Super Moderator

Default AMC & DC Offering 100,000 Free Copies of "Preacher" #1 Ahead of TV Premiere

In promotion for the new series, free copies of Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon's inaugural issue are being given away.

Full article here.

So people can then watch the show and get confused because it's not like in the comic?

Oh well, anything that gets copies of Preacher into more hands is worthwhile.

I'm very eager to see how this show turns out. While I stopped reading after the first trade, I was convinced by others that the one trade with the lousy drawing was a one-off and the entire series is drawn by Steve Dillon. After hearing that, I'm tempted to go back and start reading the series from the beginning.

So far, the trailers have made it look pretty promising.
    Previously: Deep_Sleeper. Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    Love the works of comic book artists - Stuart Immonen, Olivier Coipel, Kev Walker, Valerio Schiti, Esad Ribic, Jerome Opena and so many more great comic book artists

Newbie Member

Default That's the way adaptations go

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    So people can then watch the show and get confused because it's not like in the comic?

Oh well, anything that gets copies of Preacher into more hands is worthwhile.
    Anyone smart enough to enjoy PREACHER will be smart enough to know that any adaptation from one medium (comics) to another (television) is going to have to change things simply for storytelling reasons in order to work for the new medium. Pacing, structure, the dramatic needs of television... all different between the two mediums.

One of the reasons Garth Ennis has cited for being enthusiastic over Rogen & Goldman's plans for the show. They knew without being told that you can't just film the book. What's needed is to take the comic and translate it into a tv show. Previous attempts at adaptation apparently didn't get that, wanting to make too literal an adaptation; a pointless exercise.

What's going to be interesting is when people who read the comic watch the show... and start to realize that in some cases they like it better than the comic. Nobody's expecting that, but it's going to happen for certain.

Newbie Member

How we can get one of these free copies? there is not enough information.