesn't change that.
    How do YOU know counseling didn't work, when there is evidence it did? Further, how do YOU know any of these women suffer from PTSD? YOU, personally, don't; you spread falsehoods to further your agenda, with no evidence.

And of course he could be fired for poor job performance, but that's not the topic here. However, if you're going to go off topic repeatedly, allow me to do the same: why are you even on the DC boards? Every single time I see you post, you are spewing venom at DC, without ever liking anything lol Why are you here? This isn't an attack, just simple curiousity.
    you aren't stating a fact, sorry but you are defending him. he got a slap on the wrist, just that. he has been protected and the accussation should result on firing. and for the FACT THAT WOMEN DON'T WORK WITH HIM, HE DIDN'T RECOVERED.

janelle asseling that worked with them on DC told on twitter and i'm lying? alllriiiight

IDK but DC have been sucking ultimately, but I'm willing to give rebirth a chance

Quote Originally Posted by GDC3 View Post
    I think if they were at smaller publishing houses they likely would have been outright fired. At larger corporations there is often a protocol in place that is followed based on the severity of the actions. They dealt with the seriousness of the allegations in this particular situation via demotion, training, likely probationary status being applied, and seclusion. Since there have been no further (so they say) incidents recently, firing him now could prove tricky legally since he met the requirements of the companies disciplinary action.
    Not so in regard to the smaller publishing houses, they have issues too. And this isn't just an Eddie Berganza problem, it's all over the place in comics.

These are quotes from the Mary Sue article that was written by Marcy Cook (script and article writer) regarding harassment in the industry:

According to a source I spoke to for this article who wished to remain nameless, one of the most senior editors at DC is known by management to have multiple sexual harassment allegations already in his HR file. Instead of firing someone who has behaved inappropriately multiple times, DC has, according to my well-known source, stopped hiring women who would have to work with him. This offender was kept in the DC offices when DC made the move from its New York City location to Burbank–possibly because he’s not the company’s worst offender.
    There is allegedly another employee still working at DC who allegedly assaulted a woman multiple times in his office. The woman concerned reported him multiple times to management at DC and the person who hired her, but didn’t receive the support she needed and eventually left DC altogether. Instead of firing the alleged offender for his actions, DC, I am told, moved him from comics to another department. It was apparently considered more important to shield the man involved, than to offer support to the woman. The man allegedly now works under a tacit rule where no women are allowed alone in his office.
    According to another source who requested anonymity, another DC editor is allegedly renowned within the industry for the way he ‘mentors’ women (his ‘process’ allegedly involves sleeping with them). This has reportedly been going on for years, and is considered an ‘open secret’ at the company. But it’s not just DC. According to another source, Marvel Comics employs a non editorial staffer who staff now apparently seat away from any women at events. He’s well known for his wandering hands, and they tend to wander up the legs of women nearby without asking for consent first. The same source told about another Marvel regular who worked on very prominent titles in the 80s and 90s is well-known for inappropriate touching.
    Marvel’s recently-announced Red Wolf title has also become a very public PR disaster for employing a publicly named and accused abuser. Many readers feel Marvel is forcing fans to choose to either support a diverse book knowing that they are also supporting the abuser, or not support the book but hurt the sales of a diverse comic. It’s a situation that could easily be avoided by Marvel removing the problem individual and then continuing with the title, but the easy solution has not been publicly discussed by Marvel.
    Two different sources told me the same story involving a smaller press. I can only reveal the specifics of one story, as one of those sources asked for some of the information to be withheld. The man involved allegedly has a drinking issue, is deeply disliked by staffers, and has reportedly grabbed employees’ crotches (and in one instance, licked an employee’s ear) without permission. Multiple incidents have happened in public, but for various reasons I can’t discuss those at this time. I was told two other stories about small independent press, but was asked not to give that information out. I’m not sure what it takes to be a guy and get fired from a comics publisher but I know it must take a lot.
    The volume of abuse within the industry has created a culture of fear and protectionism, and although women and people of color are the usual targets, that’s not to say men have not been affected too. I was told a story by one source of a straight guy getting his crotch grabbed by another guy. The comic book industry is small and very set in its ways, and we have a situation right now where the abusers keep getting rehired but those trying to blow the whistle are blacklisted.
    [/QUOTE]

So this isn't an issue of it just being one or two people doing this, this is all over the place and not just women being harassed, you have men being attacked too.

Quote Originally Posted by Tayswift View Post
    you aren't stating a fact, sorry but you are defending him. he got a slap on the wrist, just that. he has been protected and the accussation should result on firing. and for the FACT THAT WOMEN DON'T WORK WITH HIM, HE DIDN'T RECOVERED.

janelle asseling that worked with them on DC told on twitter and i'm lying? alllriiiight

IDK but DC have been sucking ultimately, but I'm willing to give rebirth a chance
    How is it NOT a fact that he was disciplined? Did you even read my post?

Tell you what. I'll wait while you provide some links showing that corporate took it easy on him. Not hearsay, mind you, but a link to the harassment policy at DC. I'll wait.

Find one yet? No? That's odd, because you so obviously know what you're talking about. So, instead, show me a link with evidence that he hasn't changed. Again, not the hearsay & mystical sources you use. Real evidence. I'll wait, again.

Still nothing? Very odd! Unless, of course, you're on a witchhunt, which would better explain your reasoning. AGAIN, just because you're whining that he "only got a wrist slap", it doesn't mean he wasn't disciplined. If the corporate policy is counseling, then guess what? Discipline occured. And if there have been no complaints following that, at work OR outside of work, then guess what? He apparently learned his lesson.

Should we just burn all criminals in prisonat the stake, or should we hope to rehabilitate a few of them? Because by your logic, counseling doesn't work so we should just not try, right? As someone who is very involved with psychology I take massive offense to your inability to grasp this very simple concept.

But you saw people on twitter, so obviously Berganza is still a bad dude. Gotcha. Stay salty.
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Please read my story and learn how to help here: https://life.indiegogo.com/fundraise...her/x/12104444

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Pasko View Post
    To those who say that nothing can be done about this disgrace -- this deeply offensive insult to those of us who've worked so hard, for so much of our working lives, to serve the industry we love with integrity -- I say this:

Oh, yes, you CAN do something. Just keep talking about it. As loudly and frequently as you can. Make 'em know that this isn't gonna go away. They can only sweep this under the carpet yet again if you let them. You DO have power -- we need your money. So please don't let this become yesterday's forgotten news. Keep up the pressure. This man should, IMO, be fired. And if you agree, please believe that you CAN make a difference.
    How? Stop reading the Superman books? Wouldn't that be punishing Dan Jurgens, Pete Tomasi and dozens of others just to get at Eddie Berganza? Send DC e-mails?

Veteran Member

You don't think it is odd that a guy who has had a book cancelled twice is leading the Rebirth launch of the same character and getting all of his work from the same editor or his acolytes?
    I'll tell you what I think. I think that nobody have the slightest idea of the personal connections among Didio, Harras, Berganza, nobody knows if these accidents were dealt with behind the scene (the Berganza incidents apparently were taken into account by the Human Resources Program, even if they didn't deal with them in the way some of us, including me, would have hoped) and nobody knows how publishers like DC work behind the scene, concerning these episodes or their publishing plans as well.

On the other hand, a lot of people is playing "Homeland"'s Carrie Mathison just because they read a couple of tweets on the internet and they are depicting DC as a secret society of full-time harassers who protect each other as if they were a sect. I think that this is extremely ignorant and irresponsible and, if there have been serious cases of harassment (and I have no problem in thinking that, in fact, there have been), this is the worst possible way to approach the problem.

I also think that a lot of people wouldn't have said a thing if Lois Lane and Superman were still a couple, and thinking that public indignation on a possible crime may depend on the lives of fictional characters makes me shudder.
    Last edited by Myskin; 04-22-2016 at 11:58 PM.

I for one am shocked that people who write immature lowbrow superhero titles are immature lowbrow people.

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    I really don't like people saying stuff like this on message boards. None of you KNOW that it's that way, so stop acting as if you do. Maybe it is, but you don't KNOW that.
    No kidding. We don`t, but we can read what other professionals claim that he did. Which means we can form opinions about what best way to deal with this instead of letting it run. It creates an awkward working enviorment and shitty precedentes to follow on. Acting as if multiple allegations are coincidence or that hey all just woke up and hated on him, isn`t the best way, to me.

Sure, give him Trial but until then, why does he keep surviving company restructions that fire (coincidently) women like Shelly Bond and keep him in the Senior editorial spot for one of the flagship characters?

I presume you mean RATHO?

Difference being Loedbell did one incident that I am aware of and unlike Bergaza had the balls to apologize for his behavior. You may be right in asserting that the only reason he`s having another go is because he`s pals with Berganza, but this isn`t a thread about titles. It`s a moral and ethical industry issue.

Particularly when a good number of said titles where relaunched before as well.
    Last edited by Aioros22; 04-23-2016 at 08:14 AM.

BANNED

I'd be perfectly happy to see Bonanza get the pink slip simply because most of the books he is editing are terrible, and have been so for ages now, so bad at his job.

But the allegations of him being the serial harasser... if it's proven to be true, DC should fire him faster than he could hit the ground by jumping out a window. That said, atm it seems unlikely it will be proven one way or the other, as long as the actual victims choose to remain silent.

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    I'd be perfectly happy to see Bonanza get the pink slip simply because most of the books he is editing are terrible, and have been so for ages now, so bad at his job.

But the allegations of him being the serial harasser... if it's proven to be true, DC should fire him faster than he could hit the ground by jumping out a window. That said, atm it seems unlikely it will be proven one way or the other, as long as the actual victims choose to remain silent.
    How much more proof than it being reported, his workplace taking actions to censure him for it, him admitting some of it, etc do we need? He's not denying things. His workplace did take action.

Whether that means he should be fired now... that's a whole other thing. But, that he has a history of being sexually harassing isn't something even he seems to be denying.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

The thing is...
    If something is happening... no matter how bad it is, or gets... nothing will be done.
    Nothing.
    Absolutely nothing.

Unless it's WB stepping in to take care of it.

And that's not going to happen because it's so far beneath their radar.
    Comics news sites are not going to get the attention of WB.

It seems to me that a lot of DC's current issues could be solved by WB taking a more involved approach.
    Last edited by Lee Stone; 04-23-2016 at 10:47 AM.
    Marv Wolfman, regarding Convergence: New Teen Titans: "I've got to say that after I handed in the book, I got a call from Dan (Didio) and at some point he said, 'You really love those characters, don't you?'"