Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default REVIEW: Superman, #32

Geoff Johns & John Romita Jr's "Superman" #32 boldly reminds readers just how awesome the Man of Steel can be and present the kind of story they've been wanting all along, faithfully interpreting and dynamically illustrating the character.

Full review here.

You had me at "Laura Martin".

I'll do the same thing I did when JRJ took over Captain America....wait for my store's 25 sale before I pick up any of his issues. Hate his artwork and won't pay full price for it, even though I'm dying to read John's take on Superman.

This was a good opening issue, but I think the reviewer exaggerates the supposed difference now that Johns is onboard. This isn't a Superman people have been waiting all the New 52 for, if anyone's been reading Action Comics. And in terms of personality, this Superman isn't drastically different at all...not even from Lobdell's. This reads as exactly what it is, the opening salvo of a new creative team. There's nothing about this issue that reads like a reboot at all, pseudo or otherwise.

Spadassin Extraordinaire Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    This was a good opening issue, but I think the reviewer exaggerates the supposed difference now that Johns is onboard. This isn't a Superman people have been waiting all the New 52 for, if anyone's been reading Action Comics. And in terms of personality, this Superman isn't drastically different at all...not even from Lobdell's. This reads as exactly what it is, the opening salvo of a new creative team. There's nothing about this issue that reads like a reboot at all, pseudo or otherwise.
    Yeah, I was wondering about that comment, because to me, the idea of a "reboot" implies some form changes, and there's litterally nothing different right now from Superman's previous situation (the whole "Ulysses" thing is way too early to tell if it's going to be that ignificant).
    Then again, going with the review in general, I kinda get the feeling I haven't read the issue this review did.
    First sign of trouble...Someone goes out on a stretcher. And it won't be me.

Great story telling as to be expected by Romita. He's always been good at setting mood and emotion, good overall artist all around and never gets lazy background art. The coloring was superb as well. The new logo, text, writing, all make up for one refreshing complete package.

Romita draws a strong, masculine, mature looking Clark. Little details like the glasses keeping the classic round shape while making them modern make a noticeable difference. Was not a fan at all of the scrawny Clark being drawn earlier by previous artists with the huge Harry Potter glasses, which seemed very try hard and sort of redundant. The new character is interesting in design and origin and I look forward to that. The Human-Superman vs Alien-Superman aspect looks promising.

The story was gave a very sci-fi vibe which I loved. Only thing I would have asked for is more story, but overall no complaints.

Maybe the reviewer was just happy that it's not Lobdell anymore, though I think people go overboard with their Lobdell criticisms sometimes.

Sure, this is just the first issue of a new creative team. It wasn't groundbreaking in shaking things up. However, I have read each creative team's interpretation of the Man of Steel and it hasn't been anything I've liked so far on the main book. Action Comics wasn't really for me but that isn't to say it was bad. Just didn't keep my own personal interest. Superman/Wonder Woman and the Smallville continuation comic are really the only two Superman books I was picking up and one was out of continuity. This is the first time in a very long time that I have a feeling of hope about the future of the main Superman title. This just gave some really good characterization in regards to Supes himself and I loved having that interchange between him and Perry. I am NOT fan of Lobdell, everything I've read of his in the Nu52 has just not been good at all. Do not tell me to read it because I just will not. I am just happy that there is a feeling of what I was used to in a Superman main title again is all.

And, for now, that sense of hope and just enjoying a story that has a character closer to the pre-52 Supes being written is all I need.

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    Maybe the reviewer was just happy that it's not Lobdell anymore, though I think people go overboard with their Lobdell criticisms sometimes.
    Yeah, I was thinking that might be the case. 4.5/5 seems awfully high for an issue that was just okay and mainly a lot of setup. I get the feeling if the issue was exactly the same but someone else other than Johns' name was on the cover it probably would have been rated lower.

I was waiting for this superman, and I know people that were waiting for this Superman.

The rating was pretty fair. It lost some time on the origin of another character that is very superman like, what I didn't like very much.

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    Yeah, I was thinking that might be the case. 4.5/5 seems awfully high for an issue that was just okay and mainly a lot of setup. I get the feeling if the issue was exactly the same but someone else other than Johns' name was on the cover it probably would have been rated lower.
    It's the hope, the reviewer probably got the rating more on potential than the story in the 20 pages

I was waiting for this superman, and I know people that were waiting for this Superman.
    I can't imagine why since we've been getting this guy in Action Comics steadily since the New 52 began. That was my point, that there was nothing drastically different that Johns did here that we haven't seen before from him in the New 52, so for the reviewer to pretend otherwise was just hyperbole in his review.

I know I've been citing Johns's Reddit AMA all day, but once again there's something relevant here.

http://www.reddit.com/r/DCcomics/com...ue_and/cigardu

Huge relief for me.

Spadassin Extraordinaire Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    It's the hope, the reviewer probably got the rating more on potential than the story in the 20 pages
    So, you're saying he reviewed the book not on what he was, but on what he hope it will become?
    Do you have any idea how wrong this is?
    First sign of trouble...Someone goes out on a stretcher. And it won't be me.

Quote Originally Posted by Auguste Dupin View Post
    So, you're saying he reviewed the book not on what he was, but on what he hope it will become?
    Do you have any idea how wrong this is?
    Review something is not a accurate thing. sometime the reviewer let the excitement cloud his judgement. or whatever. I don't know what is going on with the reviewer

I can't imagine why since we've been getting this guy in Action Comics steadily since the New 52 began. That was my point, that there was nothing drastically different that Johns did here that we haven't seen before from him in the New 52, so for the reviewer to pretend otherwise was just hyperbole in his review.
    maybe I wanna mean this kind of story that seems to develop what is wrong with new 52 Superman. But I won't call this sup is the same from action #1 sup
    Last edited by Blacksun; 06-25-2014 at 04:35 PM.