OML is not "better" than young Wolverine. It's just that they're writing OML better than young Wolverine, when all they had to do was put that same creativity and energy into writing young Wolverine to keep him from getting so stale.
Some good ones in here, but here are 5 for me:
1) I think people take continuity way too seriously for an art from (rotating writers/artists) that makes continuity mostly just restrictive. So what if they ignore some backstory or what not? Give the writers freedom IMO. I rarely find continuity rewarding (ie OMG so awesome, they mentioned that 16 years ago and just referenced it!!!!). And some of the best storylines have been "alternate" timelines simply because the freedom from continuity makes it much more exciting and creative.
2) I think that aside from a few small pockets in time, Emma Frost is a way better villain
3) I think the X-Men should be in their own separate universe from the rest of Marvel
4) I think the X-Men lack intimacy/relations. Like seriously we been reading about characters for 30 years and aside from a few, most are still single and their relationships are so under developed its practically non-existent. I'm not even a "shipper" of anything or anyone, just think its stupid to have so many characters that are mostly devoid of sexuality (except for their scantily clad outfits). Cyclops/Emma for example was one of the best bright spots in X-Men history, as it really fleshes out characters.
5) I think there are too many X-Men books
- I dislike 90% of the mutants created after the Jim Lee era. Chamber, X-23 and Tempus are the exception.
- Logan is overrated. It's a good movie but not that good.
- The outback era is overrated.
Last edited by RCX; 03-20-2017 at 02:52 PM.
Yeah, that's not just unpopular...that's crazy talk.
People who hate the out back era in x Men.
Crazy talk also.
Out back days gave us the brutal Reavers, Jubilee, dazzler kicking butt, and the Seige perilous etc
Opinions that may be unpopular:
-The unnatural lifespans of characters in the x-universe stifles any real growth the characters would naturally have to go through. The O5 should all be retired by now, most of the original villains too and their kids should be wearing the costumes now
-The X-men books suffer from being mostly bought by Gen X'ers while all the feedback Marvel hears is from Post-Millenials. No wonder no ones happy.
-Beast is editorials presence and opinion on panel which is why he's generally hated
-Jean deserved to have her ass dumped during Morrisons run. Telepathic my ass.
-Xavier was the worst mentor ever. How he talked and what he did were two totally different things. Don't any of the x-men remember how he actually behaved when their waxing nostalgic? I think Cyke killing him during AvX was more about his repressed feelings about what Charles put them all through than it was about the PF.
-Bendis is a rabid Cyclops hater. You can see it when he writes about Tyke's self-loathing. You can't make that stuff up.
-Kitty as a leader of the x-men is laughable. It shows you the state of the franchise when she's the best the writers could come up with. Her tempermant and argumentative nature reminds me alot of Thunderbird. We can only hope she meets a similar fate.
Here are a few opinions that may be unpopular:
-X-men Schism was good and could have set up an interesting future for the x-men if not for the dumpster fire that was AVX and Bendis's run on X-men.
-Bringing back the O-5 is one of the wort story ideas of any x-men run ever.The fact that none of the older versions of those characters have had any changes to them as a result is ridiculous and almost makes the story hard to read.
- The stepford cuckoos, jean grey, emma frost,psylocke are all highly ineffective telepaths because they all crossed paths with Steve Rogers and none of them picked up on him being a hydra double agent ( I know it is for story reasons but it really drives me crazy that there are like 20 telepaths in the marvel universe and not one is able to tell steve is now evil.)
-Cyclops was better when he was the boy scout type leader of the x-men, his time as a "villain" was neither interesting or well thought out.
-Bobby Drake has been damaged as a character by Marvel's recent stories-Not because of the change to his character but because of how it has been handled since it's revelation- Bobby being lgbt is now the only thing that the character is used for in X-stories. Other than changing who he is attracted to there has been zero character development with Bobby since that issue. Extraordinary X-men did not use him at all and the only time he showed any actual characterization was him coming out to anole. Similarly the only time he got used in All new X-men was to have a hamfisted romeo and juliet story with an inhuman and visiting a bar to pick up a date, it has gone from being part of who he is to being the only time he is shown in a story, essentially bobby has become a more popular version of Northstar. This could have been a really interesting story but instead has made bobby a more one dimensional character than before.
-Extraordinary X-Men was not great but wasn't nearly as bad as some people make it out to be.
-The Cullen Bunn Magneto series was the best X-book of the last 10 years.
- Storm's costume from Extraordinary X-men was her best costume ever.
- Old Man Logan is a great character but is still not better than the real 616 wolverine
-Kitty pryde is a great character but is so overrated at this point that she is hard to take serious in X-books because the all seem like they written by hard core Kitty fanboys. She has no business leading an X-team when storm is on the same team.
-X-23 and Angel are actually a decent couple(even though I really don't like the whole O-5 story)
-Inverting Sabretooth was a great idea.
Last edited by regg215; 03-20-2017 at 05:13 PM.
DC-Mr. Miracle, Big Barda, Batman, Green Arrow, Black Canary, Superman, Wonder Woman, Cyborg, Flash(Barry), Deathstroke
Marvel- Thor (Odinson), Wolverine(Logan), Storm, Daredevil, Elektra, Mr. Fantastic, Invisible Woman, She-Hulk, Spider-Man (Peter), Vision
Again, that's just me sitting here looking at my collected hardcovers in my office and thinking back on stories over the years. There are many, many other times where he's gotten his ass handed to him, often to show how badass another character is and establish him/her as a threat. I'm not going to do exhaustive research on every instance or provide citations for you. I don't have the time or inclination, or care that much to be honest. But I've been a Wolverine fan for a long time and have him seen him get smoked way too many times for my liking.
Has younger Logan also kicked plenty of ass? Sure. Of course. Lots of it. That's why I was always a fan. And some of the folks mentioned above got theirs from him in the end too. But OML has also kicked his share of ass, quite decisively I might add. 616 Logan never decapitated the Red Skull, with his greatest enemy's shield of all things, for example. Badass. Or killed an entire gang of inbred "lesser Hulks" only to later kill the Hulk himself. Also bad-freakin-ass. Face it, OML is awesome. If they keep him around long enough, I'm sure they'll ruin him too and continue having him job to folks regularly just like younger Logan did. The perils of having the ability to heal I guess...
...regardless, we'll agree to disagree and move on. Looks like I'm not as alone as I thought in thinking OML superior, so maybe not such a controversial opinion after all. But there are many more who still prefer the younger version. And more still who like neither version. Everyone has an opinion. I've given mine.
Last edited by Jackraow21; 03-20-2017 at 08:49 PM.