Super Moderator

Default PREVIEW: Captain America, #22

The Tomorrow Soldier part 1
    • This is it! The final chapter of the story that begin in Dimension Z!
    • After the Earth shattering events of last issue how can Steve Rogers survive his new situation?
    • Two of his oldest foes move forward their plot! Enter Arnim Zola and The Red Skull!
    • A face from the past hunts Steve. Can even The Avengers keep him safe?

Full article here.

This is a frightening development of Dimension Z. The last portal connecting Earth and DZ was in a tunnel under the Subway, but now its opened in Central Park. We may assume the person who emerged later and got the location of his target, is Steve Rogers Son, who will find Steve an old man, and be surprised to have to dispose of someone so weak and frail. He may meet his sister, Jet Black and they have a fight over whether to kill Rogers for father, until some sense can be knocked into him.

I suppose this makes the FF's Negative Zone portal pale into insignificance now that Zola opens a portal whenever he likes, so punishing the FF seems a bit of overkill, now. I do wonder, if portals are to become common, that the Avengers haven't shot themselves in the foot targeting heroes, when villains are doing the same thing with impunity. I do wonder if the Red Skull/Xavier has been effecting the government and Avengers to distract them and the FF away from the DZ event?
    Last edited by jackolover; 06-26-2014 at 06:57 AM.
    Texas and San Francisco 2014

What is with the expositive narration? I mean. I think I could have gotten what is happening just with the pictures. There is no need for the narration!

Yeah, and the person in the armour is most likely Ian. Who will become the new weilder of the shield in 4 issues from now. Come on...do something better. I believe we had a new person handling the shield a little while ago...anybody remember Bucky?

I have dropped all my comics to only ones that involve Caption America. To save money, I just worry that this might have been a terrible decision. Please...please make Caption America a decent comic.

Quote Originally Posted by zadakeem View Post
    What is with the expositive narration? I mean. I think I could have gotten what is happening just with the pictures. There is no need for the narration!
    Remender's been experimenting with using old-school omniscient narration. He used it in the first year of Uncanny Avengers, dropped it since then, but seems to have brought it back here. It's mostly a way of getting storytelling out of the way quickly, e.g. the narration tells us about the doorway to another dimension and what it is, so the characters don't have to explain it in dialogue.

I enjoy it. Comics have a ton of narration now but it's almost all first-person (i.e. thought balloons in disguise). This is something a little different, at least.

Quote Originally Posted by zadakeem View Post

Yeah, and the person in the armour is most likely Ian. Who will become the new weilder of the shield in 4 issues from now. Come on...do something better. I believe we had a new person handling the shield a little while ago...anybody remember Bucky?

I have dropped all my comics to only ones that involve Caption America. To save money, I just worry that this might have been a terrible decision. Please...please make Caption America a decent comic.
    Is this intentional or simply the best relevant typo ever?

I'm fine with exposition narration. Sometimes.

As a Claremontism in 70s/80s X-Men or flashback stories, I adore it. As a novelist himself, Claremont really can craft words into beautiful, meaningfull exposition without seeming OTT.

I think the first person narration of today is the best way of finding a middleground. It's driven by the protagonist, and gives insight into the character. Plus the character-specific boxes, like with Cap's shield in Brubaker's run, look really neat and modern.

Yellow boxes, though? It irks me. It's such an anachronism that it leaves me thinking "hey, remember the Simonson issue where we open with Thor in the park?" It's bad. Really really bad and it just leaves the comic as a nostalgic mess, rather than moving forward.

When the exposition is in few words and seamlessly integrated, it's a work of art. Think Hickman's Avengers.

I like Remender's Cap but I'm a few issues behind, and this doesn't make me want to read a few more issues.

I think it is best if the industry continually innovates and tries new things and things that have fallen out of favor. One of my favorite aspects of the Wonder Woman comic is that there are zero thought boxes, everything is done via dialogue. It is a breath of fresh air from normal comics, which have come to be dominated by first person narration.