Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default PREVIEW: The Legendary Star-Lord, #1

Spinning directly out of the pages of Guardians of the Galaxy and just in time for the highly anticipated summer blockbuster - the notorious interstellar outlaw is striking out to swindle and swashbuckle his way across the galaxy in search of big adventures and even bigger scores. Expect a battle with the Badoon, a fight to save an orphanage, not to mention a little flirting with Kitty Pryde of the X-Men - and that's just the FIRST ISSUE!

From the cold abyss of deep space to the seedy alien underworld, deadly forces await around every turn - and the Star-Lord stands alone. As the brazen outlaw prepares to strike out on a new journey, no fan can afford to miss the continuing adventures of the leader of the Guardians of the Galaxy. An epic new adventure begins right here - if he lives that long! Hang on dear reader, as Sam Humphries & Paco Medina take you out of this world when THE LEGENDARY STAR-LORD #1 explodes onto comic shop shelves and digital devices this July!

Full article here.

count
    me
    in

Remember when Peter Quill was a space cop. Apparently Marvel does not remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevel8182 View Post
    I'm pretty sure he will be in space for the most part. Except for when he has to go see... sigh... Kitty Pryde

Quote Originally Posted by Drakeon View Post
    I'm pretty sure he will be in space for the most part. Except for when he has to go see... sigh... Kitty Pryde
    Bendis is too much of a Pryde fanboy isn't he?

This preview doesn't do much to instill faith about the book or Quill's character going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevel8182 View Post
    Haven't you heard? Marvel characters are now mostly based off of their movie/TV versions.

Isn't Kitty Pryde a little young for him?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Odd Man View Post
    Isn't Kitty Pryde a little young for him?
    Kitty is in her mid-late 20's now.
    She's been aged up for quite awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Ceebiro View Post
    Bendis is too much of a Pryde fanboy isn't he?

This preview doesn't do much to instill faith about the book or Quill's character going forward.
    For such a fanboy he can't write right a lot of times. Maybe this book will be better at it.

Impressive creative team!
    'Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light'

So they cut out his earth dad? That's messed up.
    And why do the Badoon have Skrull mouth?

Quote Originally Posted by Blade X View Post
    Haven't you heard? Marvel characters are now mostly based off of their movie/TV versions.
    This. Please ignore the fact that the people who learned about these characters through the movies/tv series aren't buying or reading the books.

If even 1% of the people who watched Avenger bought the book monthly how many issues would it sell?

Quote Originally Posted by autbey View Post
    This. Please ignore the fact that the people who learned about these characters through the movies/tv series aren't buying or reading the books.

If even 1% of the people who watched Avenger bought the book monthly how many issues would it sell?
    You do realize that people who read the comics also watch the movies, right? Not everyone was into Star-Lord before he was a thing.

Man, I really like the blue and yellow armor (especially in that cover). Not sure if I like it more than the Annihilation uniform, but I still dig it.

I'm excited that Star-Lord is getting his own book, but I'm lukewarm toward Sam Humphries' involvement. Paco Medina is a great catch, though.

I understand the allure of keeping the comic characters in line with their movie counterparts just in case moviegoers transition to the comic store. At the very least it gave us a closer incarnation of the Annihilation helmet. What I don't like is there is no in-story explanation of the transition. The element gun he has in the GotG #0.1 issue looks nothing like this movie-based version and yet there was no explanation that the gun ever changed.

I feel like the Han Solo-meets-Seth Rogen personality is entertaining to a lot of adolescent and college-aged viewers but I prefer the Han Solo-meets-Captain America. I get that he lost his mother at a young age and grew up in foster homes but unlike the movie (where I believe he ends up in space as a child) he grows to adulthood and works his way into the space program. That takes a certain level of character strength that the "Stumble-Lord" persona doesn't seem capable of.