Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default CBS Would've Considered Renewing "Supergirl" if the CW Hadn't Already Picked it Up

Addressing the show's movie, CBS says "Supergirl" could've been renewed at the network, had the CW not taken on the series.

Full article here.

Veteran Member

More empty PR talk. If CBS wanted the show, it would have renewed and kept the show on its schedule. It's really easy to say all this after the fact and after Supergirl was picked up by the CW. Please, don't insult our intelligence, CBS.

Quote Originally Posted by solletaire View Post
    More empty PR talk. If CBS wanted the show, it would have renewed and kept the show on its schedule. It's really easy to say all this after the fact and after Supergirl was picked up by the CW. Please, don't insult our intelligence, CBS.
    My thoughts exactly. The only reason CW even got Supergirl is because CBS passed on it. I think if networks (co-owned ones at least) could just renew a show before the other got a chance we would see stuff like this a whole lot more often.
    Pull List: Everything DC. Plus the all of the X-Men books, Deadpool, Invincible, The Walking Dead, and various other titles I can't think of at the moment.

Is he saying that the CW was given a chance to pick up the show before CBS had a chance to really think about whether or not they wanted a 2nd season?
    That makes 0 sense.

It sounds like CBS was never fully on board with this show to begin with. They just sort of dumped it off on the CW because they finally decided they didn't want it anymore. I'm still bothered we can only seem to get super-hero shows on networks owned by comic book companies.

Newbie Member

Picking it up with a small order to be used as a mid-season replacement. Ugh.
    I'm glad it's on CW and hope they move it to Friday nights to avoid splitting the audience with Gotham (which is what CBS should've done).
    My week: Flash / Arrow / Legends / Supergirl.

Newbie Member

Fox owns DC?

Sounds like he's just trying to save face, pretending that someone else just came in and took the show from them. I get the sense CBS just wanted it off their hands because they had all these other shows they were trying to squeeze in. Supergirl was getting in the way of that. Why else would they put it in a time slot that competes directly with Monday Night Football?

I think Supergirl belongs on the CW, given all the other successful superhero shows it has going right now. It's the same network that made Smallville a hit. I think it can do the same for Supergirl.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

What y'all don't seem to realize was the Supergirl was never in much danger of being cancelled. Those of use who have been following the renew/cancel indexes know that the show was never even on the bubble.

Thrashing Like a Maniac! Gotham Thrasher's Avatar

Shoulda, Coulda , Woulda...
    Make Mine DC!

Magick is Everywhere

Default Corporate doublespeak in effect...

Yeah that's just Moonves going into "CYA mode". He's afraid that if "Supergirl" gets the 8 PM Monday slot on CW next to whatever show they'll put on CBS and it gets smoked in the ratings. It'll look bad for the suits at CBS that they went for a cheaper show with similar ratings and it didn't work out.

Magick is Everywhere

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    It sounds like CBS was never fully on board with this show to begin with. They just sort of dumped it off on the CW because they finally decided they didn't want it anymore. I'm still bothered we can only seem to get super-hero shows on networks owned by comic book companies.
    CBS wanted "in" on the superhero TV show table, that's why they wanted "Supergirl" on CBS. Had it been on CW, the budget would've been vastly different; then again the overall quality of the show would've been different as well.

At least on the CW, Supergirl could potentially run as long as Arrow. I tend to doubt that possibility if it stayed on CBS.
    "Ignore them. They're nothing but a bunch of basement dwellers who spend all day whining on the 'net. Not a single open-minded one in the bunch."
    --Andre Briggs, Justice League International #1

This doesn't sound like double-speak - I mean, I'm willing to believe that TV execs always speak in double-speak but this sounds straightfoward to me. It sounds like "If we couldn't have gotten the move to the CW worked out, we might have renewed it on CBS with the smaller budget. But it worked so we didn't need to worry about it."

Remember how the CW couldn't pick up Constantine and didn't even really try because there wasn't a spot on their schedule for it and it didn't really fit their model? That's what this reads like - if the CW couldn't have made room for Supergirl, then CBS might have picked it up with the smaller budget and given it a try for one more season. But the CW could pick it up and will likely be a better home for it. If Supergirl's ratings carry over or only drop a bit to the CW, that would make it if not the top rated show then the second-highest rated show on the network. That's a recipe for a long-running series that can make money for CBS for years as they have an ownership stake in CW. If Supergirl goes back to CBS and has ratings like it did at the end of this season or even see a mild uptick, well, it's one more season and then done.

Rookie Member

Quote Originally Posted by tbplayer59 View Post
    Picking it up with a small order to be used as a mid-season replacement. Ugh.
    I'm glad it's on CW and hope they move it to Friday nights to avoid splitting the audience with Gotham (which is what CBS should've done).
    My week: Flash / Arrow / Legends / Supergirl.
    And then just imagine a 4-part crossover in one week of shows!