Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    Eh, it still was Winick's idea and since he was the person who brought him back, I think is fair to try to expand on it.
    Expand on it to what exactly?

Bruce took Jason, not only because he could fight but moreso because of wits, grit and survival on his own. Jason eating a Mac doesn`t translate into not being able to fend for himself without Bruce, it`s just there to ilustrate how rough Gotham Streets are and that he lives in it. And that obviously he wouldn`t be able to eat mac meals everyday. That`s the realistic part of it. And yet he could make money and isn`t a walking skeleton.

I`d say that Jason`s ability to adapt and his instinct to survive are almost second to none among the family and that makes him execptional. None of the others were initially picked up based on something so raw.

Not to forget either that Bruce (yes, even before his death) Talia and Ducra have all mentioned how much a fast learner Jason is. I do hope Loedbell/Soy manage to incorporate Ducra and her teaching there - no reason it wouldn`t fit whatsoever - because that gave him something right in the reboot that brings world building: an especific teacher whose physolophy he ends up soaking and respect into himself.

There`s a chance his new teacher and Nigthwing will have a fallout (almost written in the wall) but Ducra is a great adittion to Jason`s mythos and a litle great character exactly because as moody Jason can be, he undoubtedly respected Ducra on a personal level and in my view perhaps in some ways more than even Bruce. Because she wasn`t Bruce mostly, so he could respect her lack of bias towards himself.

They don`t need to feature as much as they did before, but references to Jason`s particular brand of skills will be welcomed due to being another thing setting him apart. Here`s for the All Caste.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Tzitzimine View Post

Soy knocked out of the park as well with a ton of fantastic looking pages that perfectly complimented Lobdell's script. No doubt having a great colorist helped. Gandini's idea of using washed out colors so Jason's red would stand out more was a a brilliant one. I wouldn't mind if the trend continue on upcoming issues but that might clash with Artemis and Bizarro's color schemes. We'll see I guess but right now I'm pretty confident in this art team.

Oh and the best part? The expressive helmet is gone!

Anyhoo, we're off to a fantastic start and I couldn't be more happy about that.
    Btw, a passing mention to this. This artistic team needs to stay for a good run. I already knew Soy but Gandini`s color pallette was what caugh my eye the most on a visual level. It just pops you in and it`s expressive. The red cues need to stay as part of the books identity.

Favorite (bat) Rebirth book launch for a start.

Eh, it still was Winick's idea and since he was the person who brought him back, I think is fair to try to expand on it.
    No since Winnick isn't the creator of Jason or the one who calls the shots on where his character goes. Ultimately who makes the final decision is editorial and there's nothing that points to them interested/willing on address that idea. If anything they've shot down it by introducing different former girlfriends/flings and possible romantic interests for Jason in Gabby and Isabel.

Playing devil`s advocat, he would still meet girls if he was bi.

Regardless that`s a writting tool that works depending on execution and willingness to adress it. I don`t have a preference other than being well written but I don`t think there`s much room in this sort of title for that when you barely saw Gabby or Isabel.

Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    Expand on it to what exactly?
    To finally execute the idea obviously.

No since Winnick isn't the creator of Jason or the one who calls the shots on where his character goes. Ultimately who makes the final decision is editorial and there's nothing that points to them interested/willing on address that idea. If anything they've shot down it by introducing different former girlfriends/flings and possible romantic interests for Jason in Gabby and Isabel.
    I don't see the problem here. Gail Simone didn't create Catman either and she was the one who made him Bisexual which was ultimately approved by editorial recently. Is most likely that at the time DC didn't want to go along with Winick's idea but considering recent events, they are probably more willing to do so.

Also, a little hint, being Bi is not the same as being Gay. Jason can be attracted to both men and women so the last few romantic interests being girls doesn't mean that he can't like the other gender.

This was an excellent book and the best Rebirth issue overall IMO. I think it might just be the best issue Lobdell as written thus far even. Lots of good stuff here. The art was stellar on this one and I hope that Soy and Gandini continue to work together. I think they compliment each others work nicely. So many vreat moments here as well. I think my favorite part was the flashback near the end when they were talking about the trophies in the Bat Cave.I found the following quote of particular interest:

"They're touchstones. A way to keep track of where you've been...so you don't lose your way to where your going."

I think it's interesting to note that in the following present day scene we see Jason standing by a bookshelf that contains some "trophies" of his own. A tire from the Batmobile. His Robin "graduation" picture. And his Red Hood. Did anyone else catch that?
    Aftershock: Alters/Captain Kid/Revisionist/Rough Riders
    DC: Action/Batman/Birds of Prey/Blue Beetle/Deadman/Doctor Fate/Doom Patrol/Earth2/Flash/Gotham Academy/Green Lanterns/Hawkman & Adam Strange/Midnighter & Apollo/New Super-Man/Nightwing/RHATO/Shade:TCG/Supergirl/Superman/Super Sons/Titans/Trinity/Vigilante
    Valiant: 4001AD/Archer & Armstrong/Bloodshot Reborn/Bloodshot USA/Britannia/Divinity/Faith/Generation Zero/Harbringer Renegades/Ninjak/Rai
    Viz: Boku no Hero Academia/ Owari no Seraph

Quote Originally Posted by JasonTodd428 View Post
    This was an excellent book and the best Rebirth issue overall IMO. I think it might just be the best issue Lobdell as written thus far even. Lots of good stuff here. The art was stellar on this one and I hope that Soy and Gandini continue to work together. I think they compliment each others work nicely. So many vreat moments here as well. I think my favorite part was the flashback near the end when they were talking about the trophies in the Bat Cave.I found the following quote of particular interest:

"They're touchstones. A way to keep track of where you've been...so you don't lose your way to where your going."

I think it's interesting to note that in the following present day scene we see Jason standing by a bookshelf that contains some "trophies" of his own. A tire from the Batmobile. His Robin "graduation" picture. And his Red Hood. Did anyone else catch that?
    I think Loedbell mentioned this volume would be packed with easter eggs like that, that was a favorite panel! I enjoy writers still not forgetting that Jason enjoys reading and first editions which didn`t necessarily start with Winnick.

That quote is all sorts of cool.

I don't see the problem here. Gail Simone didn't create Catman either and she was the one who made him Bisexual which was ultimately approved by editorial recently. Is most likely that at the time DC didn't want to go along with Winick's idea but considering recent events, they are probably more willing to do so
    I`ve no problem regarding a preference and I have none especifically set for him. but what recent events? His bromance with Roy?
    Last edited by Aioros22; 07-28-2016 at 09:53 AM.

Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by Aioros22 View Post
    I`ve no problem regarding a preference and I have none especifically set for him. but what recent events? His bromance with Roy?
    Oh no, I'm talking mostly about how lots and lots of comic characters are coming out of the closet lately. Harley, Catwoman, Iceman, Catman, etc. Is definitely a trend.

Don't forget Machiavelli's The Prince and Sun Tzu's Art of War in the shelf as well.

I don't see the problem here. Gail Simone didn't create Catman either and she was the one who made him Bisexual which was ultimately approved by editorial recently. Is most likely that at the time DC didn't want to go along with Winick's idea but considering recent events, they are probably more willing to do so.

Also, a little hint, being Bi is not the same as being Gay. Jason can be attracted to both men and women so the last few romantic interests being girls doesn't mean that he can't like the other gender.
    Oh no, I'm talking mostly about how lots and lots of comic characters are coming out of the closet lately. Harley, Catwoman, Iceman, Catman, etc. Is definitely a trend.
    It could be a trend with Marvel but the same can't be said for DC. The examples you mention with Catman and Catwoman was during DCYOU where editorial was trying to appeal a new demographic but since its commercial failure those have been scrapped. Catwoman and Catman are missing, Harley has been moved to an AU. Hell, just take a look at Dick Grayson, despite Grayson having the most blatant teasing/pandering I've ever seen in a comic book from the big two; now as Nightwing they've doubled down on Batgirl and their "will they do it?" dynamic.

The only exception to the rule is WW and that is because DC gave Rucka absolute control over the book.

And yes, I know what bi means, I'm just pointing out there's no real evidence in the way Jason has been written since the N52 started to sustain that idea.

Veteran Member

Why not keep around a FEW heterosexual characters?

Don't forget Machiavelli's The Prince and Sun Tzu's Art of War in the shelf as well.

It could be a trend with Marvel but the same can't be said for DC. The examples you mention with Catman and Catwoman was during DCYOU where editorial was trying to appeal a new demographic but since its commercial failure those have been scrapped. Catwoman and Catman are missing, Harley has been moved to an AU. Hell, just take a look at Dick Grayson, despite Grayson having the most blatant teasing/pandering I've ever seen in a comic book from the big two; now as Nightwing they've doubled down on Batgirl and their "will they do it?" dynamic.

The only exception to the rule is WW and that is because DC gave Rucka absolute control over the book.

And yes, I know what bi means, I'm just pointing out there's no real evidence in the way Jason has been written since the N52 started to sustain that idea.
    Correlation does not imply causation...

Secret Six was launched before DCYou, as was Catwoman's reveal. Both were the decisions of their respective creators, and weren't announced. And they failed commercially because neither were high-selling books in the first place.

Awww. I hoped there would be a photo of the first Outlaws (with Rose and Crux) as part of Jason's touchstone too.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

Quote Originally Posted by Aioros22 View Post
    I think Loedbell mentioned this volume would be packed with easter eggs like that, that was a favorite panel! I enjoy writers still not forgetting that Jason enjoys reading and first editions which didn`t necessarily start with Winnick.

That quote is all sorts of cool.
    Lobdell also said the following about those easter eggs and their importance: "Rebirth is a strong start to a new series... and as you read it you'll start to notice just how much is secretly crammed into Rebirth in terms of building the world. There is almost not a panel that doesn't get used somewhere down the line. (Lots of Easter eggs are going to be bringing readers back to the Rebirth issue again and again over the next few months!)"

Anyway it was just something that really struck me when I read it.

Just because it's a trend doesn't make it a necessity that Lobdell jump on the bandwagon and I didn't read that line the way you apparently did myself so I suppose it's all up to interpretation. Personally, I haven't ever gotten the feeling that he was bi myself. Having said that though I wouldn't be against Jay being bi if they wanted to go that route and could do so organically so that it felt natural to the character. I certainly don't want it just shoehorned in just so they could check having a bi character off their list.

I hadn't forgotten but I guess I wasn't thinking of them as trophies per-say but you might be correct there. At the very least they are there to reference Jason's love of reading if nothing else.
    Aftershock: Alters/Captain Kid/Revisionist/Rough Riders
    DC: Action/Batman/Birds of Prey/Blue Beetle/Deadman/Doctor Fate/Doom Patrol/Earth2/Flash/Gotham Academy/Green Lanterns/Hawkman & Adam Strange/Midnighter & Apollo/New Super-Man/Nightwing/RHATO/Shade:TCG/Supergirl/Superman/Super Sons/Titans/Trinity/Vigilante
    Valiant: 4001AD/Archer & Armstrong/Bloodshot Reborn/Bloodshot USA/Britannia/Divinity/Faith/Generation Zero/Harbringer Renegades/Ninjak/Rai
    Viz: Boku no Hero Academia/ Owari no Seraph