Super Moderator

Default REVIEW: Justice League, #50

In "Justice League" #50, Geoff Johns and Jason Fabok wrap up the epic "Darkseid War" with big sacrifices, big hero moments, big action and big revelations.

Full review here.

"...not one character feels shorted..."

Well, not like Shazam did anything despite being the "God of Gods." If I were a fan of his I don't know that I'd have been happy with his appearance in this story.

This is a 5 out of 5? No way. This was just cramming too much into one issue, which is NO excuse given that there were filler issues and it took at least 10 issues to tell this story. Assessing that all the stories being tied up in this one issue "may be a little rushed" is a polite way to describe that they were indeed, not maybe, rush jobs when they didn't need to be.
    Last edited by NYCER; 05-28-2016 at 09:22 AM.

Invincible Member Sacred Knight's Avatar

Johns' gross misunderstanding and tampering with Kirby's concepts is an automatic three-star removal for me. He talks about legacy but he has no problem trampling on the legacy of ideas that aren't his own. I have no problem with Darkseid being "reborn", but as essentially Alexander Luthor II? Stupid. Killing off Metron? Stupid. And where in the hell is Orion? The fate of the father is instristically tied to the son, its a core concept, yet is completely ignored in a story that features a death and rebirth of Darkseid.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 05-27-2016 at 04:49 PM.
    They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son. - Jor-El.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Johns' gross misunderstanding and tampering with Kirby's concepts is an automatic three-star removal for me. He talks about legacy but he has no problem trampling on the legacy of ideas that aren't his own. I have no problem with Darkseid being "reborn", but as essentially Alexander Luthor II? Stupid. Killing off Metron? Stupid. And where in the hell is Orion? The fate of the father is instristically tied to the son, its a core concept, yet is completely ignored in a story that features a death and rebirth of Darkseid.
    I'm surprised Johns didn't have a splash page of Orion being cut in half!
    Follow your inner moonlight, do not hide the madness. -Ginsberg

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post

Well, not like Shazam did anything despite being the "God of Gods." If I were a fan of his I don't know that I'd have been happy with his appearance in this story.
    It's not even the fact that he did nothing. It's the fact that they went to the trouble of giving him a new powerset, making a special about it... And taking that powerset away from him three issues later without even mentioning it. Except for a half-panel of breathign fire, Billy didn't feel different. At all.

ETA: I mean... They gave him Yuga Khan's control over the SOurce (Whatever that was). One would think that, in a miniseries called "Darkseid War", wielding the powers of the title character's father would be at least mentioned.

This was a trainwreck. It started good, lost a bit of itself in the middle. But this ending is complete shit.
    Last edited by Patrick_C; 05-27-2016 at 08:42 PM.

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

Well there is clearly a divide between critics and fans on this lol I enjoyed it I'd probably have given 4/5 most.
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post

He got an amazing one shot so worth being here for that alone.
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

the issue has been fine in a way ..

-Darkseid resurrection
    -Darkseid Attacking the heroes, all useless.
    -The New king of Apokolips
    -Spectacular death of Owlman and Superwoman.

But they have left behind Lena Luthor, Aquaman(he left in a preview of Darkseid War attacked by parademons) and something else.. And DC repeated too many times in severals comics the Superman's death, is tiring ..

About Shazam I'm not a fan of this character but I do not understand why he leaves the Justice League..
    Last edited by adrikito; 05-28-2016 at 03:04 AM.

Well, I thought it was decent - fairly well-made, but the mishaps with the New Gods gets it a detraction: 3/5 stars.

Quote Originally Posted by Baggie_Saiyan View Post
    The one-shot was great - but the problem is that all that good work seems to have been thrown out the window with the last issue of DarkSeid War - Billy has now lost those powers.

And it was indeed odd that his Yuga Khan -powers never came into play, at all! The story was about Darkseid and the New Gods, after all.

The Darkseid war dragged on for way too long.
    Now this own issue rushes to restore everything, ánd clear the deck for DC Rebirth.

And as usual, the JL stand around or fight, but they are never key players in their own book. The supporting characters or the villains are.
    In this case, the bipolar Amazon and the ugliest-ever baby

Quote Originally Posted by Baggie_Saiyan View Post
    I didn't read that, but I feel the same away about the "Green Lantern" one-shot. Hal became the "God of Light," resurrected the fallen Green Lantern Corps who had been killed by parademons, then was able to give up his godhood because he knew he wasn't a god. It would have been interesting had they mentioned his experiences wielding near-omnipotent powers before as Parallax and the Spectre, but I guess that would have been too random for newer fans. If you just read the JLA issues, you never would have even known Hal had become a god as well. And it makes sense how he was able to help Batman get out of the chair since he had just refused godhood.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I'm surprised Johns didn't have a splash page of Orion being cut in half!
    I just don't think Johns is a good fit for the New Gods.

Astonishing Member

I think more should have been done with the AM & Darkseid.

Grail kind of devolved in the end.