Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Joshua Hale Fialkov Dooms Marvel's "Ultimate FF"

With "Ultimate FF" in its home stretch, Joshua Hale Fialkov tells CBR about welcoming Doctor Doom into the core cast -- and who might join him.

Full article here.

You know what this had a lot of potential to be great but it had some flaws going against it. The art wasn't bad but they needed a bigger name like Steve McNiven or Ed McGuinness or any other big name to start this off, someone who would get people to read it just on name alone. But honestly my biggest complaint is that Fialkov never explained anything, the team was never set up or explained how they all came together as a team or how they figured out all this was going on, we just jump in after whatever brought them together.

But those are only two problems, it does have a great story, great writing, good use of continuity, and even amazing characters. I'm actually sad to see this go.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I like Fialkov's enthusiam here but I am glad he's getting a different artist. Araujo is an improvement at least. It will be interesting to see what happens when Ben sees Victor is still alive.
    Squad name: Steel Divine Duke

That headline though
    "'I am that which is, which was, and is yet to come! And you will know my name is Megatron when I lay my vengeance upon you!'"

Meant to post this is this read, but it ended up in the other one:

Wow. Its a real shame this is getting axed so early. His pitch of Doom being the new step dad that Reed hates is exactly the idea I thought an Ultimate FF title should be. He seems to have a lot of ties going back through all of his contributions thus far. Hopefully he'll get a mini where he can condense all the stuff down to the bare necessities and at least eave his mark the way he wanted to. Do whatever you must to get it to sell. Crack the story with Bendis so you can get his name on the cover. Give it a title that will grab people, like Ultimate Fantastic 4: Reassembled, and just make it a 4 or 5 issue arc to get out all the crazy big ideas. Maybe the sales can justify the launch of an ongoing. Ultimate 4 maybe?

It's a shame we won't get more of these crazy sci-fi stories exploring the continuity of the Ultimate Universe.

Also, how is there only one Negative Zone in the entire Multiverse and how does that make sense with the N-Zone from the Ultimate Universe?
    Axis UncannyAvengers UncannyXMen XFactor XForce Magneto Loki GhostRider Nightcrawler SpiderMan2099 RocketRaccoon SecretSix Saga Wicked+Divine Low

This sucks.

I thought in Ultimate U, dead meant dead? Why even bother anymore...

I am very disappointed in how the Ultimate writers (in general) have treated Reed Richards. I was a fan of the Ultimate Fantastic Four books, and to me, the Ultimate Doom storyline just didn't make sense at all, and during the fight with Galactus, they tried to present a rationale of why he went crazy which had holes in it. And now they bring back Ultimate Doom -- something that disappoints me because the Ultimate Marvel Universe is known for killing off characters, and NOT bringing them back (which I didn't always like, but it was better than the continuous resurrection mill in the standard Marvel universe). Frankly, if the Ultimate Universe needs a sci-fi series, I'd rather see one that focuses on Reed Richards alone rather than the Ultimate FF.

Quote Originally Posted by jhnshft View Post
    I knew they would cave on that idea at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by jhnshft View Post
    What are you referring to here? This has been said a thousand times before, 'dead means dead' has never really been absolute.

Quote Originally Posted by Gildren View Post
    I am very disappointed in how the Ultimate writers (in general) have treated Reed Richards. I was a fan of the Ultimate Fantastic Four books, and to me, the Ultimate Doom storyline just didn't make sense at all, and during the fight with Galactus, they tried to present a rationale of why he went crazy which had holes in it. And now they bring back Ultimate Doom -- something that disappoints me because the Ultimate Marvel Universe is known for killing off characters, and NOT bringing them back (which I didn't always like, but it was better than the continuous resurrection mill in the standard Marvel universe). Frankly, if the Ultimate Universe needs a sci-fi series, I'd rather see one that focuses on Reed Richards alone rather than the Ultimate FF.
    I loved Evil scarred Reed. It was a neat spin.

Quote Originally Posted by Gildren View Post
    He clearly stated that Doom had goat legs, and the guy who was killed in Ultimatum did not, therefore it was an imposter, or perhaps a Doombot, a trope that has been used a million times in the 616 universe.

Boy what a **** tease that article was. It was all about what is now a what could have been that Fialkov was telling. I know last Fridays Axel in Charge mentioned or teased something about the Ultimate Universe coming later on, but the cancellation of of Ult FF I'm sure really sucked for the Ultimate offices. Because now they have only two street level books. One is fine, two is too many for me if your not going to have a book that focuses on the big cosmic universe challenges. So many open ended stuff now that Fialkov set up that may not ever get resolved or followed up on. There is only one Galactus and I'm sure he won't be in the Negative Zone forever which means Thor will eventually return. You've got where Kang went to try and fix whatever she is trying to fix, still don't think Cap is dead. X-Men stuff, who did Ben kill. It's all just really frustrating to fans like me that have followed the UU from the beginning. Argh!
    Last edited by Mjolnir; 06-25-2014 at 01:26 PM.

The first time a character died and came back in Ultimate Marvel was Beast around roughly six years ago. That "rule" was thrown out the window years ago
    "A journey of a thousand miles, begins with a single step."

"With great power, comes great responsibility."