Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Results 61 to 70 of 70

Thread: Dracula Untold

  1. #61
    Senior Member Pyrebomb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    436

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    I dunno man. It sounds like you were wanting a history documentary. Im pretty sure Vlad Tepes couldnt hammerfist armies with a giant cloud of bats lol, but it looks entertaining to me. Plus its a fairly unique take on the story instead of just rehashing the same old victorian era stuff for the billionth time. I can look past the silliness and just enjoy it for what it is.
    Not at all. But I don't know why you would go to the effort to incorporate those elements into the story and then get them completely wrong. And it really irks me reading that producer's constant inane assertions about how her writers "actually got this or that part right" when they didn't even come close. But hey, this is the woman who raged for a month after walking out of Disney's Pocahontas at 10 years old, so. *shrugs*

    Basically, it has been done. And from what I'm reading, it's been done better. Not just in the 2000 made-for-TV movie and the book it was based on, but in the Castlevania video games. (Which is really sad because story has never been their strong point, but at least their Vlad was an asshole even as a human.) Honestly, how they keep throwing around the phrase "heroic tale" bothers me more than the historical inaccuracies. Even if I completely ignore the historical figure of Vlad Tepes and focus solely on Stoker's portrayal of Dracula, it does not fit. Also that they didn't want to make a vampire film? Why would you decide to reboot Dracula and then say, "But oh no, we don't want it to be about vampires." (Of course, she keeps throwing around praise for Twilight, which was another awful vampire film that wasn't actually about vampires, so I'm not surprised.)

    I'll probably still see it because I'm curious enough, but I'm preparing for disappointment.

    Edit: I guess what I'm really trying to say is this. There is a lot of talk about how we're inundated with reboots and origin stories as of late, but another trend has been to take a story and tell the villain's side. I'm a strong believer in the concept that the villain is always a hero in his own mind and I often gravitate towards grey area villains more than heroes. Most of my favorite supervillains are the ones constantly stuck in the face-heel revolving door. But even I am getting sick of it at this point. Why can't we have a bad guy who is bad for purely selfish reasons? It's sad when they've become so rare that I actually start to miss them.

    The producer states straight out that this isn't meant for people wanting to see a movie about Vlad Tepes. But it doesn't seem to be for people who want to see a movie about Dracula, either. So I'm left wondering who they think the audience is.
    Last edited by Pyrebomb; 09-06-2014 at 05:23 AM.
    SHSO: Polite Earthen Despair

  2. #62

    Default

    ....This looks promising I wonder if he has a Demon form cause they keep showing giant wings before turning into bats.

  3. #63
    Spectral Member Ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    371

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by simbob4000 View Post
    Historically accurate Vlad was vampire. What, you didn't know?

    A lot of this reminds me of that USA TV movie from 2000 mixed with Dracula. Bram Stoker's Dracula does it too, but when I look at that trailer I'm really reminded of the USA TV movie.


    I never saw the USA tv version. I'll have to check it out.

  4. #64
    Spectral Member Ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    371

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pyrebomb View Post
    Not at all. But I don't know why you would go to the effort to incorporate those elements into the story and then get them completely wrong. And it really irks me reading that producer's constant inane assertions about how her writers "actually got this or that part right" when they didn't even come close. But hey, this is the woman who raged for a month after walking out of Disney's Pocahontas at 10 years old, so. *shrugs*

    Basically, it has been done. And from what I'm reading, it's been done better. Not just in the 2000 made-for-TV movie and the book it was based on, but in the Castlevania video games. (Which is really sad because story has never been their strong point, but at least their Vlad was an asshole even as a human.) Honestly, how they keep throwing around the phrase "heroic tale" bothers me more than the historical inaccuracies. Even if I completely ignore the historical figure of Vlad Tepes and focus solely on Stoker's portrayal of Dracula, it does not fit. Also that they didn't want to make a vampire film? Why would you decide to reboot Dracula and then say, "But oh no, we don't want it to be about vampires." (Of course, she keeps throwing around praise for Twilight, which was another awful vampire film that wasn't actually about vampires, so I'm not surprised.)

    I'll probably still see it because I'm curious enough, but I'm preparing for disappointment.

    Edit: I guess what I'm really trying to say is this. There is a lot of talk about how we're inundated with reboots and origin stories as of late, but another trend has been to take a story and tell the villain's side. I'm a strong believer in the concept that the villain is always a hero in his own mind and I often gravitate towards grey area villains more than heroes. Most of my favorite supervillains are the ones constantly stuck in the face-heel revolving door. But even I am getting sick of it at this point. Why can't we have a bad guy who is bad for purely selfish reasons? It's sad when they've become so rare that I actually start to miss them.

    The producer states straight out that this isn't meant for people wanting to see a movie about Vlad Tepes. But it doesn't seem to be for people who want to see a movie about Dracula, either. So I'm left wondering who they think the audience is.
    Yeah I played the Castlevania LoS games. It was kindof similar. Enjoyable, but goofy story at times. Also, technically it wasnt Vlad Tepes, but Gabriel Belmont (same thing more or less). There are probably many similar stories since everything is inspired by something. Thats generally how creativity works.. reinterpreting some preexisting thing or idea through your own perspective, basically.

    I agree that usually the best villains are those who believe in their own minds they are heroes. But like you said sometimes pure unabashed villainy has its place too. The Dark Knights version of Joker seemed to benefit from not having his past really explained, even the old Darth Vader seemed more bad*ss before they showed his descent in the prequels.

    Who knows, maybe the film will be terrible. I'll at least give it a shot. Id really like to see Universal develop the monster universe they keep whispering about. Luke Evans (Dracula actor) had this interesting tidbit:
    spoilers:
    "After this movie finishes the story finishes in a very, it’s like an open book where can he go. He’s immortal, he’s a lonely man, he can’t go back to his family; he can’t be around anybody he’s been around so it could go anywhere."
    end of spoilers

  5. #65

    Default

    Movie looks good , lots of action I hope ...

  6. #66
    Senior Member Pyrebomb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    436

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Yeah I played the Castlevania LoS games. It was kindof similar. Enjoyable, but goofy story at times. Also, technically it wasnt Vlad Tepes, but Gabriel Belmont (same thing more or less). There are probably many similar stories since everything is inspired by something. Thats generally how creativity works.. reinterpreting some preexisting thing or idea through your own perspective, basically.

    I agree that usually the best villains are those who believe in their own minds they are heroes. But like you said sometimes pure unabashed villainy has its place too. The Dark Knights version of Joker seemed to benefit from not having his past really explained, even the old Darth Vader seemed more bad*ss before they showed his descent in the prequels.

    Who knows, maybe the film will be terrible. I'll at least give it a shot. Id really like to see Universal develop the monster universe they keep whispering about. Luke Evans (Dracula actor) had this interesting tidbit:
    spoilers:
    "After this movie finishes the story finishes in a very, it’s like an open book where can he go. He’s immortal, he’s a lonely man, he can’t go back to his family; he can’t be around anybody he’s been around so it could go anywhere."
    end of spoilers
    I stared at this for five minutes going, "Who is Gabriel?" Then laughed for another five minutes when I realized you were talking about the Castlevania reboot in a thread about a Dracula reboot. And I'm probably the only person who finds that funny. But yeah. I can't speak to Lords of Shadow. Haven't owned any of the consoles it was available on, haven't played it. But in the original Castlevania series that spanned from 1986 to 2009-ish, he was definitely Vlad Tepes. At least until 2003's Lament of Innocence, which muddied the waters a bit. I think the main reason they decided on a reboot was that they'd jumped around in time and retconned so much stuff with how the original progressed (with the time that the first was released, I doubt they ever thought they'd have a series) that the story was really just starting to fall apart. Case in point: LoI took place near the end of the original's run but was actually the origin story. In it, the Dracula figure (still human, at this point) is named Mathias Conquist (possibly inspired by Matthias Corvinus) and is a fellow high-ranking official in the Crusades who screws you over to become the King of the Vampires. The official setting of that game is a good three centuries before the historical Vlad Tepes lived, so it's assumed he took on that name at some point. I mean, I've got dozens of playbooks released both before and after that list a Vlad Tepes Dracula.

    With regards to them rebooting the entire monster franchise and letting the characters interact like they did back in the day, that just confuses me more. Why go to such trouble to make a character who has always been a selfish dickbag sympathetic when you have characters like Frankenstein's monster and the Phantom of the Opera who have always been sympathetic and will fill the role better? (I don't even know if I dare hope for a Leroux-based PotO movie. They'll either muck it up or ALW will try to claim copyright or something hilariously awful will go wrong. Maybe they'll hire Dario Argento as director.) But there isn't really any point talking about the sympathetic villain vs. absolute a-hole thing any more. Until the movie actually comes out, we're just spinning in circles.
    Last edited by Pyrebomb; 09-08-2014 at 01:16 AM.
    SHSO: Polite Earthen Despair

  7. #67
    Spectral Member Ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    371

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pyrebomb View Post
    I stared at this for five minutes going, "Who is Gabriel?" Then laughed for another five minutes when I realized you were talking about the Castlevania reboot in a thread about a Dracula reboot. And I'm probably the only person who finds that funny. But yeah. I can't speak to Lords of Shadow. Haven't owned any of the consoles it was available on, haven't played it. But in the original Castlevania series that spanned from 1986 to 2009-ish, he was definitely Vlad Tepes. At least until 2003's Lament of Innocence, which muddied the waters a bit. I think the main reason they decided on a reboot was that they'd jumped around in time and retconned so much stuff with how the original progressed (with the time that the first was released, I doubt they ever thought they'd have a series) that the story was really just starting to fall apart. Case in point: LoI took place near the end of the original's run but was actually the origin story. In it, the Dracula figure (still human, at this point) is named Mathias Conquist (possibly inspired by Matthias Corvinus) and is a fellow high-ranking official in the Crusades who screws you over to become the King of the Vampires. The official setting of that game is a good three centuries before the historical Vlad Tepes lived, so it's assumed he took on that name at some point. I mean, I've got dozens of playbooks released both before and after that list a Vlad Tepes Dracula.
    I assumed you were referring to the Lords of Shadow games since theyre the most recent, and do seem to have some similarities to (what we know of) the story in Untold. In the trailer he even does the whole exploding punch into the army mass thing.



    Castlevania series was cool but like you said I dont think they ever planned on it lasting as long as it did. Story got pretty convoluted after awhile.

  8. #68
    Senior Member Da Boat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    213

    Default

    Some of the things in this look good, others look pretty bad.

    Passing Dracula off as a this noble Prince is terribly unappealing to me. I mean he could be a complex Warlord, this I can take. But this guy comes off as someone that's straight from a daytime soap.

    I like the idea of an epic Dracula story linking the real Warlord to the vampire mythos in a way that Bram Stocker's Dracula only brushed upon.

    But him turning into the guy from The Mummy after transformation is laughable. A giant fist of bats? *faceplam* I know Universal wanted to repeat the Mummy but they had something decent but they had to screw this up. They seem to have the budget to do a great epic but chose The Mummy instead of LOTR.

    I guess Alex Proyas saw the writing on the walls and abandonned ship. I wonder what happened with the Voyage of the Demeter?

  9. #69
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    662

    Default

    Mental control over swarms of various animals, including swarms of bats, is a power given to him by Bram Stoker. The movie guys didn't make it up.

  10. #70
    Senior Member Pyrebomb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    436

    Default

    Da Boat never said it wasn't in his power-set. Just that how it was realized has become a visual cliche. Ghost even mentioned it being in the Castlevania games the post before.
    SHSO: Polite Earthen Despair

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •