Super Moderator

Default PREVIEW: Captain Victory and the Galactic Rangers, #1

Joe Casey is one of the industry's most popular writers having written for Marvel and DC, from The Uncanny X-Men to Superman, and many more best-selling titles, and most recently created and writes the acclaimed Sex series from Image Comics! Now he is tackling one of Jack Kirby's greatest creations, Captain Victory! And this story will Blow! Your! Mind! Out of the hell of a cosmic firefight, Captain Victory is launched into an epic adventure that spans both space and time! All your favorites are here -- as well as all-new enemies to face! Your new favorite cosmic comic book has finally arrived!

Full article here.

Not too thrilled with the art, but I am looking forward to this.
    Michael Pilgaard, fanboy at large

Im all over this. I really dug Casey and Fox on Haunt so im psyched to see them back together.
    If Haunt was anything to go by, and adding in the fact that its a Kirby concept, this is gonna be nuts!

Casey has been pastiching Kirby for a while. Godland, sure, but Catalyst Comix as well.

He's one of my absolute favorite writers in in the biz. I can not wait for this.

The art is a deal breaker for me. Very amateurish, especially the humans. No way I buy this based on the preview art.

I think Kirby is so far beyond most other creators that they should really just stop trying to continue his post-1970 ideas. Nobody can capture the magic. Not to mention Kirby's work is totally bombastic. He was trying to create gods and god-like heroes, not bumbling antiheroes with feet of clay. I don't think much of today's public is buying what Kirby was selling when he created all those characters.

The first series Dynamite did of Captain Victory was great, the whole Kirby-verse idea was great, but this book's art looks so bad I may just pass on it as a whole. I can stomach a book that has mediocre writing if the art is strong, but I can't stomach a book with great writing that sports bad art. I just can't. I'll flip through it at the comic book store before I make my final decision but as of right now I believe I'll be passing on this series.
    Twitter - @BslyTheGamerGuy

Official Blog - Http://Bslydarksky.blogspot.com 8/11/14 - A retrogaming reiew of ASTYANAX for the NES!

Wow. I mean, I know that art is subjective, but are we all looking at the same pictures here?

Joe Casey is not "One Of The Industry's Most Popular Writers" and the artist for this book doesn't know how to draw a human face better than an amateur
    Where the Titans of Classic Comics Speak http://classiccomics.boards.net/

The (rebooted) Savior Flash Gordon's Avatar

I've really been looking forward to this. The last series suffered from some of the worst art I've ever seen, so even if this ain't so pretty it's still an improvement.
    Had a really nice marriage, but got retconned and now she doesn't even want to get coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by thewarning View Post
    Wow. I mean, I know that art is subjective, but are we all looking at the same pictures here?
    I concur.

You people are mad. Mad i say!

Quote Originally Posted by ish kabbible View Post
    Joe Casey is not "One Of The Industry's Most Popular Writers" and the artist for this book doesn't know how to draw a human face better than an amateur
    There are a number of artists represented in that preview, and an equal number of styles.

You guys do know what style is, right?

I agree that the art is poor, it looks like the only thing that can save this is a good plot by Casey.

And if this is the artists style than thanks but no thanks.
    Twitter - @BslyTheGamerGuy

Official Blog - Http://Bslydarksky.blogspot.com 8/11/14 - A retrogaming reiew of ASTYANAX for the NES!

I really dug what Casey did with Catalyst Comix, and some of the people he worked with there are on that list of artists, so I'll check it out.
    I've only ever heard of this character, never read it. So I dont bring any comparisons to the table.

That said, this art looks great! But the people upset because the art style is a little cartoony or comicy and not whatever realism they seem to want, they really need to go back and look at Kirby art again.
    Yes this is different, because to make it imitative would be a little cliche and uninspired. But there are and were plenty of critics of Kirby that levelled the same attacks about drawing faces et al at him (remember that DC were redrawing his Superman pages before they went to print). I bet the styles of the artists on this book will be a better spiritual fit than the 'realistic' style that previous versions of captain Victory have had.