Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Amalgam Comics: 20 Things Worth Remembering After 20 Years

2016 marks the 20th anniversary of Amalgam Comics, and we're celebrating by spotlighting 20 of the coolest parts of the DC/Marvel crossover event!

Full article here.

My favorite is Amazon!

I also like Dark Claw, Sparrow, Doctor STrangefate and Thanoseid
    "Lightning, deliver this place from darkness." - Storm in X-men TAS.

You should read The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl ongoing solo and Scarlet Witch ongoing solo

"The Month of May is Ororo Munroe aka Storm Month"

Faves: Ororo Munroe aka Storm (Marvel), X (Dark Horse), Vincent Van Goat (Valiant), Superboy Prime (DC), Ingrid (Street Fighter), Celine Dion (Music)

Storm is the leader of the X-men: Extraordinary X-men ongoing by Jeff Lemire

I think that Marvel and DC backed themselves into a corner with some of the character names-- are they all off-limits for one company to use if it's not the Amalgam character?

For example, I think that SUPER-SOLDIER should be a Marvel exclusive trademark, but oh well.

If reprint trades are done, fine. But I'm not hot on seeing anything like that again. I'd rather see just regular crossover mini-series preferably without any dimension warp conceit.

Newbie Member

How can you forget Lobo The Duck? The funniest comic of all Amalgam series

Rookie Member

I'd love to see a follow-up with the next year's titles as well. The Legion send-up was spot-on, incorporating the classic version, the TMK version, and the post-Zero Hour reboot version, and working well with Spider-Man 2099, and the Challengers of the Fantastic were name-dropped in the Spider-Boy book the first time around, to get their own book in the second round of Amalgam.

i personally really liked Speed Demon, was always disappointed that they never did anything else with him after his initial comic.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    I think that Marvel and DC backed themselves into a corner with some of the character names-- are they all off-limits for one company to use if it's not the Amalgam character?

For example, I think that SUPER-SOLDIER should be a Marvel exclusive trademark, but oh well.
    So should Spider-Boy. I bet the trademark being shared is why Miles is called Kid Arachnid in the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon. Spider-Boy would've been a logical choice otherwise.

I see Hyena (JokerXSabretooth) is called Creed H Quinn. I guess with Joker's real name not revealed they decided to make a reference to Harley Quinn instead - who was a new character at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post

If reprint trades are done, fine. But I'm not hot on seeing anything like that again. I'd rather see just regular crossover mini-series preferably without any dimension warp conceit.
    I can tell Bullseye and Deadshot were merged. What did his name become? Bull Shot? Dead Eye?

Amazon, Dark Claw and Super Soldier are not surprisingly the most iconic. Surprised there wasn't a Nova/Green Lantern merged character, though? Kyle Rider, anyone? Also think that Nightwing and Spider-Man would have made more sense.

Was Arrowcaster a combo of Speedy and Sleepwalker?

Mega-City One judge Judge_Dredd's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by xpyred View Post
    I can tell Bullseye and Deadshot were merged. What did his name become? Bull Shot? Dead Eye?
    It was in the article: "Catsai kills Deadeye (a merged Deadshot and Bullseye) "

Boisterously Confused

One of the most fun parts about the whole thing was "the letters pages", filled with spot on imitations of what you would have expected to read from fans of these books and characters.

I loved the whole idea of Amalgam. Wish they'd bring that back. I loved Super Soldier, such an interesting character. I remember that Challengers of the Fantastic Book someone mentioned too. I think it was that one that had a reference to an Earth 1 type world, where all those characters existed in the World War Two era.
    Check out www.hardcoalstudios.com for webcomics, comics, blogs, and my novella, Frankenstein: The Illuminatus Complex.

Rookie Member

Derek Metaltron:

Surprised there wasn't a Nova/Green Lantern merged character, though?
    They merged Iron Man with GL ("Iron Lantern") in the second Amalgam wave.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by cmkeller View Post
    Derek Metaltron:

They merged Iron Man with GL ("Iron Lantern") in the second Amalgam wave.
    That was Busiek's love letter to his favorite characters from each company (and well-done it was too). Still, I always wondered if Green Lantern wouldn't have made a better mashup with either Mar-Vell or Silver Surfer, and Iron Man with Blue Beetle or Robot Man.