Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

The green flames are an essential part of Alan's look. If you lose that, you've lost one of the foundations for the whole character. I think the contrast between the green and red is also very important. I also like how John Byrne used to depict Alan's cape in an almost Dracula/Batman-esque manner. It was nearly all black, with hints of purple and the green underlining.

Looked great.

And I shall shed my light on the dark things...for the dark things cannot stand the light...the light of...The Green Lantern!

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Oooo, I loves me some George Freeman Alan Scott art. His Secret Origin tale with Roy Thomas is the definitive Alan Scott origin story for my money.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Oooo, I loves me some George Freeman Alan Scott art. His Secret Origin tale with Roy Thomas is the definitive Alan Scott origin story for my money.
    I've always enjoyed the retelling of Alan's origin from Green Lantern Corps Quarterly #1, 1992, as part of a series of flashbacks.

"Why do the trunks not "hold up with the times"? What exactly is the problem with them? And don't tell me "nobody wears them" because nobody dresses in a blue body suit and red cape and boots either.

It's a superhero costume. It's the original superhero costume. It's not real clothing, it's not bound to the ever-changing fashion trends of real life. It's nothing like real life clothing. How exactly can it become outdated?"

From the same issue, there's also a page of vignettes from Alan's career as GL up to that point:
    "Why do the trunks not "hold up with the times"? What exactly is the problem with them? And don't tell me "nobody wears them" because nobody dresses in a blue body suit and red cape and boots either.

It's a superhero costume. It's the original superhero costume. It's not real clothing, it's not bound to the ever-changing fashion trends of real life. It's nothing like real life clothing. How exactly can it become outdated?"

Quote Originally Posted by andersonh1 View Post
    I've always enjoyed the retelling of Alan's origin from Green Lantern Corps Quarterly #1, 1992, as part of a series of flashbacks.

That Dusty Abel art is great!

From Secret Origins #18 (September 1987)

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    From Secret Origins #18 (September 1987)

This has always been my favorite depiction of Alan's origin. Would love to see this recolored with today's digital palate.