Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Box Office: "Transformers" Boasts Biggest Opening Day of the Year

"Age of Extinction" brings in $41.6 million domestically on Friday, with its eye set on a $100 million plus opening weekend.

Full article here.

I am losing faith in humanity.

only just now?

Quote Originally Posted by NateDizzy View Post
    I am losing faith in humanity.
    Another term that has been abused often. Really of all the things to lose faith in humanity in, like Zimmerman getting off scott free, a dumb movie making money is the straw that broke the camels back for some people?

I'm not surprised that it made money. It's a summer movie, it's Transformers, and it has Michael Bay. I've even listed the reasons why people even watch his movies. I'd actually be more surprised if he had a TF film that bombed in theaters. Not critically but financially

Quote Originally Posted by Legato View Post
    I'm not surprised that it made money. It's a summer movie, it's Transformers, and it has Michael Bay. I've even listed the reasons why people even watch his movies. I'd actually be more surprised if he had a TF film that bombed in theaters. Not critically but financially
    Just out of interest, what would you like done to make a better Transformers film, damn the critical and finacial success, jsut quality?

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Knight View Post
    Just out of interest, what would you like done to make a better Transformers film, damn the critical and finacial success, jsut quality?
    I've pretty much made peace with the fact that human characters are going to pop up in the movie but I'd like to see a TF film where the human characters are interesting enough that I don't mind that they pop up in the movie. They sort of got it right with Marky Mark and Kelsey Grammer but the rest felt like bland generic characters. Especially the daughter and her boyfriend. I wouldn't mind if the next Bayformers film actually had a female protagonist that is more layered and isn't there as a generic damsel in distress/love interest/cheesecake prop.

I'd also like to see the robots have their own distinct personalities that sets them apart from others. And I'd like the fights to be shot more clearer. Pacific Rim is how I see what you get when you have a robot fight done right.

I don't understand how these films are such box office successes yet I don't know anyone that actually watches them.
    “Nothing is harder to understand than a symbolic work. A symbol always transcends the one who makes use of it and makes him say in reality more than he is aware of expressing.”
    ― Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by doctormistermaster View Post
    I don't understand how these films are such box office successes yet I don't know anyone that actually watches them.
    Same, with every blockbuster (be it action movie or animated movie for kids) I know plenty of people that go to see them, but with transformers? Literally nobody I know goes to see them.

Edit: I know that its normal that I don't know everybody, but its still fucking strange.

Quote Originally Posted by Legato View Post
    I've pretty much made peace with the fact that human characters are going to pop up in the movie but I'd like to see a TF film where the human characters are interesting enough that I don't mind that they pop up in the movie. They sort of got it right with Marky Mark and Kelsey Grammer but the rest felt like bland generic characters. Especially the daughter and her boyfriend. I wouldn't mind if the next Bayformers film actually had a female protagonist that is more layered and isn't there as a generic damsel in distress/love interest/cheesecake prop.

I'd also like to see the robots have their own distinct personalities that sets them apart from others. And I'd like the fights to be shot more clearer. Pacific Rim is how I see what you get when you have a robot fight done right.
    Fox and this girl both rescued the men as much as the men rescued them in these movies. Plus I'd wager a lot of females went specificly for mark walberg. Or at least were willing to tag along with their boyfeiends/husbands because of him.
    "Drewbacca?"

I'm sorry I was expecting shadayim

It's a big budget kids movie about a bunch of giant robots fighting each other and blowing stuff up based on a toy line. Shocked it made money.

I know plenty of people that go to these. They just turn off their brains and enjoy the visuals.

Moderator / Bounty Hunter ABH-1979's Avatar

There has only been one Transformers movie. It came out in '86, it was animated, and it was really sad when Optimus died...

Still, based on the previews, this new movie does look a little better than the other ones. I'm sure I'll watch it, at some point.
    Detective Comics - Batman and Robin - Batman - Grayson

Quote Originally Posted by Kid A View Post
    I know plenty of people that go to these. They just turn off their brains and enjoy the visuals.
    That and stuff blowing up and robot combat. Not a mystery why these films are successful TBH.

Quote Originally Posted by ABH-1979 View Post
    There has only been one Transformers movie. It came out in '86, it was animated, and it was really sad when Optimus died...

Still, based on the previews, this new movie does look a little better than the other ones. I'm sure I'll watch it, at some point.
    It has Marky Mark so that is a step up for me.