Page 1 of 41 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 604
  1. #1
    Hi-Fi Fight Club Dolores - The Worst Poster Ever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Vinyl Mayhem
    Posts
    2,889

    Default Keeping track of Post-Rebirth Superman sales

    As title of the thread suggests, this thread is to keep track of and comment on the sales of the Superman line after the relaunch. Whatever your feelings about the current direction, good sales are more likely to help the Superman line than hurt it in the good run.

    We we won't have the numbers for print sales until a month from now, but we do have some info on digital sales.

    Superman Rebirth #1 is the 4th best selling of the day on Comixology, even selling more than Civil War 2 #1. Other new comics of note that it's outselling are All-New, All Different Avengers, Invincible Iron Man, Amazing Spider-Man, Old Man Logan. These comics chart well digitally, placing close to Ms. Marvel when they are released on the same week, so it's fair to say that Superman Rebirth is off to a great start in terms of digital sales.

    It's placement in the digital charts, means it sold at least a 1000 copies digitally on its first day.

    If some of you are wondering how I got that number when digital numbers aren't released, it's actually quite simple. Comixology has a best sellers list which keeps track of the best selling comics on a daily basis. There are 1004 comics on the list, meaning the the 1004th comic on the list has to sell at least 1 copy to make in onto the list, the 1003rd comic the list has to sell at least 2 copies to be ahead of the 1004th comic, etc. This means the 4th comic on the list, Superman Rebirth #1 has to have sold at least 1000 copies in order to secure it's placement on the list.

    As I said, this is a good start for Superman in terms of sales. It's not the first time the Superman books have charted this well digitally, but selling more than Civil War #2, Spider-Man, Avengers, and Iron Man is an achievement.
    Last edited by Dolores - The Worst Poster Ever; 10-05-2016 at 07:53 PM.

  2. #2
    Incredible Member SuperCrab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    820

    Default

    Disappointing to see it selling well. Let's hope the numbers drop quick or we'll be stuck with SuperDad and SuperJon for a long time. If sales figures do well, Jon might even stick around through reboots and become part of the long-term Superman cast (Barf). But since this was just the first issue, there could be a strong curiosity factor from past readers who drifted away and new readers, both of whom might jump as/when they see whats actually going on.

    I disagree with the idea that good sales are good news for everyone who cares about Superman. Its not like if sales plummet, we'll never see a Superman comic again. They'd just be forced to retool or reboot and take a different tact- and probably a better one than this.
    Last edited by SuperCrab; 06-03-2016 at 02:46 PM.

  3. #3
    Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Don't Know Anymore
    Posts
    3,117

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SuperCrab View Post
    Disappointing to see it selling well. Let's hope the numbers drop quick or we'll be stuck with SuperDad and SuperJon for a long time. If sales figures do well, Jon might even stick around through reboots and become part of the long-term Superman cast (Barf). But since this was just the first issue, there could be a strong curiosity factor from past readers who drifted away and new readers, both of whom might jump as/when they see whats actually going on.

    I disagree with the idea that good sales are good news for everyone who cares about Superman. Its not like if sales plummet, we'll never see a Superman comic again. They'd just be forced to retool or reboot and take a different tact- and probably a better one than this.

    You do realize how childish that is dont you? Hoping for a book to fail because its not going thr direction you personally want it to go. Seriously!?


    Well I for one have already told my LCS to add all of the Super-books to my pull list.


    Also i'm afraid as a whole more people are looking forward to reading the Superman Rebirth titles then being sad Nuperman is gone.


    So just know while you wallow in your anger thousands of others will be supporting these books you despise. ;p
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

  4. #4
    Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Planet Houston
    Posts
    4,196

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SuperCrab View Post
    Disappointing to see it selling well. Let's hope the numbers drop quick or we'll be stuck with SuperDad and SuperJon for a long time. If sales figures do well, Jon might even stick around through reboots and become part of the long-term Superman cast (Barf). But since this was just the first issue, there could be a strong curiosity factor from past readers who drifted away and new readers, both of whom might jump as/when they see whats actually going on.

    I disagree with the idea that good sales are good news for everyone who cares about Superman. Its not like if sales plummet, we'll never see a Superman comic again. They'd just be forced to retool or reboot and take a different tact- and probably a better one than this.
    Yeah, sorry I have to agree that is childish. It's just as bad as some of the people who were rooting for Nuperman's failure sales wise 5 years ago because hr wasn't wearing the trunks.if you don't like it, don't read it. Simple as that.

    Oh and don't be so sure If sales tank DC will still publish Superman comics. I really do think the character and franchise is at the point that if we end up with bad sales for much longer you just might see the Superman line drastically cut down or just canceled outright for a time.

    Case in point, Fantastic Four at marvel. It has been one of Marvel's poorest selling of their main franchises and everyone just assumed because of its status as Marvels flagship book that started the modern marvel universe it would always be published regardless of sales. If it can happen there it can happen with Superman.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

  5. #5
    Invincible Member Sacred Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    12,008

    Default

    #1s will always sell well, that's why Marvel always releases new #1's every chance they get. DC's just now catching on. It would have been something absolutely unheard of if a main Superman title's #1 sold poorly. In any case, I will admit I want all of Rebirth to fail. And its not because its not what I want. Superman isn't, but a lot of other stuff, in fact most other stuff, seem more or less fine for now. But for now is the key word, and leads to the why of my mindset. I don't trust the regime. I think they're bad for these characters. I think they're damaging the brands more than they're helping them. I think they're threatening the very publishing division of DC, to be perfectly honest. People will scream at me "hyperbole" but I really don't think so at this stage. I just want them gone and another failure on their watch could be all that stands in the way of at least one major shakeup, but hopefully more. That's where I come from on the whole success or failure thing. Its not about individual story ideas that I like personally. That will always wax and wane. I just want the characters under competent leadership is all. And whether you're a fan of Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash, GL, whatever, DC has not had this in a very long time. That's just common knowledge at this point.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 06-03-2016 at 04:20 PM.
    They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son. - Jor-El.

  6. #6
    Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Don't Know Anymore
    Posts
    3,117

    Default

    Even bad leaders can make good decisions at times. And Rebirth seems to be one of them, sacrificing a whole initiative in hopes people you dont like will get the boot is just as bad.

    I for one support good comics, and of Rebirth can continue to give us such I will support the heck out of it .


    As for DC stopping Superman books all together, yea never gonna happen. The only reason Marvel stopped Fantastic Four is because they dont have the movie rights to it. Which is ridiculous.


    But yea, glad the first issue did well, hope the trend continues.
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

  7. #7
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    24,287

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    Yeah, sorry I have to agree that is childish. It's just as bad as some of the people who were rooting for Nuperman's failure sales wise 5 years ago because hr wasn't wearing the trunks.if you don't like it, don't read it. Simple as that.

    Oh and don't be so sure If sales tank DC will still publish Superman comics. I really do think the character and franchise is at the point that if we end up with bad sales for much longer you just might see the Superman line drastically cut down or just canceled outright for a time.

    Case in point, Fantastic Four at marvel. It has been one of Marvel's poorest selling of their main franchises and everyone just assumed because of its status as Marvels flagship book that started the modern marvel universe it would always be published regardless of sales. If it can happen there it can happen with Superman.
    But with the FF, there was also the added issue of Marvel not having the movie rights, which was another incentive not to publish anymore Fantastic Four comics. It's why the FF have basically no media presence anymore alongside the X-Men, because Marvel doesn't want to promote or push properties they don't have the movie rights to.

    By comparison, Superman still features in cartoons, animated movies, live-action films, and his cousin is now starring in a popular live-action TV show heading to the CW. And we've got multiple books in the line coming out in contrast to to just the one FF book out before the big cancellation.

    Superman is still a valuable IP for DC Comics, even if some of the creative decisions surrounding the line seem questionable.
    Last edited by Frontier; 06-03-2016 at 04:39 PM.

  8. #8
    Invincible Member Sacred Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    12,008

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GreenLanternRanger View Post
    Even bad leaders can make good decisions at times. And Rebirth seems to be one of them, sacrificing a whole initiative in hopes people you dont like will get the boot is just as bad.

    I for one support good comics, and of Rebirth can continue to give us such I will support the heck out of it .


    As for DC stopping Superman books all together, yea never gonna happen. The only reason Marvel stopped Fantastic Four is because they dont have the movie rights to it. Which is ridiculous.


    But yea, glad the first issue did well, hope the trend continues.
    Their problem has always been follow-thru. So I'll relent that they might have had one good idea if by next year we're not hearing of massive rewrites to the main Rebirth narrative. Some changes, okay, that comes with the territory. Unforeseen circumstances and all that. But Trinity and Forever Evil type rewrites and it'll be the same old story. Not prepared to give them any sort of credit nor be an apologist for them anymore till I see some tangible results in that arena.

    With that said I'll never say I hope something fails just because I don't want a fan of said content to be happy. That's not even close to my motivation here and never would be. I've been on both sides of the fence, I know how negativity can be irritating because by its very nature its unpleasant. I myself would MUCH rather be in my usual optimistic, positive role. But hey, first world problems and all that, eh? But if anything I hope people know that criticisms from my end are just therapeutic for me at this point and not meant to rain on the individual personally.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 06-03-2016 at 05:56 PM.
    They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son. - Jor-El.

  9. #9
    Incredible Member SuperCrab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    820

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GreenLanternRanger View Post
    You do realize how childish that is dont you? Hoping for a book to fail because its not going thr direction you personally want it to go. Seriously!?
    I don't think it's childish at all. It would be childish if there was a separate book featuring the new52 Superman without a superhero son that I could enjoy, and I was just trying to rain on the parade of others who had their own separate book suiting their preferences. However, since DC Comics has decided that, like Highlander, there can only be one, and who that one is depends partly on sales, I am hoping that the vision I don't like fails so that the vision that I do like, or an all-new vision I might like better than the new status quo, will be given a chance.

    Well I for one have already told my LCS to add all of the Super-books to my pull list.


    Also i'm afraid as a whole more people are looking forward to reading the Superman Rebirth titles then being sad Nuperman is gone.


    So just know while you wallow in your anger thousands of others will be supporting these books you despise. ;p
    Now, with all due respect, *that* seemed childish.

    Interesting that supporters of a 10-year old superhero are tagging those who don't like him as childish.

  10. #10
    Incredible Member SuperCrab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    820

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    Oh and don't be so sure If sales tank DC will still publish Superman comics. I really do think the character and franchise is at the point that if we end up with bad sales for much longer you just might see the Superman line drastically cut down or just canceled outright for a time.
    Right now, Superman is published twice monthly, Action Comics is published twice monthly, and soon there will be the twice monthly Justice League comic and the once monthly Trinity comic, both of which include Superman. So, we are ramping up to seven issues of Superman stuff a month, not counting limited run miniseries. Could they cut down on that if sales plummet? Absolutely. Would I be okay with that happening if it facilitated good changes and a status quo I could enjoy, with the possibility of production ramping back up in the future? Absolutely. I'll take Superman or Action Comics once a month publishing a Superman I like and that being the only Superman book over a zillion books, some double shipping, that don't feature what I want to read- although I doubt the drop-off in titles would be that extreme. Keep in mind this is a publisher with 50ish issues a month of various things that they publisher- it's unlikely that sales could drop enough that they wouldn't give some version of Superman an issue or two and try to retool fan and consolidate all the fans around one book and see if that works. It's outsell the bottom third of their books based on name recognition alone, I'd imagine.

    Basically, there is a lot they can cut back on as a reaction to slower sales, before they hit no titles at all. Even if they cut back to one title with a retooled Superman, plus Justice league, and the retooled title failed, they might keep him in Justice League, or retool again. Heck, I think Superman is so iconic that if DC Comics in general packed up shop, Marvel or some other publisher would try to license him and see if they could revive interest.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    #1s will always sell well, that's why Marvel always releases new #1's every chance they get. DC's just now catching on. It would have been something absolutely unheard of if a main Superman title's #1 sold poorly.
    Good point. Things may be different sales wise once the storylines start and people see what they are getting. #1s attract a lot of collectors and fans with certain hopes. Eventually, as the series progresses, the collectors fade a bit (#7s aren't as valuable as #1s), as do some of the people who have their hopes dashed (My feeling is that not everyone who bought that Rebirth #1 or who buys the Superman #1 in a couple weeks is going to be buying it expecting a book with a big focus on Superman's immediate family and a lot of point of view thought bubbles from his superson- I wonder how many of the casual comic store book people know that Tomasi has described the book as featuring Lois and Jon as much as Superman, with a lot of it being told from Jon's point of view, and the first few issues being mostly being quiet tales about their family dynamic. I expect to see drop-off after say #3 of that title when it's Jon focus becomes obvious, that gets even more pronounced if the second arc doesn't change gears. Action Comics' first arc since more Superman vs. Luthor vs Doomsday focused- which I could see retaining an audience, because it's in theory more classic Superman and not this family stuff (That may not be true inside the issues themselves, or on subsequent arcs, but all signs point to it possibly being the case for the first arc, at least).

    Of course, many casual fans read Superman because it's Superman, and don't necessarily know that Action Comics is a Superman title. Superman almost always outsells Action Comics. It'll be interested here, because, with Action Comics getting the better story points in the first arc, it's sales may not be nearly as far behind the Superman title as usual.
    Last edited by SuperCrab; 06-03-2016 at 05:59 PM.

  11. #11
    Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Don't Know Anymore
    Posts
    3,117

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SuperCrab View Post
    I don't think it's childish at all. It would be childish if there was a separate book featuring the new52 Superman without a superhero son that I could enjoy, and I was just trying to rain on the parade of others who had their own separate book suiting their preferences. However, since DC Comics has decided that, like Highlander, there can only be one, and who that one is depends partly on sales, I am hoping that the vision I don't like fails so that the vision that I do like, or an all-new vision I might like better than the new status quo, will be given a chance.



    Now, with all due respect, *that* seemed childish.

    Interesting that supporters of a 10-year old superhero are tagging those who don't like him as childish.


    It is childish, hoping for something to fail because you dont like it is very crude, self-absorbed and childish.

    I mean for example, I don't care for The Walking Dead TV show. But do I want it to fail just because I dont like it? No. Thousands of people do like it and me wanting it to die because I dont like it would be silly.
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

  12. #12
    Astonishing Member vasir12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    2,173

    Default

    This thread is going about as well as I expected. Good to see that Rebirth is doing well. Obviously, it'd be high but beating Civil War digitally is an achievement. Hope it continues cause the one shot were already really good. Personally, I thought Green Arrow was the best but #7 is still good.

  13. #13
    Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Don't Know Anymore
    Posts
    3,117

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vasir12 View Post
    This thread is going about as well as I expected. Good to see that Rebirth is doing well. Obviously, it'd be high but beating Civil War digitally is an achievement. Hope it continues cause the one shot were already really good. Personally, I thought Green Arrow was the best but #7 is still good.
    Yea, sadly we can't have a positive thread about Superman anymore it seems. *sigh* But yea overall I thought all the first week Rebirth books were enjoyable to some degree, and am glad to see them doing well, hopefully the trend continues!
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

  14. #14
    Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Planet Houston
    Posts
    4,196

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SuperCrab View Post
    I don't think it's childish at all. It would be childish if there was a separate book featuring the new52 Superman without a superhero son that I could enjoy, and I was just trying to rain on the parade of others who had their own separate book suiting their preferences. However, since DC Comics has decided that, like Highlander, there can only be one, and who that one is depends partly on sales, I am hoping that the vision I don't like fails so that the vision that I do like, or an all-new vision I might like better than the new status quo, will be given a chance.



    Now, with all due respect, *that* seemed childish.

    Interesting that supporters of a 10-year old superhero are tagging those who don't like him as childish.
    So someone who doesn't hate Jon Kent with the same white hot hatred you do and perhaps may want to give the concept a fair shake before outright condemning it because any success of this puts getting things your way at risk, is childish.

    Good to know.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

  15. #15
    Ultimate Member Ascended's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7,218

    Default

    Sales were always going to be high for this, and they'll stay high for a while, no matter what the quality is like.

    Beating out Civil War is surprising though.

    What I will be interested to see are the numbers in about 4-6 months. With double shipping, I guesstimate that we'll start to see where the books level out by then. The numbers right now are going to be inflated, so the average rate of attrition compared to other Rebirth books and the point where the decline stops and levels out is what will actually matter.
    Higher, Faster, Further....More.

    Discipline = Freedom.

    Invincible: The greatest superhero comic in the universe!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •