Default Justice League Unlimited: Why Was The Question Considered Insane By Fellow Heroes?

I love the DCAU, particularly the Justice League tv show and the Question became one of my favorite characters from that show. But one thing I could never understand is why the Question's theories were dismissed as the ranting of a crackpot conspiracy theorist. I mean, the guy lives in a world were things like aliens, gods, sorcerers, plant people and talking apes are real and very much public knowledge. And the heroes are aware there's a government faction conspiring against them. Why would anything the Question says be considered stranger than what already exists in the DCAU?

Firstly, I don't think they thought he was insane or they never would have let him join (or I'm assuming they invited him). I'm sure they thought he was eccentric, and that most of his leads were dead ends or just plain weird (aglets, Girl Scouts.... who knows?) but that he was also able to think outside the box. I mean, BATMAN tasked him to investigate Cadmus, so he was obviously respected, even if he was seen as odd.

Incredible Member

umm, because he examined everybody's garbage? or maybe because he thought, there is a great conspiracy behind the popular boy bands?

Same reason why conspiracy theorists are considered crazy in our world. The sheeple need to wake up and smell the disinformation!

Quote Originally Posted by Ulysses View Post
    Same reason why conspiracy theorists are considered crazy in our world. The sheeple need to wake up and smell the disinformation!
    This. To many, The Question was seen as just a paranoid kook.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowsgirl View Post
    umm, because he examined everybody's garbage? or maybe because he thought, there is a great conspiracy behind the popular boy bands?
    I thought this was pretty evident, it's not that he was paranoid it was how he acted in being paranoid. He was pretty closed off and distant, hid his face from everyone, pretty obsessive, went through people's stuff. Etc. I'm pretty sure he'd talk to himself as well.
    Last edited by MadFacedKid; 07-23-2016 at 04:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MadFacedKid View Post
    I thought this was pretty evident, it's not that he was paranoid it was how he acted in being paranoid. He was pretty closed off and distant, hid his face from everyoje, pretty obsessive, went through people's stuff. Etc. I'm pretty sure he'd talk to himself as well.
    He definitely sang to himself - those boybands are darn catchy...

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    He definitely sang to himself - those boybands are darn catchy...
    Well that's not to bad, Grayson has his own theme song he sings. :P

You guys ever watch those Apocalypse/Lizard people/Illuminati/Alien civilization/Flat earth/Hollow earth videos on YouTube? Well JLU's Question as a dude is like those guys that host those vids. That's why.

Mighty Member
    Along one of the Birkeland Currents that traverse the Milky Way. I forget the exact cross streets.

Quote Originally Posted by MadFacedKid View Post
    I thought this was pretty evident, it's not that he was paranoid it was how he acted in being paranoid. He was pretty closed off and distant, hid his face from everyone, pretty obsessive, went through people's stuff. Etc. I'm pretty sure he'd talk to himself as well.
    No wonder Batman picked him.
    Parental care is way exhausting. Gained insight into what my parents went through when I was a baby. Not fun, but what ya gonna do? (Read comics, obviously.)

Ultimate Member

Insane? No. More like a high functioning autistic savant...

Fantastic Member

The JLU Question was also based on Rorschach from Watchmen and you can tell his teammates think hes nuts (even Nite-Owl his closest ally)

Spectacular Member Doctor-Comics's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JAG2045 View Post
    The JLU Question was also based on Rorschach from Watchmen and you can tell his teammates think hes nuts (even Nite-Owl his closest ally)
    More likely the other way around, really, and the JLU Question was just exploiting his roots and Ditko's own personal "out there" beliefs.
    "The history of comics is not a long one, and it's not unknowable."--Neil Gaiman